May 31, 2014, 04:18 AM
Thread OP
Cool

Thermal Soaring on the East Coast,Canada, how was your last Flight

Nova Scotia Soaring

There's a few of us anyways, thanks to the Gang from Halifax for making the Trip North
We had a Great Day

whacker
Last edited by whacker; Mar 23, 2019 at 09:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2014, 03:04 PM
Awesome flying day. After a miserable spring, it was a joy to get together with a great bunch of sailplane fliers on a perfect day. We flew a variety of aircraft over a long day. Walter's flying site was large and well groomed and his golf cart for winch retrieval was a bonus. the presence of eagles, who flew happily with us was amazing. I am sure that they learned a few soaring tricks from our models.
I was out flying at our local field on Saturday and Sunday but nothing compared with the session at Walter's.
John O'S
Jul 19, 2014, 05:24 AM
Thread OP

Temperature near 30 Feg C

It was another Great Day for flying

Graupner Cirrus

Falcon 880

Icon

I flew in this order, the winds where shifty all day , I suppose more then 10 mph most of the time.

I reset the winch 3 times to deal with wind shifts, however mostly winds out of the west.

This I find the least favorable for the winch, more real estate North to south..
Best are launches to the North, there always seems to be ridge lift in this case, and 10 minute flights are easy

The Falcon 880 is a sweet flying plane, a little lighter then the Icon, and nicely suited for light lift.

Still trying to find the sweet spot with the Cirrus, It may be that it`s niche is when there is a Gale

The Icon, just excels all round; Awesome flight envelope and a joy to launch and fly, rock steady.

All batteries are charging as I write this.
Todays lineup , after I make Breakfast for our Guests

Majestic
Elio
Icon
Sagitta 900
Cirrus
Falcon 880

Light breeze at 7 A.M from the south, however later is to change from the North

Time to get the Bacon started
Perfect

whacker
Jul 19, 2014, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
Hazy and Humid 27 Deg C at 11 AM
Icon, Majestic and Falcon 880 all had a run up the line
Majestic soared fantastic for 15 minutes

2 PM Update
Majestic flight 23 minutes

4 PM Update
Elio, Sagitta 900, and the Cirrus have also been up..
Got a 9 minute flight with the Cirrus, it sure likes pace and a breeze... LOL

7 PM
24 launches all told, Total 155 Minutes flying
Majestic out performed all others with the 23 minute flight.

Falcon 880 was up for a flight of 12 minutes.

Most flights where 5 to 9 minutes in length

Elio and Cirrus both had 9 minute flights

Thermals where very few.
I look forward to some drier air which should get more thermals popping.

whacker
Last edited by whacker; Jul 19, 2014 at 05:28 PM.
Aug 29, 2016, 06:01 AM
Thread OP

Waughs River Valley Flying

Sailing yesterday the 29th.

Wonderful lift, skied out 1st tow with the Elio

Love it

and got a tour of the Andreas kit, nice, well documented..

Like it

whacker
Aug 30, 2016, 09:44 AM
looks like fun times for sure
Aug 30, 2016, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whacker
Sailing yesterday the 29th.

Wonderful lift, skied out 1st tow with the Elio

Love it

and got a tour of the Andreas kit, nice, well documented..

Like it

whacker
I was up to whacker's place on Sunday. That's me in the pic next to the winch and whacker's Legionair.
The Thermal conditions were crazy.

I was practicing winch launches using my Elio, a 2.5m wingspan RES built by whacker.

He did the first launch and then handed control to me.
WOW what a flight. I had enough altitude that the 2.5m wing appeared to be about 1/4" across. Had to have been in excess of 1000' . I had to work at not going up at a ridiculous rate. Wish I had telemetry/altimeter in the plane .
Lift was everywhere, even seagulls were thermalling. And a couple of eagles, but they were way up there. We showed the gulls how its done and the eagles made us look like beginners. When I decided to come down I opened my spoilers fully and it still took along time to come down.

The next couple of launches didn't work so well...popping off at around 100-150' but still managed to get 2-4 mins. Need some more practice to get a handle on the tapping of the pedal so as to not over stress the plane while still keeping her climbing and not stalling.

The Last flight was a pretty good launch with me on the pedal and whacker throwing. The flight lasted 34min 21sec( neck getting sore and almost time to head for home) and spent most of that above 700' . When I decided to come down I put her in a spiral. When I was low enough I straightened out to make my landing approach and when I turned for the downwind... she started going up again...whacker laughed as I said out loud " Stop that". :lol:

There were even a couple of smaller areas of lift low down that let us practice staying in the little stuff.

Best Thermal day yet.

I have say Thanks to whacker for having me up to his place again. We always have a good time and I always learn something.

It's too bad a couple of the other glider guiders in my club couldn't make it...it's always more fun with a bigger crowd. We are having a glider day this weekend to have some fun and see if we can get some more people interested, and to. Let's hope the conditions are even a little bit of what we had on Sunday.

Andrew
Last edited by Andrew Smith; Aug 30, 2016 at 06:22 PM.
Aug 30, 2016, 05:41 PM

Did it!

Back in the late 60 -70's my wife and I holidayed in NS every summer. However, I found that the sand dunes on PEI were much easier to use. Did it again later with my Hobie Hawk. Never got the courage to use the cliffs along Lady Slipper Drive on the West side.

The local farmers on NS were very curious about RC. Then horse racing seemed to have removed access to those large mowed fields.

Glad to see that RC soaring is alive and well up their!

Cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by whacker
Nova Scotia Soaring

There's a few of us anyways, thanks to the Gang from Halifax for making the Trip North
We had a Great Day

whacker
Aug 30, 2016, 06:32 PM
Hi Jim,
Based on my limited experience, we're still kicking if not alive and well.
Never seems to be alot of "interest" at least in my area around Halifax for thermal soaring.
Sloping gets alot more attention( we fly from the cliff just east of Dartmouth by Lawrencetown beach...90-100' almost straight down to the Atlantic). I guess maybe sloping is easier to pick up and can be done with almost any plane if the wind is right.
The guys in my club who don't thermal are always impressed with the two 3.2m Pulsars in the club, but they still don't try it.
Oh Well...we all have our own interests, but we keep trying to get more folks interested in thermal soaring.

Andrew
Aug 31, 2016, 05:39 AM
Thread OP

Lantz this weekend

Drop on out

whacker
Aug 31, 2016, 08:45 AM

Hello

Hello Andrew:
Glad to hear that!!!

TD is a tuff sell. Need a winch or high start and a TD ship and not a solo adventure. Yes, you can use e-power?

Sloping is quick, keep the ship in the boot, get it out and fly

Quick question:
The NW side of NS, when we last visited, had the most beautiful churches (cathedrals) about every 20-30 miles almost on the very cliff. A long ways down! Not many people attended services. Not sure how they were able to even sustain the upkeep.

Are those beautiful edifices still functioning? I hope I am not getting confused with NW Cape Breton.................... Stop getting older, you be much happier! It's been at least 50 years since my last visit.

We planned on doing a 3 week nostalgic trip this past summer, just did not work out: Green Gables, Cavendish Beach (red sand) etc.

I am glad "WACKER" stopped selling Airtronics parts. The guy down here who is sitting on the copyrights has already take several people to court.

Thanks again for taking the time to write.
cheers
Jim
PS: 50 years ago a rich little old lady was buying up water front properties (NS). Knowledge of her?

We tried to buy. Big hurdles for a non Canadian, but possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith
Hi Jim,
Based on my limited experience, we're still kicking if not alive and well.
Never seems to be alot of "interest" at least in my area around Halifax for thermal soaring.
Sloping gets alot more attention( we fly from the cliff just east of Dartmouth by Lawrencetown beach...90-100' almost straight down to the Atlantic). I guess maybe sloping is easier to pick up and can be done with almost any plane if the wind is right.
The guys in my club who don't thermal are always impressed with the two 3.2m Pulsars in the club, but they still don't try it.
Oh Well...we all have our own interests, but we keep trying to get more folks interested in thermal soaring.

Andrew
Aug 31, 2016, 10:56 AM
Sounds more like Cape Breton for the churches.
Whacker is just inland from the north shore of the mainland of NS across from PEI.
I fly electric gliders and am just getting started with winch/histart launches.

PEI was very strict on non residents buying property. NS is not so strict.

Andrew
Aug 31, 2016, 04:18 PM

Hello

Hi:

Yes I just dug out some slides, Cape Breton. A great resturant on the west side of Cape Breton, called the Blue Whale. We have three wine bottles (empty) save in the rafters with 100's of others. Great idea, returnes look for their bottles....
We are losing our flying fields. Difficult to find a farmer who will let you use a 300ft x 1100 ft long field for practice. And keep it mowed! We do have a few sod farms that cooperate. I've converted to scale as we can launch large sailplanes from a really small field. Tugs are also electric powered. Keeps the neighbors happy?

Some of us have been visited by the local cops, because some one complained of model airplane noise. All were winch or high start ships, no motors at all!!!!

Cheers
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith
Sounds more like Cape Breton for the churches.
Whacker is just inland from the north shore of the mainland of NS across from PEI.
I fly electric gliders and am just getting started with winch/histart launches.

PEI was very strict on non residents buying property. NS is not so strict.

Andrew
Sep 03, 2016, 03:37 AM
Thread OP

Soaring in NS

Still time to make it to Lantz Soaring

Unfortunately I can't make it, I am sure there will be others there.

Lots of Sailplanes , favorable breezes from the North / North West and lots of Sunshine

Pack lots of Water , and a Picnic Lunch, though Food is available a 10 minute or so drive away

I'm looking forward to all the Pictures later on

whacker
Sep 03, 2016, 05:47 AM
Just leaving for Lantz
Too bad you can't make it Walter.
I was not able to make it to your place last week and was looking forward to seeing your new fleet.

Quick Reply