This thread is privately moderated by wingloada, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 30, 2014, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Mimi 1M DLG

Since I had some time over the long holiday weekend, I decided to take on a quick build of the Mimi 1M DLG with built-up wing option. I had gathered the plans and parts beforehand so the build only took about three days.
Last edited by wingloada; Jun 04, 2014 at 04:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2014, 11:02 AM
Thread OP

First flight

I had the chance to fly the plane this weekend. There was too much elevator throw and the plane was a little tail heavy both making the plane touchy, to say the least, but even so, once adjusted she flew well.
Last edited by wingloada; Jun 30, 2016 at 09:13 AM.
Jul 02, 2014, 02:57 PM
Sailplanes Rock & Balsa Rules!
You don't happen to have a shopping list of the balsa and parts that you used to build your bird do you? I am about to start a build for myself using the built-up wing design. I'd appreciate any advise you want to offer. I have seen the other threads on the Mimi as well.

Thanks Craig
Jul 03, 2014, 07:09 PM
Thread OP
Craig, here it is. It might not be everything, but it's nearly everything. It's a relatively inexpensive plane to make. I adhered the shear webs to the rear edge of the spar rather than the fore edge as shown on the plan. This might have weakened the wing a bit but I didn't notice it in flight. I wrapped the pod in fiberglass to strengthen it. The weight added was only a tiny amount compared to strength. I used a flat throwing peg rather than a tubular one. I mounted the stab servo under the wing and the rudder servo in the pod forward. This gave room for the round LiPo cell for the radio battery up front. It's easy to not get the decalage at 0º for the stab but trim will fix it. I added some CF tow to the bottom LE of the fin for landing resistance. I also reduced the dihedral just a little and it seemed fine on the flights. I used 1/16" balsa for the ribs ( as given on the plans as an option). They were a little harder to work with (tiny and fragile) but the wing seemed plenty strong with them. I added the CF root doubler fabric just to be certain that the wing was strong at the joint. This could easily have been fiberglass instead. That's all I can think of in terms of mods and pointers. Have a good time with it.

W
Last edited by wingloada; Jul 04, 2014 at 09:17 AM.
Jul 05, 2014, 07:42 AM
W - Fantastic - thanks! This saves me a ton of time compiling the list.
Craig
Aug 05, 2014, 06:25 PM
Wingloda: Summer and all it involves have stalled my plans a bit but I am driving to Boston tomorrow for a meeting and will stop by National Balsa to pick up my order of wood for this build. I still have some of the other supplies to round up. But I am at least about to start on the wings!

Thanks again for your helpful shopping list.

I also bought a Libelle and have been flying her along with the electrified Gentle Lady I built this Winter. An Olly II is on my to-do for this Winter but first the Mimi!

Craig
Last edited by Cbed90; Aug 05, 2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Dec 31, 2014, 05:54 AM

Mimi Finished

W

Thanks for you help and the materials list. I finally wrapped up the build of my Mimi and am anxious to take her out for a maiden launch. Just need some decent weather. I can take cold so long as it's calm! Thanks again!
Jan 18, 2015, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
Looks great Cbed90! Post flight images/video/reports here if you like.

Stay warm.

W

Quick Reply