Thread Tools
Jun 22, 2021, 03:32 PM
Registered User
Pattern_is_fun's Avatar
So…. How’s the plane flying? Getting the throttle curve set, throws, snap condition? I judged this last weekend, one MythoS 50 there. The guy (I didn’t know him) flew it ok in intermediate but I was judging FAI so didn’t see too much. Standard elevators under the stab, and that’s fine.

Hope all goes well.
Sc
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2021, 01:34 PM
..Patience is Key
Aviator1165's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern_is_fun View Post
So…. How’s the plane flying? Getting the throttle curve set, throws, snap condition? I judged this last weekend, one MythoS 50 there. The guy (I didn’t know him) flew it ok in intermediate but I was judging FAI so didn’t see too much. Standard elevators under the stab, and that’s fine.

Hope all goes well.
Sc
Hi Scott

Having approx 15 flights or so on the plane. The Mythos feels quite comfortable at +.6 incidence so the pilot does. This thing just flies fantastic. No comparison to #1 Mythos. Difference like day and night. Took out little bit of side thrust. Down thrust is at - .3
Further I decided to install heavy duty gimbal springs in my MZ24 hott TX. The factory ones where just too soft with the long sticks, just didn’t feel right. Now with the hard springs I get the feedback I wanted.
Moved cg slightly forward somewhere between mid and beginning of the wing tube. I am not really measuring the cg just moving it around until I feel happy with it. Cruising speed is set at mid stick adding 8% into the throttle curve. I have now a nice constant speed all over the envelope using F3A braking of the Jeti spin set to 15% starting and 35% end force. No delay in between.
Finally got settled on the flight conditions. Currently set to three flight modes ACRO, SPIN and SNAP.

Rates are as follows

ACRO
Aileron +10 -10 degrees, expo 25%
Elev +12 - 13,5 degrees, expo 20% , 13%
Rud +35 - 35 degrees, expo 45%

SNAP
Aileron +20 -20 degrees, expo 35%
Elev +12 - 13,5 degrees, expo 20% , 13%
Rud +20 -20 degrees, expo 35%

SPIN
Aileron +10 -10 degrees, expo 25%
Elev +20 - 21.5 degrees , expo 33% , 19%
Rud +35 -35 degrees, expo 45%



That’s my current setup and works well for me, will leave it there for now as I am quite happy with the overall flight characteristics. Maybe some slight changes here and there further down the line when I got more used to the plane. Now practice, practice and even more practice and having fun with an incredible flying plane. Just thinking how the 125er Mythos would perform undergoing the same procedure? Would be an interesting project for the near future just thinking

Jorg
Last edited by Aviator1165; Jun 23, 2021 at 01:44 PM.
Jun 24, 2021, 09:17 PM
Registered User
Pattern_is_fun's Avatar
That sounds great!! I replaced my springs many years ago, and with a tray there is no accidental stick mixing. In addition to your dual rates, I run a full stick slow roll rate/ rolling circle mode. Not suggesting that but just what I do.

Keep the underside outside wing visible (flying level) and I’ll look forward to contest results!!

Good luck.
Jun 25, 2021, 07:25 AM
..Patience is Key
Aviator1165's Avatar
Cheers Scott

Funny that you just mentioned the underside of the wing! I am going to change the design as my mid aged eyes haves difficulties to judge level depending on weather conditions. There is not much contrast between the red and silver. So the silver has to go and being replaced with white. Quite like the scheme of the BJ Craft Epiloque. Way better visible at least in my books.
I am using also full stick aileron to keep roll rate constant but didnít think about a 4th flight condition for the rolling circles.

I am planning to attend contests next season because of my left hand weakness following a stroke last year. Now switching over 4 decades of flying experience in mode 4 to mode 2. Lots of training on my list at the moment.

Jorg
Jun 26, 2021, 05:08 AM
Registered User
Pattern_is_fun's Avatar
As many realize, most fly an ‘arc’ around them. The end box maneuvers come in because our eyes see the plane as the same size, so we must be the same distance. This perception leads to end box issues both in upline and downline maneuvers. Two things help this; 1) flying in closer, controlling the airspeed to stay in the box, 2) focusing on keeping the outside wing down (lower than you think). For the 50 size planes have a friend stand about 130 meters out and watch your ‘line’. Chances are good most will fly an arc; the end box coming in at both sides.

Some will fly higher to see the underside wings better. Keep the horizontal height the same and the wing ‘view’ never changes. Once you ‘see it’ that will become habit quickly.
Jul 06, 2021, 10:47 AM
Registered User
Rudix's Avatar
Fantastic to see another pilot out there enjoying the MythoS 50e!

Your version is looking great Jorg, well done and all the best for the competitions in the future!

I still love mine and it is still my preferred everyday practice plane as it is simply so much easier to transport (and less batteries to charge) than the larger planes I would use for contests. It flies so similar to my 125 and 2m versions that I fly the 50e most of the time and the larger planes only the last stretch before a contest. Not that we have had many contests the last 18 months....

But practicing is fun, it is like competing against yourself trying to get better. Once pattern is in your blood it is not easy to ignore it! Even my scale planes often end up flying a F3A schedule between "serious" F4H/C practice.



Rudi
Jul 07, 2021, 09:29 AM
..Patience is Key
Aviator1165's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudix
Fantastic to see another pilot out there enjoying the MythoS 50e!

Your version is looking great Jorg, well done and all the best for the competitions in the future!

I still love mine and it is still my preferred everyday practice plane as it is simply so much easier to transport (and less batteries to charge) than the larger planes I would use for contests. It flies so similar to my 125 and 2m versions that I fly the 50e most of the time and the larger planes only the last stretch before a contest. Not that we have had many contests the last 18 months....

But practicing is fun, it is like competing against yourself trying to get better. Once pattern is in your blood it is not easy to ignore it! Even my scale planes often end up flying a F3A schedule between "serious" F4H/C practice.



Rudi
Thanks Rudi!

Really love the plane the way it flies now. It is amazing to see what an increase on performance you can get out of an airframe if set up correctly. Absolute no comparison to my Mythos #1. Difference is like day and night.
BTW yours is stock, may I ask you to measure your incidence if you can please? Would be interesting what Seba is using from factory. Mine was way off, .2 and .4 positive.
Now I settled at .6 positive and the Mythos feels quite happy with it.

Cheers
Jorg
Jul 07, 2021, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Rudix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator1165
Thanks Rudi!

Really love the plane the way it flies now. It is amazing to see what an increase on performance you can get out of an airframe if set up correctly. Absolute no comparison to my Mythos #1. Difference is like day and night.
BTW yours is stock, may I ask you to measure your incidence if you can please? Would be interesting what Seba is using from factory. Mine was way off, .2 and .4 positive.
Now I settled at .6 positive and the Mythos feels quite happy with it.

Cheers
Jorg
Hi Jorg.

Yes, it is a stunning plane! This is my second MythoS 50e, lost the first one after a BEC (on the ESC) failure, I knew better but thought I would add an external BEC later, paid the price! Now running LiOn 2S packs for RX/servos on all my planes with 2 packs and 2 RX's (2.4 and 900Mhz) in a redundant setup in all larger planes.

The incidence on the first one was-.3 and 0.4, I made t 0.4 on both and it flew well but I never completed the trimming, might have needed a bit more as the flying field was at 5000' ASL. This one was 0.5 and just below 0.5, I ended up making it 0.5 and I am happy with it I am now flying at 400' ASL.

My 2 x 125e's and the Pro are all at 0.5 as well, they all "feel" similar.

Rudi
Jul 07, 2021, 01:52 PM
..Patience is Key
Aviator1165's Avatar
Hi Rudi

Thanks for the info re incidence. It seems it is widely spread depending how much rice vine mama san and papa san had before going to work. Lol. Sorry for your loss. Had a similar experience with a Seagull Spitfire. Put a cheapo voltage regulator from a big Chinese Distributor in it. Unfortunately the whole thing had a brown out on the maiden flight. No power on any of the surfaces. Since then I only put proper stuff from power box systems into my planes. Everything from 5s and above runs from external power just have no faith into internal becís for that reason. The 50e is on single Lipo for weight reasons. I would put a dual battery for redundancy in larger or full FAI spec airframes.

Enjoy your plane

Cheers
Jorg
Today, 10:26 AM
Registered User
Pattern_is_fun's Avatar
So…. How’s the flying going! Is the plane trimmed now - thrust? Once you think it’s good, they raising or lowering both ailerons 1/2-1 clevis turn. You won’t see any difference but the plane will fly a bit differently. This is not necessary but something I play with.

Also, how’s the stall into spin entry? If you keep dropping a wing, that wing is losing lift and will require an aileron (one) tweak our incidence adjustment.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools