Dec 26, 2016, 12:58 PM

Shinto J

I just get my new Shinto J, with 2 fuse, one a bit stronger for 5J and one lighter for 3J.
The building qualities still look at the top, adjustments are top and everything fit perfectly.
No bubles or misform anywhere, it's wonderful.
More here and below : https://www.facebook.com/pg/SoaringG...76065339417811
Shinto J opening - from Aer-O-Tec and Vladimir's Model (1 min 54 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 19, 2017, 09:02 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Just finished my Shinto Build.

This is apparently the double carbon F3F version, cause it's going to come in at a whopping 80 ounces when I add the nose weight to get it to 68mm CG.

I didn't exactly build it light, but the wings are ridiculously stiff, so they are super strong.

This one WAS RDS, but I wanted IDS, so I built it out that way.

MKS 6130HV all around in the wings, and HV6125e in the fuse.

Went together pretty clean. Of course, I can't get away with a perfect build and managed to drill through one of the flap surfaces putting in the IDS horns.

I may get to maiden it at Torrey Pines this weekend in between the rain...

All in all a very nice model, but if I were to use it for F3B, it would have to at least be under 70 ounces...

I've included some finished pics.

Tim
Jan 19, 2017, 10:54 PM
Detail Freak
I have to ask- you didn't know which layup you were getting, Tim? I don't think that is like you, sounds like a story in the making.
Looks great, good luck with the maiden. I've always been tempted by this model.

Best,
Target
Jan 19, 2017, 11:11 PM
68mm for cg sure sounds like a different sort of animal.

Looks like a beauty! Really nice.
Jan 20, 2017, 11:03 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
I have to ask- you didn't know which layup you were getting, Tim? I don't think that is like you, sounds like a story in the making.
Looks great, good luck with the maiden. I've always been tempted by this model.

Best,
Target
Hah! Well, it was one that Barry had in stock. I think it had a label of F3B/F3F on it.

It's a tester. If I like it, then I might order one that is custom light...

t
Jan 20, 2017, 11:06 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by curdman
68mm for cg sure sounds like a different sort of animal.

Looks like a beauty! Really nice.
Whoops! yeah, it won't be at 68....I was thinking something else. It sounds like I need to start at 90...

t
Jan 20, 2017, 11:07 PM
Tim,

It does say "F3b" on your wing but mine finished at 71 oz so it may be a different layup indeed.

My dry weights
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...99&postcount=2

Glauco
Jan 22, 2017, 01:52 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Was able to get a few flights at Torrey Pines for the maiden of this plane.

Think I was around 90mm for CG, and it definitely needs to go back. At that position it didn't seem as agile as I would have liked.

But it flew straight and well.

Has anyone played with the ELE/FLAP mixes? (don't want to call it snap flap) I've currently got about 4mm to full elevator. I didn't get enough flights to see if it likes more or not.

The fuse came with the nose weight in it, so to get it back to even 90 I had to put some weight in the tail. I might have to drill out some of the nose weight...

Good stuff!
Jan 26, 2017, 01:18 PM
isoaritfirst
You need to cut a slither off the back of the nose weight.
balance closer to 92 but nothing nasty will happen if you go further back.
empty at 90 can work if you use the ballast to shift it backwards. But not so good if you fly empty a lot.
4 mm sound fine.
Jan 26, 2017, 10:44 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Ha! I figured it out!!! Although I had to drill a small hole in the nose to be able to push the nose weight out, cause it was stuck...

I was able to hack off over an ounce of the nose weight, and my initial weight that I gave had a piece of ballast in one of the wings!!! (No wonder that wing weighed 5 oz more than the other!)

So, my total weight now at a CG of 93 is 70.75 ounces!!! yay!!! thats much better.

But, by the feel of it, the wings are still sooooooo stiff, that they could probably build one at 65oz and not lose much.

I'm going to send it up the line tomorrow and have fun with it at our first F3B gathering of the year and we'll see how she goes. Probably better than the maiden at Torrey.
Jan 27, 2017, 08:12 AM
Doh!
Jan 29, 2017, 01:03 AM
Team USA F3F Member
Hi All!

Was able to get in a lot of flights today with my Shinto.

I steadily moved the hook backwards, and now I am at the very back edge, and I still need to go farther because I don't think I'm at the limit, although it seems like it is close. I'm getting relatively close to the launch heights that everyone else is here as I keep tuning. I won't have a chance to take it back any further this weekend, as I didn't bring my dremmel to make the hole longer

Haven't been lucky enough to see some great air in speed, but did a few 16s runs with it. It flies and tracks well and keeps getting better as I fly it.

And my first duration with it went pretty well with a 9:59 - 100...

Pretty happy with the way it handles in distance too.

Tim
Mar 22, 2017, 08:55 PM
Hugh Blackburn
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubry GABANON
I just get my new Shinto J, with 2 fuse, one a bit stronger for 5J and one lighter for 3J.
Yes - I just noted the other day: VM have now released J and F layups for the Shinto.

http://f3j.in.ua/shinto.html

How do you like it as a J plane, Aubry?

Things are busy at VM...
Mar 24, 2017, 06:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by floquet
Yes - I just noted the other day: VM have now released J and F layups for the Shinto.

http://f3j.in.ua/shinto.html

How do you like it as a J plane, Aubry?

Things are busy at VM...
Well, my J one is now finished and ready to fly, I am just awaiting the good weather window, I hope soon a film of the maiden and I tell you :-)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/SoaringG...76065339417811
Last edited by Aubry GABANON; Mar 24, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
Mar 31, 2017, 10:11 AM

F3F Electric

I just finished a Shinto F3f with Schambeck 1025F5J 15x8 prop 3s 1300 lipo Castle 50 amp Futaba 3173 HV wings and MKS6100HV in fuselage. Added about 25 grams in the nose for a CG of ~85. All up weight 2290 grams. What are the weights you have on a simulera plane. Test flight in about 3 weeks.

Quick Reply