May 25, 2014, 01:52 AM
Thread OP
Mini-Review

Cheerson CX-11

INTRODUCTION

Cheerson is a relatively new chinese RC quadcopter brand who shipped first a nice Phantom clone: the CX-20.
In May 2014, Cheerson announced three new models i) two nanoquads: the CX-10 and the CX-11 and ii) one microquad: the CX-30.
This review is dedicaced to the CX-11, a clear a protoX clone sharing almost all external visual details : a PCB-body, 4 6mmx12mm motors and a ultra light canopy.

This CX-11 belong the fast growing list of protoX clones : WLtoys V272, V282, V292, Moontop M9911, JXD 395 and more models to come.

The target price of this model is very agressive due to this fresh nanoquads war, less than 25 USD for this RTF model. Is this cheap model equivalent or even better than the initial ProtoX ?

BOX CONTENT

+ 1 x Cheerson CX-11
+ 1 x tiny controler (using 2xAAA batteries not included)
+ 1 x USB charger (ending with micro JST 1.25mm connector)
+ 2 x spare props (1 CW, 1 CCW)
+ 1 x Instruction manual (chinese only)

OVERVIEW
The main body reprensents a 47mmx47mm square.

The CX-11 size is comparable to its competitors: V272(left),M9911(middle),CX-11(right)

The thin body-PCB is welcoming on the top layer the STM32 F050K4 as main MCU (a ARM core), the Infineon Invensense 6050C as gyros+accelerometers (3+3=6axis) chip and a BK2421 as RFChip ([email protected]/s, BW 2.5Mhz, sensibility -85dBm).

This BK2421 is the former model prior to the BK2423 (in BK2423, they add the 250kbits mode and the extra sensibility flag to -87dBm but not used in practice in any known protocol).
Compared to most of similar models, only the F050K4 ARM core (http://elcodis.com/parts/5854903/STM32F050K4.html) is replacing the classic MINI54ZAN one. MOSFET are 2413 (probably from CYSTEK compagny. I didn't find the datasheet, but I know the 2310 from this campagny, installed in the V272 for example are VDS=60V and ID up to 4A) and located on the bottom surface layer.

On the same side, can be find also a micro-switch. Arms of this body-PCB are more curly compared to the V272 and using a little bit less material.
The body is scaling around [8.3g, 8.4g] standalone (1g less compared to WLtoys V272).

A total of 6 LEDs can be found: 4 blue for the front arms and eyes and 2 red for rear arms.
You can find a 2.4G patch antenna (snake/zebra shape) on the front bottom side. 2 male micro JST 1.25mm connectors can be find also i) one to welcoming the LiPo and ii) the second to welcome the Charger cable.

Motors are 6mmx12mm jailed into plastic motorpods. Motorpods got 4 ticks (with cross design) on top part of the PCB hole and 2 small plastic tongue on the bottom part to lock the motors.

This system is not perfect and is offering unfortunatly some "Pan/tilt" on the main motor axis.
If you need to replace a motor, you will have to first unsolder motor's wires and then press on these bottom plastic tongues to pass them through the PCB hole. No rubber feet but each motor pod is ending with 2 small plastic pins. By consequence this system is less efficicient to absorbe shocks.

Props are 30mm long and have an internal diameter of 0.6mm.

Props are slightly shorter compared to V272 (bottom) /M9911 (middle) ones

The canopy is scaling [0.4g-0.5g].

I found the plastic hooks are very thin and can break easily.

The shipped LiPo is a 100mAh (no charge rating given) and scaling 2.8g.

Basically, the ground clearance is the same than the V272 (if you plan to install the LiPo beneath).

The total weight of the CX-11 is 11.6g so close to 2g less than the V272.

The transmitter is very tiny, ideal for transportation but also not really adapted for large hands ("no free lunch").

Sticks are short but ending with 2 relatively large plastic "mushrooms". Gimbal' springs are relatively strong. With such tiny TX, you can give relatively precize controls. You can find only 2 trimming buttons (1 of them is associated with the left/right steering).
To perform flipping, you need to press prior for the right stick (you can hear a click) and then indicate how to flip with the right stick direction. I am suspecting, you can change flight mode by pressing the left stick.

Finally, you can calibrate gyroscopes by: i) right stick in upper-left corner then ii) left stick in lower-left corner. The 2 back-rear red LEDS will fast flashing at the end of the calibration.

You wil need to insert 2 x AAA batteries (not included).

Including the 2 batteries, the TX is scaling around 74g

The good news is this protocol used by the CX-11 (and I guess also for the CX-10) is the same than for the SKy Walker quadcopter and have been already implemented into deviationTX. So if you already modded your favorite deviationTX compatible Devo controller with a nRF24L01+PA, thanks to the last Nightly build, you will be able to enjoy this CX-11 with a great TX.

Instruction manual is only in chinese (the CX-10 one)

FIRST FLIGHTS

After performed the calibration procedure, I tried first with the original TX. Even if I am not a great pilot with such tiny things, I was absoluptly not lost and manage to fly this insect quiet smoothy. The quad is very stable, almost without shifting... I would expect that this motor pods "pan/tilt" would affect more the stability. It's not the case so it's a good news. Even with shorter props, probably due to a higher pitch and its lighter weight, the CX-11 is reponding fast to vertical throttle. It's great. Flipping are ok and the yaw rate is good, maybe slightly faster than the V272, I am not completly sure for this last point, they are very close. After minors crashes, I didn't notice that the props popped as for the V272 (at least for the rev 07, for the rev 09, I noticed an improvement). In more sportive mode, the quad is banking great. I was not able to measure the flight duration with the original LiPo coz this latter was "dead" when I opened the box.. I used a 100mAh from a V272. With this one I had around 4mm of flight (will be updated later with accumulated flights). Good point, the CX-11 have a LVC alarm (led are flashing fast) when your LiPo is close to 3.7V.

Secondly, I tried with my devo 7E ..... and of course it's really better... precise flight.. Actually, the flipping are (not) yet working with the devo7E. Probably the flipping channel have to be used in the model file or be identified in this specific protocol.

EDIT 05/26/14

I performed an outdoors flight (filming with my Hat-Cam). I used my Devo 7E to control the CX-11. My god !!!! it's rocking.... Very fast and banking great even at full speed.... Due to some partial occlusion of my vision with this Hat-Cam, I seriously crashed into a tree (see the second video). I was sure that I killed something and finally just the canopy off. Even the props didn't pop out.... A really good point for this quad.

CONCLUSIONS

In conclusion, this quad is a good competitor the protoX and IMHO slightly superior to the V272: LVC, 2g lighter, gyro calibrations, deviationTX compatible but in another hand, I am suspecting that the canopy hooks will die very fast if you open it often (in fact, I already broke one). If you don't want to use the original charger, you can design you own cable with this micro JST 1.25 connector in order to not remove the canopy..

Sold around 24-25 USD, the price is also positive point. So if you are hesitating between the V272 and this model you can't be wrong with the CX-11 (except if you hate such tiny TX). More with 2g less, by installing some larger prorps (the Moontop M9911 seems to have some larger ones), transform this CX-11 into a nanoFPV could be maybe realistic ...

PROS

+ Stable quadcopter (thanks to the 6050C)
+ Good power lift
+ Very fast outdoors, great banking capacity
+ LVC alarm
+ Tiny TX, easy transportation and ideal to train everywhere
+ Close to 2g lighter than a WLtoys V272 (11.6g in total)
+ DeviationTX compatible (via the Sky Wlkr protocol, found in the last Nighty Build. Requier to mod your Devo controller with a nRF24L01+PA chip)
+ Very good deal for the price

CONS

- Only 2 spare props
- Fragile canopy hooks
- Instruction manual only in chinese
EDIT 05/26/14
- 4 white props (harder to keep orientation, especially for outdoors flights)

UNBOXING AND QUICK TESTS VIDEO

CHEERSON CX-11 Unboxing and quick testing (Courtesy Tmart) (9 min 21 sec)

This quadcopter have been courtesy provided by Tmart in order to make a fair and not biased review. I would like to thanks them for this attitude.

You can find it actually for 20 USD at
http://www.tmart.com/sl/543376413d145

EDIT correcting typos, English spelling, etc......
Last edited by SeByDocKy; Oct 08, 2014 at 09:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 25, 2014, 01:54 AM
Thread OP
Reserved for mods & videos

Cheerson CX-11 indoors and outdoors test flights (Courtesy Tmart) (4 min 5 sec)
Last edited by SeByDocKy; May 25, 2014 at 08:20 AM.
May 25, 2014, 02:11 AM
Nice review thanks.

I'm waiting on mine from Tmart along with a V272

I already have the Hubsan Q4 which I love. This also has loose motors that will pan and tilt but does not seem to hinder performance.
May 25, 2014, 04:14 AM
Should Know Better But Doesn't
I wondered if the v272 motors being loose (as a goose!) would ruin things, but no, it flies very straight...surprisingly so for a nano.

Don't think i'll venture into this model, I have a CX-10 on it's way though. Can't have too many toys
May 25, 2014, 04:43 AM
Thread OP
I was filming the CX-11 in action... I had an amazing crash against a tree at full speed (guess who win )... and finally nothing .... canopy to reinstall that's all and no props popped out

Indoors and outdoors videos coming next
Last edited by SeByDocKy; May 25, 2014 at 04:48 AM.
May 25, 2014, 08:00 AM
Nice.
Glad you got yours shipped quickly, I'm jealous.
May 25, 2014, 08:20 AM
Thread OP
Added a indoors & outdoors tests in video section

This quad is just GREAT outdoors
Last edited by SeByDocKy; May 25, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
May 25, 2014, 10:51 AM
Mr. Fisherman
I really must find a modded devo 7e.... If anyone has one for sale or knows of one please let me know. I already missed out on one. I can't do the mods myself.
May 25, 2014, 12:33 PM
Decomposing and tearin' it up!
Thanks SBD, great review - 'all bases covered'. good news on the protocol.

I was kind of hoping for the other one though. Not received that yet?
May 25, 2014, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryps
Thanks SBD, great review - 'all bases covered'. good news on the protocol.

I was kind of hoping for the other one though. Not received that yet?
You mean the CX-10 ?
May 25, 2014, 12:51 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fisherman
I really must find a modded devo 7e.... If anyone has one for sale or knows of one please let me know. I already missed out on one. I can't do the mods myself.
Really, it's not so hard to do .... You must be more confident ....
You have 7 soldering jobs to do. 4 are really easy, the last 3 others are on 3 pins of the CYRF. On devo 7E it's even more easy than on a Devo 10.
May 25, 2014, 12:53 PM
Yep! Now I'm doubting if you mentioned it?:/

I'm v. happy with my Q4, replaced the motors today... Forgot how good the bird flies; flips, rolls, 8's, funnels... all over the coffee-table! Ridiculous.
May 25, 2014, 12:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Yep! Now I'm doubting if you mentioned it?:/

I'm v. happy with my Q4, replaced the motors today... Forgot how good the bird flies; flips, rolls, 8's, funnels... all over the coffee-table! Ridiculous.
I got a CX-10 on the way .... but I think I won't receive it within 10 days ...
So probably some review will be available before BUT .... I am writing the review of the MoonTop M9911.... This one also is a killer
May 25, 2014, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeByDocKy
I got a CX-10 on the way .... but I think I won't receive it within 10 days ...
So probably some review will be available before BUT .... I am writing the review of the MoonTop M9911.... This one also is a killer
Ok, kewl thanks. I'll check it out. Shame about the '10', that's the game I s'pose.
May 26, 2014, 12:12 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Ok, kewl thanks. I'll check it out. Shame about the '10', that's the game I s'pose.
Yes .... that's the Lottery of shipping . For example this CX-11 came in 8 days via SwissPost, while I am still waiting some parcels after 1 month with Malaysian Post and sweedish Post ... That's life

Quick Reply