New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2004, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by davecee
I'd rather be Flying

Phoenix-60, fried first day out.

Here's the set-up.
Phoenix-60, Mega 22/30/2, geared 5/1, 20 GP3300's, APC-E 15/8 prop, BEC is properly disabled. E-Calc predicts about 40 amps static.
Flew the system yesterday for the first time at a fly-in. The ESC had only been powered up prior to this to program the LVC and a very short (less than 10 seconds) partial throttle run up just to check proper operation. When flying, after throttling back the motor would not throttle back up. I was able to land safely dead-stick. I thought the first time was just a fluke, but the second time made me a believer and I attempted no more flying and did not even run the motor anymore.
Here's the weird part. A stranger approached me and said "Castle Creations ?" It stunned me to hear him correctly guess what brand of controller I was using. He then proceeded to tell me that he had lost a U-Can-Do 46, with a CC Phoenix-60 that did the same thing. Unfortunately his plane was low and slow at the time and didn't survive. He said he'd seen the problem with other Phoenix-60 and 80 controllers. Then he said that I would probably find a portion of the shrink wrap melted or burned on the back of the controller and that " CC had gotten some bad chips". When I was able to remove the controller from the plane last night I found melted/burned shrink wrap on the back of the controller, and what appeared to be charred components. So, my question is, have you seen this problem with CC Phoenix-60 controllers? Is it a common problem or just a fluke? I've been flying electric for 20 years or so and I've had only one previous esc failure and that was my fault due to an overloaded BEC. I've e-mailed CC and am awaiting their response, I undrstand they're at the Toledo show this weekend.
Dave Chewning Sr.
Last edited by davecee; Apr 04, 2004 at 11:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2004, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by mlehman
I just had the same problem with a CC60.. I just had it hooked up checked the motor rotation..went through the programing, throttled the motor up and.. poof.. out comes the magic smoke

I`m going to email them also

Mike
Old Apr 04, 2004, 05:58 PM
Find More Posts by lookes
I have one as well. If you throttle back momentarily and hit the throttle again nothing happens until you throttle off for a couple seconds. Then it starts again. I have not flown it yet. CC60/AXI 4120-14/3S5P Kokam 1500's. 15x10 prop. 41 Amps.
Old Apr 04, 2004, 07:52 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally posted by lookes
I have one as well. If you throttle back momentarily and hit the throttle again nothing happens until you throttle off for a couple seconds. Then it starts again. I have not flown it yet. CC60/AXI 4120-14/3S5P Kokam 1500's. 15x10 prop. 41 Amps.
Actually mine wouldn't start again AT ALL until the ESC was unpowered and then powered back up. That's what I did after the first incident. After the second one I didn't try to run the motor anymore.
Dave Chewning Sr.
Old Apr 05, 2004, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by Larry3215
Permanently Banned
Its bad that these things happened.

On the plus side tho - you have ESC's made by a company that has the best customer service I have ever seen.

They will fix you up.

Larry
Old Apr 05, 2004, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by NickT
My CC45 has just doed a trajic early firey death for no reason - anyone know the contact email address for CC?

the old support@castlecreations.com seems to bounce back on me, think address may have changed?

Nick T
Old Apr 05, 2004, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Try: info@castlecreations.com

Patrick
Old Apr 06, 2004, 04:26 AM
Find More Posts by NickT
Well, talk about service from CC again it seems. Had a nice email awaiting me this morning from Shawn asking for my address - a new one will be posted along with a return envelope for the dead one!

Market leader on more than features and price it would seem

Thanks Shawn

Nick Taylor
Old Apr 06, 2004, 12:03 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally posted by NickT
Well, talk about service from CC again it seems. Had a nice email awaiting me this morning from Shawn asking for my address - a new one will be posted along with a return envelope for the dead one!

Market leader on more than features and price it would seem

Thanks Shawn

Nick Taylor
I heard from Shawn yesterday (e-mail) and after answering a few questions about my set-up and flying style I received another e-mail today offering to replace the ESC. It's nice to see a company stand behind their product.

Dave Chewning Sr.
Last edited by davecee; Apr 06, 2004 at 04:06 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 12:33 PM
I'd rather be Flying
I received my replacement ESC yesterday, April 10th. Only 4 days from the offer to replace it. WOW! Thanks, Shawn and Castle Creations. I mailed the old one back on the 7th.

Dave Chewning Sr.
Last edited by davecee; Apr 11, 2004 at 12:36 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 02:54 PM
Find More Posts by mlehman
I sent mine back with a 25 and 10 that I needed to upgrade

Mike