Oct 11, 2018, 11:26 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
I have a tile cutter, and have also used cut down dremel discs, broken hacksaw blades etc. The tile cutter does the job but the special tool that Alex made and gave to me in January is really, really special. I go "AAaaahhhh!!" when I use it. Very controllable and smooth straight scores - it peels out a nice fine strand each stroke. And there's a wide and narrow side so in thicker layups you can do say 20 scores with the thin one and V out the top with a few strokes of the thicker scorer. Very highly recommended.

Sometimes when I feel a bit down I just go out to the shed, grab an old wing and score a few lines with Alex's magic scorer and I feel better again.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2018, 05:39 AM
608 km/h!
Good to hear Andrew. I have one here waiting to use too. The thing I hate about the tile cutter is that it's too sharp on the end and tends to hook the kevlar and try to dig holes unless you are really careful.
Oct 12, 2018, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
I have a tile cutter, and have also used cut down dremel discs, broken hacksaw blades etc. The tile cutter does the job but the special tool that Alex made and gave to me in January is really, really special. I go "AAaaahhhh!!" when I use it. Very controllable and smooth straight scores - it peels out a nice fine strand each stroke. And there's a wide and narrow side so in thicker layups you can do say 20 scores with the thin one and V out the top with a few strokes of the thicker scorer. Very highly recommended.

Sometimes when I feel a bit down I just go out to the shed, grab an old wing and score a few lines with Alex's magic scorer and I feel better again.
Seams like everybody should get one. Could you do foto of the tool, please?

Greetings Bjoern
Oct 12, 2018, 07:36 AM
Rock Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoernohlau View Post
Seams like everybody should get one. Could you do foto of the tool, please?

Greetings Bjoern
It's a certain cut tip used fore machining, other tips work ok just not quiet as good.

Alex what's the code of the tip..

I'm using a vnmg160408 tip for my cutter, itsnegitive rake and works ok I think I need to change to the alloy tip, positive rake to get the better cutting action. I did use diamond file the other day to spmake point finer was improvement.

Andrew love your story
Oct 12, 2018, 03:48 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
I'll find what mine is. It's a sandvik tip in the v series, designed for a negative rake holder, but tip sitting flat actually has a positive rake and has all 4 points that can be used. I just epoxy it into the end of a 1/2" tube. I use 04 and 08 rads
Oct 13, 2018, 06:35 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
On that score, I'd like to present some pics of the scoring tool that I scored off Alex in January.
Oct 20, 2018, 05:13 PM
Rock Breaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
On that score, I'd like to present some pics of the scoring tool that I scored off Alex in January.
After seeing your pics I decided to look around for a better tip for my scoring tool. Found this bad boy, ground cutting edges that are razor sharpe. Really good for turning alloy and plastic.
Forgot to glue into handle so vice grips were the go.
Scoring to the Kevlar was fast easy and heaps smoother action. Just needed to be carful not to hit Kevlar to much as it wanted to cut it too.
Buttom was so sweet I used it to cut most of the way threw the top, just the last little bit with a knife. The scoring tool is easier to control next to your ruler, I have found knife can wonder if not careful.
Sep 21, 2019, 04:25 AM
After nearly a year I have just got the first flap servo mounted. I mounted the servo (KST 125) in a servo frame with an external bearing from the bottom with the push rod up through the top pf the wing. This was far more complicated than I had envisioned and I ended up cutting a pretty big slot in the top of the wing, to get full movement of the push rod. Now that I have done one I expect the next one will be easier. I went to put the 2nd flap servo into the frame to find that it is for a MKS frame and the thread is different

Photo is (with the wing upside down) of the max flap travel. Hopefully it will be enough
Sep 21, 2019, 05:25 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Wow cool dude! Yeah you definitely have to cut more than you think, but it's totally fine. Bring it with you this afternoon so I can gawk at it. I'll wipe off any drool...
Oct 25, 2019, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonoashton
got one half of the wing bagged up and trimmed. This build may take some time..
I was correct. 18 months later and I am getting close. Need to paint fuse and tail, make servo covers and fit receiver. Its getting close so there is some drive to finish it.
Its 3.6 kg so far.
Oct 25, 2019, 11:35 PM
Certifiable User
Looks great Jono! 3.6 kilos, that's really gonna go

Lee
Nov 01, 2019, 06:26 AM
Have Wings, will Fly!
woohoo Jonno that looks Smick! mate

fantastic job

Don
Nov 06, 2019, 03:52 PM
There is only DS
I Like it a lot jono
Nov 06, 2019, 05:40 PM
Will probably maiden it next weekend. Then I will have to build a Scratcho in full panic mode to get it done in time
Nov 10, 2019, 12:27 AM
Ready to fly.

Quick Reply