Oct 21, 2020, 05:59 AM
After a short travel induced break from practice I managed to get in a nice session this morning. Perfect weather and having the flying field all to myself allowed me to get some good practice, it is nice to see the progress I am making.

I also took out a Miss Wind S this morning, it is interesting to compare her with the MythoS. They have exactly the same power setup but the Miss Wind S has a bit more drag so the duration I get out of her on the 5000mah pack is about a minute (10%) less than on the MythoS. The Miss Wind S flies really well and she is capable of the P21 schedule (did not try F21) but I think duration will be an issue when it is windy. She is also smaller than the MythoS so visibility is not quite as good. I think I would like to try a larger (125 or 2 x 2m) biplane in the near future.

to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2020, 11:33 AM
..Patience is Key

New Mythos Project

This season has been messed up in many ways for the most of us. Suffered from a major stroke beginning of June loosing my left side and thought never be able to fly again so I sold most of my stuff. Luckily my recovery goes well and I am definitely back on the sticks next season. I am just putting stuff together for a new Mythos. Inspired from Scott alias “pattern is fun” I will keep here as light as possible and I also like his Idea with the single servo on the elevators. As far as the servos goes I plan to use KST X12 and X10 mini. They are strong and precise very common in the F3B scene. 20 / 23 grams each which is approx the half of the weight of the Savox set up which I used in my first Mythos. For the power plant I am thinking of a Turnigy SK 3 4250 410kv only 266 grams on 6S 4500 40 C Zippys. 16x10 Falcon prop. My aim is to run this setup with 60 to 65 amps. Not sore in regards to the ESC. I might spend a little bit more here for a YGE 95 LVT. I like it’s telemetry and strong 8 - 18 amp bec. Further I plan to fit in some incidence adjusters in the Mythos. The idea is to fill the wing recesses with balsa and cover the whole area with Oracover so that the wings are flush with the fuse later on.
Will post some pics of the build if this is something of interest

Cheers
Dec 25, 2020, 10:00 AM

Incidence adjusters - a good thought

I started doing the same on my last build; fill in the fuselage sides at the wing root and use adjusters. Not sure why I did not complete that step as when I finalized wing incidence at +.8 I had to fill small areas around the wing root anyway. Then I use used a bit of red paint to touch up.

Good luck on the single servo elevator. While it’s not hard to do, think it through. I hung my fuselage from the nose at a height I could look down into it, cut the bearing braces, then dropped them in position sliding them down the pushrod. Give the braces a little slop right/left so the centering of the pushrod is perfect. It may take an hour for your first one but after doing many I can do this in 15 minutes or so. You’ll just get more efficient with practice.

The key here is to use a threaded Rod as the horn in each elevator, which can be bent in small ways to get your elevators tracking perfectly. Each elevator needs to move independently from the other with no binding.

Good luck. You are building a very capable plane, the results of well thought out building practices will pay off.

While I have not looked around lately don’t overlook the FMC motor and ESC combo. I recall 550kv / 70A esc and a great, cheap, match for this plane. The CG will come out great with these light components. You don’t have the rear servos any longer so a lighter motor /ESC combo works well. A heavier motor /ESC will mean your battery must be moved back more, moving it off the CG location and adding momentum to spins and snaps. Try to get the center of the battery as close to the CG location as possible.

Scott.
Dec 26, 2020, 07:03 AM
..Patience is Key
Hi Scott

Can I ask where did you have the adjusters fitted? On the front pin only or both. I think for the rear pin it is a bit tricky to install and adjust? Would be great if you could post some pictures of your installation, thank you. In regards to the motor I have looked into the FMS 4258 motor but it is difficult to get here in Europe. Did you adjust your throttle endpoints? 550 kv seems to be quite high to me on 6S, would think it’s more a 5s setup? As far as the motor goes I decided to give the Turnigy SK3 4250 410kv a try and see how it performs. Should give approx 1400 watts on a 16x10 and 6s Zippy 4500/ 40c. Pulling 65 to 70 amps in theory. Telemetry readings will tell the truth later on. The Turnigy is identical to the Hacker A40 12L in weight and watts. It comes in with 266 grams only. The recommended Hacker A50 16S is 345 grams or even the Dualsky 5060 which I used in my first Mythos was 380 grams. As I plan to use mini digital servos I will save approx a further 20 grams each servo. Will be interesting where I will end up with the total AUW this time. I am flying at sea level and think to set the incidence to +0.5 for a start. If I recall right the factory setting on my previous Mythos was somewhere between +0.25 and +0.3. I had always the impression that the tail was flying to low for my taste

Jorg
Dec 27, 2020, 10:33 AM
Recall I wrote: I started doing the same on my last build; fill in the fuselage sides at the wing root and use adjusters. Not sure why I did not complete that step.

I did not install wing adjusters, but thought about it.

Yes, at sea level I think +.5 may be real close. I did not like my tail flying low (like you) and the .8 raised it a bit. There is no proper incidence, it’s what you like. As you can’t adjust the stab most will adjust incidence so the elevators are 0/0 with the stab. My .8 makes my elevators as perfect to 0/0 as I can measure.

I did not adjust the throttle end points but have a throttle curve between 0 and 100%. I played with this a fair amount for my flying style. The Masters pattern requires good reserve power if you are matching the 6 cell batteries with amp size and C rating, (thinking about weight).

The plane will fly great if you keep it light and keep the rotational momentum low. You are doing all the right things. Good luck.
Last edited by Pattern_is_fun; Dec 27, 2020 at 10:40 AM.
Jan 12, 2021, 08:38 AM
..Patience is Key
Did some work on the single servo pushrod today. I used a 4mm carbon rod and a 6x6mm square carbon tube for both the reinforcement at the T section and as „bearings“. Runs smooth like silk with basically non friction. Couldn’t get a suitable tube but very happy with that solution.
Epoxy‘d a 30mm piece of the square tube as reinforcement for the T section. Next step a little work for the drill press to make sure the 3mm hole is in a 90 degree angle to the rod. Took some M3 threaded rod. Two M3 plastic nuts are holding the threaded rod in place and will be secured with CA on final installation.
Jan 13, 2021, 09:59 AM
..Patience is Key
If math is correct I could save approx 370 grams with the new components in comparison to my first Mythos. Motor and servo choice made a big difference. A CF landing gear from RS and the missing RX Lipo helped to save additional weight too. I am curious.
Jan 21, 2021, 10:43 PM
That looks great!! This is very close to my setup. You will really like it. Keep the servo as close to the wing tube as possible (close to the CG).

****. I would suggest a threaded screw going into the elevator halves. The screw can be bent slightly for fine tuning for elevator tracking. Use a hardwood block inset on the underside of the elevators. You will find unless you are very lucky that the exact position and angle of the elevator connections will be just a little off, causing one elevator to not track perfectly to the other. The ability to slightly bend that connection ( forward or backwards) will ensure perfect tracking.
Jan 22, 2021, 10:24 AM
..Patience is Key
Hi Scott

To be honest I was inspired from your setup and liked the idea of a lighter version of the Mythos. I am very curious how it feels in the air with the lower wing loading and the difference in snaps re less momentum in the tail. Sent a pm earlier on.

Jorg
Jan 23, 2021, 11:21 PM
Jorg, you going to love it!! I’ve flown many 2 meter Pattern planes and if you fly in closer with the Mythos (getting better scores!!) it looks like a 2 meter plane. Snaps are great; stop on a dime (a touch of reverse rudder). You’ll note I used a lighter motor and ESC and the motor, being up front, and lighter, lowers momentum. Noticeable? I don’t know. I’ll look for the PM, I don’t use that much.

Just looked for a PM - didn’t see one, but I’m not sure I’ll looked in the right place??
Last edited by Pattern_is_fun; Jan 23, 2021 at 11:27 PM.
Jan 24, 2021, 06:10 AM
..Patience is Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern_is_fun
Jorg, you going to love it!! I’ve flown many 2 meter Pattern planes and if you fly in closer with the Mythos (getting better scores!!) it looks like a 2 meter plane. Snaps are great; stop on a dime (a touch of reverse rudder). You’ll note I used a lighter motor and ESC and the motor, being up front, and lighter, lowers momentum. Noticeable? I don’t know. I’ll look for the PM, I don’t use that much.

Just looked for a PM - didn’t see one, but I’m not sure I’ll looked in the right place??
Cheers Scott
I did send it to IMAP Filter. That was the email address we have been using in the past.
Yes can’t wait to fly the new Mythos and feel the difference. The first one just didn’t feel right and couldn’t figure out what’s wrong with it. I hope that the new and lighter setup with changes in incidence will do the trick.
Feb 26, 2021, 09:28 PM
Jorg, how’s the plane going? Perhaps a few updates?
Feb 28, 2021, 12:08 PM
..Patience is Key
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattern_is_fun
Jorg, how’s the plane going? Perhaps a few updates?
Hi Scott

Thanks for asking. Nothing major at the mo just collecting bits and bobs and expecting the Mythos to be delivered mid to end March. Will post later when the project is progressing
Mar 01, 2021, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the update. Waiting is the hard part!!
Mar 16, 2021, 09:45 AM
Team Futaba

Mythos 50E's In Stock

For those interested, I have a few Mythos 50E's (White/Blue) in stock: https://www.sebartusa.com/online-sto...ARF-p119976168

Neil
www.sebartusa.com
sebartusa@gmail.com
443-961-7050

Quick Reply