This thread is privately moderated by peterswolf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 27, 2014, 02:36 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Zeta Horten BV-38 (44.3")

Flight Pack: GensAce 3S 2600mah 55C
Last edited by peterswolf; Jul 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2014, 09:20 AM
Thread OP

Maiden Flight

So I built this one a while back but have had it sitting around waiting for the perfect time to fly. If you are interested in tips on the build, please visit the RCG thread here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2026327

I was able to maiden this morning, using a GensAce 2500mah 55C battery. Wow, I can't believe I was so nervous to maiden this one... What an easy flier!! I setup with 125% throws and 55 EXPO on all surfaces. Perfect, nice smooth movements and the extra throw helps when needed!! I just need a fair bit of down trim to get her flying level at half throttle, and then she just cruised around perfectly. My first landing I greased it, only a tiny barely noticed bounce, my landings after that however I was cutting too much power I think and the bounces got bigger. Need to remember to land this one more like my EDFs, power it right down and into the runway so to speak hehe I might try putting some stiffer struts in place, as I don't think I'll do the full retract mod. Perhaps that will help.
Jun 17, 2014, 05:49 PM
Thread OP

Landing gear modifications

Ok so here's what I did, I put an oleo strut on the nose and some Dubro low bounce wheels on the mains. The nose strut was about a 1/4 inch shorter than stock, so my main wheels are smaller than stock to maintain that 1/4 inch height decrease. I tightened up the wire I put in to hold the two main struts, hoping that will help reduce the flex some more, and while I was at it I decided to put on the main strut covers. We'll see if this helps out landings at all.
Jun 18, 2014, 06:32 AM
Thread OP

The fix is in!

So I was able to get some flights in this morning and more importantly many perfect landings. The tightening of the wire, the low bounce tires and the oleo strut on the nose did the trick. I can now grease the landings. When turning for final I chop the throttle to 1/4, once I'm on final I slowly cut the power to nothing and using very little elevator I glide her down to the ground, once over the runway I apply a bit of back pressure and once the airspeed is all but gone I flair with a lot of back pressure and she greases onto the runway. Without rudder it's very important line her up on the glide path good. I could see this being a bit of an issue in stronger winds. With this new smaller wheel size, I found it turning very sharp, so I put a dual rate setting down to 40% on nose steering with 55 EXPO, that really tames down the ground handling. Takeoffs are a breeze, flying is fantastic and now landings are gentle, and the plane has one hell of a unique look, can't ask for much more
Jul 01, 2014, 06:02 PM
Who sells this model?
Jul 05, 2014, 09:30 PM

Zeta BV-38

Value Hobby has one

Quick Reply