Jun 02, 2014, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

futaba sg14 or spektrum dx18?

Hi there,
Need to retire my 10x after years of service now converted to 2.4 spectrum module. It doesn't give the warm and fuzzys anymore
Looking at futaba sg14 or dx18 spektrum.
All input welcome
Art
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2014, 09:31 PM
S.A.D. member
Get each of them in your hands and see how they feel.

If you have many Spektrum receivers the DX18 will have an advantage as it is compatible with them. With the 14SG you will have to change all receivers.

Ivan
Jun 03, 2014, 08:29 AM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
You really should visit hobby shops, clubs or local spots where flyers may get together and see what they are using. Then see if you can hold them and play with the menu and see which one feels nice in your hands and is easy to program/navigate.

IMO if have you no experience with either you may find the DX18 easier to program but that's based on my experience with spektrum and my brothers Futaba.

Good luck with your purchase.
Jun 03, 2014, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedbalsa
Hi there,
Need to retire my 10x after years of service now converted to 2.4 spectrum module. It doesn't give the warm and fuzzys anymore
Looking at futaba sg14 or dx18 spektrum.
All input welcome
Art
JR10X ?

The programming is a learning curve -either way but the Spektrum is more intuitive. I had all the JRtx - 10s 10sx 10 x - far preferred em compared against the 9Z Futaba had .
Just plain old easier to use and get things "right".
weight of the DX18 and your 10X -pretty much the same (DX9 is lighter)
the battery setup on the 10X sucked -the DX18 much better.
Sticks are a bout the same - but no analog throttle trim..
One biggie in your comparison worth noting:
the DX18 will work with ANY Spektrum rx except for the old 6000 which was the first Spektrum rx - not worth consideration today.
The Futaba 14 is a nice unit but does not have the full interchangability of Futaba 2.4 rxs .
The list of features on each is pretty long .
read em - decide what works for you.
Jun 03, 2014, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
Get each of them in your hands and see how they feel.
Ivan
This actually might have been useful for me. I wasn't able to do that and now the 14SG really isn't comfortable for my hands. I've only used it several hours so it might get easier, but the main problem is it has these two ridges on the back for no apparent reason. So my fingers can't wrap around the back properly and after an hour or so of holding it I actually did start getting some pain.

The 14SG might have a good feature list but the execution is just bad, sorry. Two examples.

-It doesn't even have a speaker for the voice alerts! Earphone jack only. Huh?
-There are basically zero options for telemetry alarms. Not at all configurable.
-The menu structure, user interface, instruction manual - all 100% idiotic, sorry. That said, it's still completely usable and all the info is there in the manual once you decipher it.
Jun 03, 2014, 11:32 AM
Thread OP
wow ...
does anyone know if either of these will be replaced with somthing else
more updated soon?
reading this makes me wonder if just goin with the new jr platform maybe worth it.
ive read alot of bad things about spektrum and honestly had some trouble with my own ...thats why im fishing for info. just dont like the looks of the mr. roboto 11x
i have read futaba logic is a bit wierd for some and have felt that before in older radios ive handled..........................hmmmmm........... ...
Jun 03, 2014, 05:12 PM
S.A.D. member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedbalsa
. . .
i have read futaba logic is a bit wierd for some and have felt that before in older radios ive handled..........................hmmmmm........... ...
I'm just the opposite - to me Futaba logic is more intuitive than JR and even Spektrum.

As far as Futaba manuals, I am sorta used to reading and understanding Futabese.

Ivan
Jun 03, 2014, 06:05 PM
jjc
jjc
Try every radio in your hands that your interested in, before you buy it! The 14SG fit me perfectly. But everybody's hands are different. John
Jun 03, 2014, 06:37 PM
I never even considered Spektrum since there was some question as to its signal reliability. With Futaba there was none. But yes I woudn't worry about interface differences. Like most products, it makes no logical sense, but it's almost fun to figure it out. Like a puzzle.

I think I read the 8FG might be better built than 14SG. If you don't need telemetry, maybe that's the way to go? I read an 18SG is coming, toward end of year?
Jun 03, 2014, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks everyone for the good info .
Definitely gonna take advise and grab a hold and check em out
Telemetry is for sure in my future ..I thinks there's a lot good things to find out by putting sensors on everything........like I don't see enough of them at work....but that's another story.
think i'm leaning towards speaking futabanese tho!

Quick Reply