May 29, 2014, 04:25 AM
Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliB
my x8 is the best of most worlds
cheap, runs off 4s 5000mah for $25
flight time is 14minutes fully loaded with nex5n 18-55 and ag500.

its a belter :P and now with retracts.
14 minutes! That's great, I get 5 minutes with my flat hexa, with 4s5A.

Would you mind telling me what frame, motor's and prop's are you using?
to remove ads between posts
May 29, 2014, 04:28 AM
kitesurfer
its with 2 x 4s 5000mah. but they're super cheap batteries which is good.

on my custom grame, with 3110 and 12x6 props.

my frame is alot lighter than anything on the market, which makes a huge difference.
May 29, 2014, 04:35 AM
Explorer
ok, thanks
May 30, 2014, 11:00 AM
Multirotor Promotor
subscribed
May 31, 2014, 07:10 PM
I just finished building up our new F500-Y6 conversion kit, for the DJI F550. What this does is lets you take a standard F550 hex, and convert it to a Y6, with a slightly smaller footprint (500mm motor-to-motor diameter...). What got me going on this was that on most days around here, I just can't fly the Phantom because of the just about daily breezy conditions (varies from 10-20 mph... ). I was happier with my F450 setup, which flies much smoother than my P2, but it too doesn't do well in these winds. What I needed was something along the lines of the "Shrimp" that we did before, which does just fine in these winds. The problem with the Shrimp is that it just wasn't all that commercially viable, due to the costs.

I've got several F550s in my "boneyard", and a whole bunch of DJI 2212 motors, 30A ESCs and 10.3.8" props, so I decided to see if we could revisit converting one of these to a Y6. We had looked at this before, but it basically was going to add a CF top stiffening plate to the existing DJI arm. This added too much weight, in my opinion, and it wasn't a very "clean" option. This new approach simply replaces the DJI arm with two plates of 3mm thick CF. The result is a very stiff setup that is lighter as well. Instead of making the arms longer, which we certainly could do, I decided for this variant, I wanted a smaller footprint, not larger, so the arm plates a bit shorter than the stock plastic arms. The diameter is 500mm, which I find is the perfect size for use with the small DJI motors and my favorite 10x4.3" DJI props. You could probably go as big as 12" on the props, but as a platform for a GoPro, you really don't need to go bigger than 10".

I then added one of our lightweight F450 LG sets, and my AG300 setup, with the H3B and a PolarPro ND filter. This setup also has a DJI AVL58 vTx, an iOSD mini and a 4s-6000 pack. The AUW is 2460g, or about 5lb 6.8oz.

Tomorrow I will do the maiden flight, and I'll post the video here. I've already tested the gimbal/camera setup on the F450, with good results, so I'm not really expecting any surprises with this setup, but we'll see. It might still require some PID tweaks. Once the CP controllers are here, this will be about as perfect a GoPro setup as you can get.

Anyway, as soon as I get this tested, we will make the Y6 kits available, and we will do combos with the LG/ISO set and with the AG300s.

-- Gary
Jun 01, 2014, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
I just finished building up our new F500-Y6 conversion kit, for the DJI F550. What this does is lets you take a standard F550 hex, and convert it to a Y6, with a slightly smaller footprint (500mm motor-to-motor diameter...). What got me going on this was that on most days around here, I just can't fly the Phantom because of the just about daily breezy conditions (varies from 10-20 mph... ). I was happier with my F450 setup, which flies much smoother than my P2, but it too doesn't do well in these winds. What I needed was something along the lines of the "Shrimp" that we did before, which does just fine in these winds. The problem with the Shrimp is that it just wasn't all that commercially viable, due to the costs.

I've got several F550s in my "boneyard", and a whole bunch of DJI 2212 motors, 30A ESCs and 10.3.8" props, so I decided to see if we could revisit converting one of these to a Y6. We had looked at this before, but it basically was going to add a CF top stiffening plate to the existing DJI arm. This added too much weight, in my opinion, and it wasn't a very "clean" option. This new approach simply replaces the DJI arm with two plates of 3mm thick CF. The result is a very stiff setup that is lighter as well. Instead of making the arms longer, which we certainly could do, I decided for this variant, I wanted a smaller footprint, not larger, so the arm plates a bit shorter than the stock plastic arms. The diameter is 500mm, which I find is the perfect size for use with the small DJI motors and my favorite 10x4.3" DJI props. You could probably go as big as 12" on the props, but as a platform for a GoPro, you really don't need to go bigger than 10".

I then added one of our lightweight F450 LG sets, and my AG300 setup, with the H3B and a PolarPro ND filter. This setup also has a DJI AVL58 vTx, an iOSD mini and a 4s-6000 pack. The AUW is 2460g, or about 5lb 6.8oz.

Tomorrow I will do the maiden flight, and I'll post the video here. I've already tested the gimbal/camera setup on the F450, with good results, so I'm not really expecting any surprises with this setup, but we'll see. It might still require some PID tweaks. Once the CP controllers are here, this will be about as perfect a GoPro setup as you can get.

Anyway, as soon as I get this tested, we will make the Y6 kits available, and we will do combos with the LG/ISO set and with the AG300s.

-- Gary

This a really sweet conversion, nice work. I gather you are using a NAZA-M V2 as I see the GPS and you said you were using DJI's OSD and VTX. I was aware that The NAZA support Y6 copters.

Good luck with the maiden, I will be interested in seeing your video of and from the Y6.

HD
Jun 01, 2014, 11:00 AM
I did a quick hover test late yesterday afternoon, and it worked quite well. Zero vibrations in the skids, which is always a good sign. I was using a 4s-6000 NanoTech pack, which apparently is on its way out, because it got warm and puffed at the end of the 7 minute flight. This is the second NanoTech pack I've had fail on me after minimal use. Back to plain Zippys for me.

Anyway, the Y6 did really well, and was rock solid in the light breezy conditions late yesterday. This is what I was hoping for, better wind performance. Today I will do some more extensive testing, with a new pack.

-- Gary
Jun 01, 2014, 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daloaf
TPpacks's old thread has had a great run, but I think it's time to start a new fresh thread discussing their awesome copters and gimbals. If you have any questions or concerns or just want to share photos and videos of TPpacks.com copters or burshless gimbals, this is the place to do it. Gary (GGoodrum) and Andrey (Askman), the guys who sell and make these copters will be on here handling any questions you might have.

The old thread is located here if you want to go back and look something up:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...=1582036&pp=75

I'll also update this first thread with any important news about TPpacks and their copters and gimbals.

To start off with, here are a few photos of my Tarot 810 hex with a TPPacks AG1000 gimbal carrying a GH3 (I now have a GH4 on it).

Matt

Ohh Matt that Tarot is a multirotor O-gsm ! LOL... thats the machine I aim to build after my vulcan hexa...
What retracts are you using?...

I want to buy the GH4 gimbal AG1000 hope I can get Gary to build me one... I am after the CP controller also so if it can be sold together here is my money !!...

Now I am using another gimbal and I am not satisfied.. it has landing gear attached so no retracts but I have other problems because of this... I have to keep the motors off in alexmos with the RC settings, so when I take off it doesn't fight with the A2 on the yaw axis... and maybe even induce a violent take off or crash...

Hope I can get one of that gimbals, looks real nice indeed... I am ordering the GH4 soon so I need a gimbal for it....

which converter are you using for GH4? the green one looks like mine from goodluckbuy I use for the Nex5n... is identical on the outside !...

TKS and congratulations, you have one of a hell multirotor system !...
Last edited by jocheluich; Jun 01, 2014 at 10:16 PM.
Jun 02, 2014, 02:01 AM
Hey guys! I have been busy with a lot of other projects and have not had a chance to do much with aerial stuff lately. Looks like there has been a lot of progress since I have been gone. I am looking to sell my current setup but plan to build something else in the future. I currently have the following configuration:

Lobster V2
Avroto 2814 motors
T-Motor 11" carbon props
Naza V1
AG500DD gimabl (2 axis)
Futaba 8J
Boscam 5.8ghz TX/RX with cloverleaf antenas

I will be making a post in the classified section but though I would post here also.
Last edited by RCmit; Jun 02, 2014 at 02:08 AM.
Jun 02, 2014, 06:37 PM
I did two more flights with the F500-Y6 conversion, and the AG300. In both flights the platform itself flew well, and is quite stable. In both cases there were light breezes with occasional stronger gusts. These are the conditions that usually cause problems for my Phantom 2. Anyway, as expected, there's little to no vibrations. In the video below, you can see that the left skid has zero vibrations.

On the second flight, which is the video below, I tweaked the AlexMos PID settings, on the gimbal controller, and it is working pretty well now.

F500-Y6 AG300 Test-03 (3 min 41 sec)

All-in-all, I'm very happy with this setup. They only thing I will change, at some point, would be to swap out the AMB for the new Phobotics CP controller, once they finally are here. For now, though, it is working fine with the YUN3xs with the v2.3b5 firmware.

-- Gary
Jun 02, 2014, 11:31 PM
Hi Gary... can I order the AG1000 or is it still under development?.. TKS
Jun 02, 2014, 11:39 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF
Hi Matt. Didn't know that a new RX100 was coming out. Just read the specs and this could be a real winner and superior to the NEX5 line. The new codec should be much better and finally a realtime (clean) HDMI output. Put this 290g camera on a smaller gimbal and quad copter like the Osprey and you have high quality, easy to transport copter for a much lower price than a GH3/4 with a big hexa or octocopter.

And it has a build-in ND filter, so you can keep the shutter speed down.
Good to know, although I just got the RX100 mark II. Oh well it is a never ending process of upgrade in this hobby.

Dave
Jun 02, 2014, 11:41 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
I did two more flights with the F500-Y6 conversion, and the AG300. In both flights the platform itself flew well, and is quite stable. In both cases there were light breezes with occasional stronger gusts. These are the conditions that usually cause problems for my Phantom 2. Anyway, as expected, there's little to no vibrations. In the video below, you can see that the left skid has zero vibrations.

On the second flight, which is the video below, I tweaked the AlexMos PID settings, on the gimbal controller, and it is working pretty well now.

http://vimeo.com/97162082

All-in-all, I'm very happy with this setup. They only thing I will change, at some point, would be to swap out the AMB for the new Phobotics CP controller, once they finally are here. For now, though, it is working fine with the YUN3xs with the v2.3b5 firmware.

-- Gary
Looking good Gary!

Dave
Jun 03, 2014, 05:59 AM
Explorer
I bought Alexmos 8 BIT Bluetooth Module for my 2 axis AG500DD gimbal.
I assume it's an 8 bit board I have? I bought the gimbal as soon as it was available.

I am using this app: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2085166
I would ask there, but I wanted to get confirmation that it is an 8 bit board I have.

I am able to connect but not read the data, and I can't change the baud rate on my phone it seams.

SOLVED: the module from aerialpixels.com (that was supposed to be plug and play) had the cable lineup wrong. It was set to tx to tx and rx to rx. tx on bluetooth module must connect to rx on alexmos board.
Last edited by åsmund; Jun 06, 2014 at 03:22 AM.
Jun 03, 2014, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocheluich
Hi Gary... can I order the AG1000 or is it still under development?.. TKS
The AG1000, along with the AG750 and the AG500 will be available as soon as the CP controllers are released. That will hopefully be very soon.

-- Gary

Quick Reply