Bird of Prey Vs. X8

A grisly attack that rips foam from carbon fiber.

Splash

Bogey at your 12 high!

While scrolling through my Facebook feed this evening, I came across a rather epic video of a pair of raptors doing what they do best: attacking anything that shares their airspace. This video, posted by ommadawn, shows a rather helpless X8 flying wing putt around the sky as it gets relentlessly engaged by the pair. The X8, fitted with a 360-degree pan/tilt, is setup perfectly to view the bombardment from all angles. It ultimately meets it's demise as one of the raptors sinks its talons into the elevon (I'm assuming), sending it spiraling down to terra firma.

Enjoy.

Wedgie Vs X8 (2 min 58 sec)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; May 26, 2014 at 08:29 PM..
May 26, 2014, 09:48 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
What you're supposed to do in that situation, for future reference, is perform a loop. Never
had a single bird continue to attack my plane after doing one. For some reason it really
freaks them out.

-Blues
May 26, 2014, 11:15 PM
What OSd is this?
May 27, 2014, 12:55 AM
Stress Be Gone
If only we could train more birds to rip quads/drones limb from limb.
May 27, 2014, 02:33 AM
Beyond the BlackStump
Quote:
Originally Posted by insistent
what osd is this?
rvosd
May 27, 2014, 06:29 AM
Sent by Touch Typing
Neeeeeooowwww plonk!!!
May 27, 2014, 10:26 AM
that was so cool is your plane okay???
May 27, 2014, 10:59 AM
Great shots!
Yesterday a pit bull wanted to snack on my mini, grabbed it while I was coming in to land.
Pit Bull Attacks my Drone Frames Mini (2 min 52 sec)
May 27, 2014, 01:28 PM
Wandering IT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR2
If only we could train more birds to rip quads/drones limb from limb.
*thumbup!*
May 27, 2014, 01:52 PM
Very cool video.
If you take a look at the video on vimeo you can see where he states he wanted to let the attacks occur. You can also take a look a look at the osd when the birds are around his amp draw is 0.5A, so he is gliding.
May 28, 2014, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy
What you're supposed to do in that situation, for future reference, is perform a loop. Never
had a single bird continue to attack my plane after doing one. For some reason it really
freaks them out.

-Blues
I can chime in with a Me too!

I've had a couple of local hawks chase my Falcon Wing for 2-3 minutes... As soon as I loop or go full vertical they fly off. Not like they can keep up anyway. They cant match my Falcon wing at WOT. But I do like their tactics, often attack when I'm at cruising speed and from height. They can turn very fast just like the wing so at medium speed they do have me covered.
Last edited by Sed8ed; May 28, 2014 at 09:32 AM.
May 28, 2014, 09:08 AM
The Flying Circus
The X8 is almost back together. The front of the shell is not pretty, but all glued up again. This poor wing has spun in about 5 times, so I think its quite used to the abuse. Waiting on replacement carbon tube spars, and the gear will go back in. It already had rip marks from a previous encounter.
FWIW, its not difficult to avoid bird strikes if you know its coming. There were several warning passes from each Wedgie, before the attack runs. Usually any sort of turn or deviation from course will put them off.
I use 360 panning on all my planes. Its difficult to keep track of any moving target without full look around capability.
I scored some really neat screen grabs too.
May 30, 2014, 02:08 PM
Enjoys ApparatUAS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn
I use 360 panning on all my planes. Its difficult to keep track of any moving target without full look around capability.
I would agree.. Care to share your setup specs or how you achieved full 360 panning? If you answered this question before or posted your setup elsewhere, I apologize in advance.
May 30, 2014, 02:10 PM
With a GWS S125 1T 2BB Sail Winch Servo
May 30, 2014, 05:41 PM
The Flying Circus
Precisely. These servos are the best solution I have found. I have tried everything.
First I made a small gearbox. This worked, but was ugly and draggy. Then hacking the servo pot and adding resistors, numerous servo stretchers, 270 degree servo. The GWS 125 is a cheap and rugged solution. Drawbacks are that they are slightly larger and heavier than a full size servo. Also mine dont always recentre exactly. I can live with this.

Quick Reply