Jun 01, 2014, 05:41 AM
Wing is in the bag and now we are on to the Heineken's
to remove ads between posts
Jun 02, 2014, 03:29 AM
got some good progress on the Heinekens and the wing into the hot box
Jun 03, 2014, 02:48 AM
Entropy is happening!

Wood for machining.

What kind of timber did you use for machining the fuselage plug Dave?
Jun 03, 2014, 04:20 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
What kind of timber did you use for machining the fuselage plug Dave?
I just used pine, straight grained no knots, nice and easy and comes out straight but only round.
Jun 03, 2014, 04:24 AM
Entropy is happening!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pope
I just used pine, straight grained no knots, nice and easy and comes out straight but only round.
Ok. It's obviously stable enough. I suppose if it's nice and dry and you get some epoxy on soon after machining, it will not move or check. Andrew has got some Meranti for me to machine up the fuse plug on my current project.
Jun 03, 2014, 04:51 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Thread OP
Big weekend in the PMS shop. Jono came up from wellington and Garath joined us for a huge build session complete with a few liquid refreshments. Things were flying everywhere with the cnc running non stop. ie until the power supply blew AGAIN. Cores were cut for jonoís PMS 2M, out of the super hd foam, its even hard to put a nail in it. Garath laid up a AFP fuse.
Friday night started with the spar layup, this was cut from pine, 3 laminations with uni-carbon between and bagged. Then work on Jonoís Heinkel for manila.
Saturday was fitting the spar and hard points and filling and painting mylars and cutting materials.
Sunday was sanding epoxy, and donít we love that. Then flying, good for light DS, Sunday night was time to layup and bag, it was a stressful time either too tired or not enough beers. We got the wing in the bag at about 10.30, looks strange Jono laying up epoxy with a coat on, the heater was running and epoxy was warmed in a bucket to 22 deg.
The layup was LE wrap carbon/Kevlar, Kevlar hinges, ĺ oz on the mylar then 6oz, the 200g carbon on bias then 2x 100mm wide unicarbon as spar caps the all locked in with 10 oz glass, then splurged LE and tips and in the bag and in the hot box to 30 deg. Then most important was a de-stress session till 1.30am. Hence the beer bottles on the hot box to provide weight.
Monday was a late-ish start with a de-bag, very average wing but ok for the prototype. Then bugger it lets go flying again. The afternoon came round quick and with lawns to do, Jono cleaned up the shed.
So today I have started on the placement of the wing still lots more to go on the incidence, then we can get the fuse plug ready for the mold. We will wait for Jono to bag the HD foam before we look at doing the plug for the wing, to see how it comes out.
Jun 03, 2014, 04:55 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Thread OP
Not a finished wing yet, lots more shaping to on with.

Forgot to comment, the wing came out nice and stiff, not sure how the ailerons and flaps will be, stiff wise, time will tell. Need to re-weigh the wing but before trimming it was 2kg.
Jun 03, 2014, 04:58 AM
Auzzie built planks
Top effort guys
Latest blog entry: More colours
Jun 03, 2014, 05:16 AM
Its got very nice lines

Skin layup sounds very stout
Jun 03, 2014, 06:37 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Nice work! Has a K100 sort-of look to it, so it must be good!
Jun 03, 2014, 01:37 PM
Wow, put my name on the list Dave!!
Jun 03, 2014, 03:02 PM
WOW - inspired work, guys! Wish I could get that sort of shop time... Let me know if there is anything I can do?
Jun 03, 2014, 09:36 PM
Let me know if you need me to come up, drink more beer and give plenty of bad advice again
Jun 04, 2014, 12:32 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.Thompson
Ok. It's obviously stable enough. I suppose if it's nice and dry and you get some epoxy on soon after machining, it will not move or check. Andrew has got some Meranti for me to machine up the fuse plug on my current project.
Most timber is kilm dried. When we did the pms mk1 it was the same timber and just turned. fairings added with bog then painted with primer a few time's then a nice coat of 2 pack paint.
Jun 04, 2014, 04:20 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Thread OP
A bit of progress tonight, with the wing incerdence done and the fin glues on square, next will be tail location and bog fairings. whooooo is exciting.

Quick Reply