This thread is privately moderated by plane_tech, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 14, 2019, 09:13 AM
Yep, forgot to add that it's a hollow molded glass wing.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2019, 09:55 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris country
Guys, I'm repairing a damaged wingtip that has a bunch of creases and dips and bumps. Would it be better to use filler to smooth out all the voids and then glass over that or glass it and then use filler lastly to smooth out all the uneven spots. Filler first would leave a nicely glassed surface but I'm worried about the adhesion. Thanks much!
I am no expert on this topic but I would get the wing tip repair as smooth and even as possible first. If you feel the need for a layer of glass I would do that, but the wingtip takes the least stress of the entire wing, so this may not be necessary. Sand and fill as needed using as little filler as possible.

Others may have different advice.
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 14, 2019 at 10:02 AM.
Jan 14, 2019, 10:10 AM
Blue Sky Mining
I've done similar repairs this way....
Pull it into shape as much as possible, keeping the leading and trailing edges in the right location. If necessary drill holes in the upper skin to push the lower skin out with a stiff wire and visa versa
Then inject CA into any creases and delaminations to rebind the inner and outer skins. Use a syringe or drill little holes in the outer skin, add glue and press down gently.
You'll be surprised how much this stiffens all those creases and soft spots.
Once that's done you can fill and smooth to shape. Add extra glass only if you really need it to fill gaps or add stiffness.

And remember to rebalance the wing laterally.
Jan 14, 2019, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys, pretty much the path I was on and great advice regarding the lateral balance!
Jan 14, 2019, 02:38 PM
That thing almost hit me
I've found that a simple Yoga Mat is great for working on your molded planes to avoid that dreaded hanger rash. In the shop or at the field.
Nothing rolls of of it either....
Apr 09, 2019, 08:29 AM
Themadartist

Saturating MDF with epoxy ...

Hi Guys, here's a short video as per the title.

I'd never done this before and I was really surprised at the results.

Thought it might be of interest.

Expoxy Saturated MDF - First Go - 07 April 2019 (2 min 44 sec)

Quick Reply