Apr 04, 2004, 08:36 AM
Thread OP

Please Help!!

Below ae photos of the damage my first flight caused....I have 2 problems....

1. the plane doesnt fly anymore....everytime i try to hand launch, climbs for a sec and then slams into the ground nose first everytime...there seemd to be a slight bend bettween the fuselage and the black shaft that holds the tail wing on..even when i try to ROG, it doesnt take off....just hauls (edied for language) to the left....

2. plus i have some tail wing damage that i need to learn how to fix....

Pictures below:
Last edited by Mark Wood; Apr 04, 2004 at 10:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 04, 2004, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
more pics
Apr 04, 2004, 08:37 AM
Thread OP
and more damage
Apr 04, 2004, 08:38 AM
Thread OP
more
Apr 04, 2004, 08:41 AM
Thread OP
damage
Last edited by bigb426; Apr 04, 2004 at 08:46 AM.
Apr 04, 2004, 08:46 AM
Thread OP
more
Apr 04, 2004, 08:48 AM
Thread OP
If anyone could give me a few pointers and advice on how to get her flying again.....thanks!
Last edited by bigb426; Apr 04, 2004 at 08:55 AM.
Apr 04, 2004, 09:14 AM
Average User
Can't really tell what plane you have, but it looks like one of the Aerobird models. Do a search using your plane's name. I'm sure there are others that have had the same experiences.
Apr 04, 2004, 09:25 AM
Thread OP
its the firebird commander....i'll do that thanks...
Apr 04, 2004, 09:42 AM
Hello Sir,

Welcome to the E-Zone. Let's address the tail damage first because it's usually not that hard to fix.

That big chunk taken out of the tail (or the wing, I couldn't tell from the picture) can be fixed a few ways:
-If you have extra scrap foam lying around, you could cut out the damaged parts, and insert a piece of scrap foam. Glue it on (I suggest epoxy, CA glue could melt the foam in some instances) and then sand it down to shape.

-If you don't have any scrap foam (or you don't want to buy any) you could try balsa as long as the balsa piece you are going to use isn't much heavier than the foam was. Cut out the damaged foam and glue on the balsa, then sand.

-A third option is to use packing tape (the relatively clear, wide stuff) and put it along the edge of the damaged surface on both sides. You could put the tape first on the top, then fold it over to the bottom. In my attached picture, the red is what you could cut out and replace with new foam or balsa. The blue is where the tape could go.

The empennage (tail surfaces) looked fairly bent out of shape in your pictures. This would cause control difficulty, and the plane would be harder to fly (if it flew at all.)
-If you can, take the tail off of the black tube which connects it to the front of the plane. Then take the bent side of the tail and try to flatten it out on a table or something. Once it's nice and flat (just the broken side, I wouldn't flatten out the whole tail, since it is a "v-tail." Once flat, it might be hard to get it to hold a V-shape again.) So, anyway, once the bent and mangled side is flattened out, you could use the packing tape again. Cover the tail with a sheet of this stuff, putting the same piece of the top and bottom (like the wing.) Chances are, the stuff will make it strong enough to hold its proper straight shape. The tape shouldn't weigh enough to make a discernable impact of flying performance. If you don't think the tape will keep it in the right shape, you could put a very, very thin sheet of balsa on top of the tail, and then sand it to the exact shape of the tail (it would have to be the same shape, or it would change the flying properties. Don't just slap on a sheet of balsa and try to fly, it would be like having crud all over the tail, since the air would go around the tail differently now, with all that balsa on it. Just be sure to sand it nice and thin, and to the same shape as the tail.)
-If the break (it looks like a break) on the tail is only minor, you could skip the balsa and just put a small amount of epoxy in the break, and then hold it in it's proper shape until the epoxy cures. This would work if the break isn't too extensive. And it's also the easiest to do. Only use the balsa (described above) if the tail is really mangled and floppy (if it won't hold its shape.)

Ok. Now on to the flying problems. You said "there seemd to be a slight bend bettween the fuselage and the black shaft that holds the tail wing on." Do you mean that there wasn't a bend before, and now there is a bend? Or do you mean that there was a bend, and now it is gone? If there was no bend before and now there is, this could be what's causing your troubles (as well as the bent tail.) Changing the position of the fuselage to the tail changes the flying characteristics of the plane. You'll want to get whatever warped part straightened out, since it would help tremendously.

I have another question. In your first picture, the propeller looked like it was pointing excessively upward. Is this true, or was it always that way? If the prop wasn't pointed that far upwards before, it would fly differently.

I hope my words help. Have fun!

Cameron Aach
Apr 04, 2004, 09:44 AM
Here's the picture.
Apr 04, 2004, 06:08 PM
The tail boom has most likely poped out of its place, thats whats cause the bend, same thing happend to me . Look threw the opening where the batt goes and you will see , it can be poped back in palce then i glued mine, You will have to check your lines to vtail thought, may need re adjusting..........

jeff
Last edited by BrokinBalsa; Apr 04, 2004 at 06:11 PM.
Apr 04, 2004, 06:25 PM
RBF
RBF

Snap, tape, buy

Snap the boom back into position, It should form a straight line along the bottom of the pod to the boom. The bottom of the pod and the boom should be straight or parallel not curved.

Repair the wing damage with wide clear packing tape.

Buy a new tail kit. they cost about $7. It can be repaired but this area is pretty critical and new tail feathers will be safer.

Read you manual it tells how to repair the tail and the wing.

Do a search on aerobirds and find damage preventions measures and repair steps.

I have had to make all of these repairs and my aerobird still flys great.

Ross
Apr 05, 2004, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys....thats what it was the boom need to be snapped back into position...took her out today after all the repairs....everytime got it up longer and longer....it was awesome.....I cant wait to fly it tommorrow!!!
Apr 05, 2004, 11:39 PM
Great, Im glad to hear you got it fixed. Heres a picture of mine its had so many crashes i lost count , lol. I changed the tail to a rudder/ fixed elev and added alerons It still flys well .

jeff

Quick Reply