May 29, 2018, 04:47 AM
Thread OP

Sunday Chaos

Utter Chaos over the Field

Headed up wind and thermaled out.

Came back down four times with full flaps.

Eagle came to have a look, but left again.

Wasn't concerned.

Landed 13 Minutes later

Hee Hee

whacker
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2018, 05:43 PM
R2R
R2R
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacker
Utter Chaos over the Field

Headed up wind and thermaled out.

Came back down four times with full flaps.

Eagle came to have a look, but left again.

Wasn't concerned.

Landed 13 Minutes later

Hee Hee

whacker
whacker,

Were you launching downwind?
May 29, 2018, 06:00 PM
Thread OP
Hi R

I wasn't paying to much attention to the direction, at times my windsock was rotating around the pivot.

Had I used my wind meter, I don't think it would have registered 3 MPH

There was nothing that had me concerned with the direction I was Launching, as there was next to nothing for wind.

I retrieved the chute about 600 ft away I suppose, so it sure wasn't breezy enough to come closer.

I could have launched at the south end of the field as well and picked the chute up that far away.

wild ride.

whacker
Jun 30, 2018, 07:24 AM
Thread OP

June 30, Rise and Shine

Big Blast of Warm air

Effects of the full moon, that's my take

at 8:30 we have 75 Degrees, and the Humidity is perhaps 70%
Did get set up and had 3 Launches before 9 . couldn't stay up longer then 4 Minutes, all though I was flying a pretty big wing.

There where sum bubbles but seemed to loose strength quickly,

I should have been able to keep up as wind was under 4 MPh.

Perhaps I should have tighten up my turns

whacker

in sny NS
Jun 30, 2018, 08:23 AM
Thread OP

Made it at the 9:30 Hr

After a couple practice Launches I got out

Hey
Cecil, Great plane, hope you seen it , the big Yellow one.

what a plane, truly astounding that a plane designed in the 70's can move like that, and thermal with ease.

Pulled the spoilers at five minutes, two minute ride down.

Found some sink, woo hoo, yuup, goes with the territory.

Back on the ground shortly after 10 minutes.

what a ride, hope to do that again

whacker
Jul 18, 2018, 06:31 AM
Thread OP

Mid week Meltdown

Good Day

we have had some great weather here out east the last week or so.

Had over 30 launchs the other day with 7 different planes

The Sagitta 900 sure is a performer. when set in a turn it just seems to stay there, the aspect ratio seems just right, and not a lot of control input required in a turn, thought I had a great ride, best of the day matter of fact around 4 P.M . Finally had done enough probing and determined all the thermals where tripping out of an area slightly to the east

The thermals would arrive at my position every 5 minutes or so, and there was plenty of sink in back

500 ft away the wind sock was pointing towards me, nearby a mylar tape indicator was pointed more to the west as breeze rolled thru.

Later I had the Bird of Time rockin, a 10 minute flight included over 5 minutes of circling the field at 100 ft or so, Circle diameter of perhaps 600 ft, within the box of trees here,

On occasion a slight bump in lift found me making a turn or two to get a little higher, soon though back down for another pass.

My scratched Bird of Time sure flies just dandy, not as stable as the Sagitta 900 but deserves a spot in the Hanger

Of course around 7 PM I launched the Maxa, had taken all others home by then and the Maxa was the last plane out there, breeze under 3 MPH,
Effortless to fly, could perform the same antics with the Maxa as with the Bird of Time some two hrs later.

It rained here over night, humidity levels have been building the last week or so, and temperatures, near 30 Deg C most every day, perhaps the rain pushed out the humid air, and cooler stuff will prevail, which often gives awesome soaring conditions
whacker

Some Low level Circles

whacker
in cloudy but clearing NS
Sep 29, 2018, 11:32 AM
Thread OP

Last Flight,last wknd in September

It's past 1 PM the ground is still wet in the shade

Had a nice 9 Minute ride though, launching 90 Degrees or so to the wind.

Not a very good launch really, but hooked on to a couple thermals.

Sunny here after a few days of low clouds and light drizzle.

Must be near 70 degrees I suppose.

There will be a few more Launches before sundown

whacker
in sny Tatamagouche
Sep 29, 2018, 02:27 PM
In Halifax we had overcast with drizzle until 11 am then the clouds cleared to a bright blue sky.
Flying my 2m Electric RES Mayfly under cloudy skies got several low level thermals and when the sun came out thermals disappeared. Must have gone to Tatamagouche.
Doing final covering on my 3.2m Pulsar after hitting a high tension power pylon two weeks ago.
Sep 30, 2018, 04:57 AM
Thread OP
HTPP ?

They can be nasty , happy to hear your in final preparations so the Pulsar can fly again

Some real expertise there in fixing those birds

Here the wind got up to over 15 mph at times, so I needed some luck to track lift down, as well it was ranging from the west / North west.

I spent the morning watching from the window, and thought it better to go fly rather then Dream about it.

Sadly my buddy beat me later with a 2 M bird and had a 10 minute flight or two.

Got full landing Points though

whacker
in Dark Tatamagouche
Nov 22, 2018, 11:47 AM
Thread OP

Last Soaring Nov 09

Since then

2 Back to back snow falls of 6 inch or so

Is this it

I suppose I should add the doors and the blower to the Tractor

whacker

in sny Tatamagouche
Last edited by whacker; Nov 23, 2018 at 11:12 AM.
Mar 13, 2019, 06:44 AM
Thread OP

Been a While

No Hi Starts, No winches

Planes left to cold soak in the shop, others hanging from the dungeon ceiling to look at while enjoying a mid winter Siesta, or dropping a bit of glue over the Latest Build

Well guess what, fear no more, this time last year I was getting batteries charged for my first march to the field on April fools Day.

Seems it's been a long winter. I recon no longer then the last one though

I have a new Scratch Build to test out 1st thing in April, or sooner, 100 Inch WS, more on it later.

Snow still on the field here in Nova Scotias, Northumberland Region, Others refer to it as North, but after having been here a few years now, I see Cape Breton as North

Shine up your Hi Starts, Polish your winches.

What you been Building?

Let the 2019 Flying season Begin

whacker

in sny Tatamagouche
Mar 13, 2019, 10:05 AM
Starting to take inventory of batteries and radio stuff here.
The snow is slowly oozing into the road and looks like it will continue. Maybe we will be flying sooner than april 1?
Mar 14, 2019, 04:13 AM
Thread OP
mdickey

Thanks for sending the Great weather our way, seems what you have has been funneling in here

whacker
Mar 17, 2019, 09:35 AM
Thread OP

Batteries , Batteries

Gotta love those Eneloop, 2000's

Sitting since last Novemeber at 35 deg F or so, the first two I discharged held 1751 and 1740 Mah respectively

I fell that's impressive. Now onto a few cycles. and they will be ready.

Most of the field is clear, so just waiting for the rest of the Frost to get out and then it will dry off nicely. No clay here so drainage is quite good.

Winch battery, was charged off and on the last few months so it should be good to go.

There's a hi start here as well, so that's easy.

whacker
in sny Tatamagouche
Mar 17, 2019, 10:29 AM
My eneloop batteries are in great condition but, sadly, I have to retire a few of my LiPo's. Some of my older ones have reached 5 and 6 years old and are in rough condition. They served me well and provided many great flights and several good laughs. 38 degrees and sunny here with no snow on the ground.

Quick Reply