iFlight BetView 5D/GH3 Full Upgrade RTF - Axis Gimbal

Looking for a “Ready To Use” 3-axis solution for your Canon 5D or Lumix GH3/4? iFlight just might have an answer!

iFlight BetView 5D/GH3 Full Upgrade RTU 3 Axis Gimbal

Plug & Play might actually be a reality for larger DSLR’s!

A great solution for the 5D/Gh3
Camera Compatibility:Canon 5D MII/III- Lumix GH3/4
Lens:24mm
Tuning:Plug&Play
Tilt/Roll Motors:GBM5208+1
Pan Motor:GBM8017-120T w/Slipring
Pan:360°
Tilt:300°
Roll:±50°
Dimensions:x H x D): Approx. 450 x 320 x 200mm
Weight:1450g
Max Camera Dimensions:(W x H x D)Approx. 180 x 200 x 200 mm
Max Camera Weight:Up to 1600g
Available from:iFlight
MSRP:$2,249.00

Finding a good working, reliable 3-axis gimbal for the Canon 5D Mark III or a Lumix GH3/4 can be quite a challenge. When looking to purchase a gimbal of this caliber the cost of these types of gimbals usually prevents a potential owner from the old “try them all, keep the good one” method like one might do with a GoPro sized gimbal. Fortunately, in this case, iFlight sent me one to review so hopefully I can save you some money and time.

The “Full Upgrade” version of the iFlight BetView 5D/GH3 gimbal is a whole new beast compared to it’s predecessor. iFlight have lightened the gimbal, added a huge pan motor with a slip-ring and generally made what was considered a good gimbal into a true winner with this new version! In the past few months I have been able to put the iFlight BetView 5D/Gh3 gimbal through it’s paces and I am very pleased to let everyone know that the iFlight 5D/GH3 full upgrade gimbal works very well! It’s able ot shoot in one-man operation in “Follow me” mode or even heading lock or what I love to use it as a two-man operation where this gimbal really excels! The iFlight BetView full upgrade 3-axis gimbal handled everything I threw at it and will be come one of my work horse gimbals!

Out Of The Box

The iFlight Betview gimbal comes in it’s own plastic and aluminum storage box. Depending on the mounting system you use to affix the gimbal to your rig, this case will actually be very useful in keeping the gimbal safe when not in use. Also included with the gimbal was a “4th axis’ if you will. They are fluid dampened bearings that allow the entire gimbal to use gravity and slowly swing side to side. I chose to remove these for the initial review as I could not figure out how to balance the 3rd axis when this “4th axis” was attached to the gimbal. When I have a bit more time, I will re-attach this feature and re-evulate the gimbal with the “4th axis”.

Here you can see that iFlight included very proficient brushless motors. The pan motor is huge and can handle larger cameras with ease!

Mounting

iFlight includes a typical “Cinestar-ish” “Star” mounting system that should bolt up to most existing gimbal mounts. Or you can purchase one of many available systems. I used a combination of a VulcanUAV quick release plate and a RC Rotors and Aerial Media Vibration dampening plate.

The included “Star mount”

Function and Flying.

Function

The iFlight Betview 5D/GH3 gimbal is Alexmos based, but comes fully pre-programmed from the factory. All you will need to so is hook up a receiver tothe inputs and you have a fully operational two-man 3 axis gimbal operation. I found my gimbal to be on Alexmos 2.3, but I assume later gimbals shipped may be on a newer version of Alexmos.

Here is a picture of the gimbal /rx connections:

I attached the iFlight BetView 5D/GH3 full upgrade gimbal to my workhorse the VulcanUAV Mantis Octocopter. This rig is fully capable of carrying around the weight and is a very stable platform to work from. If you have not tried a VulcanUAV frame, I can not recommend them enough. There is something in them that seems to help dampen very small vibrations (potentially the aluminum arms) and helps produce very clean footage. This rig has DJI S800 retracts installed so I could utilize the BetViews 360 degree pan. Although the gimbal can be used in a one man configuration, with this rig I prefer to use the two man capabilities and maximize the 360 deg pan to get some nice sweeping shots. I am running the recommended 4S lipo pack. At 14.8V there is plenty of power to smoothly move any camera in the 1600g weight limit.

Here is a small video of the iFlight BetView Gimbal in two-man mode. Notice how smooth the reaction to the radio inputs are. And how smooth the pan is. iFlight really have made a nice gimbal.

RCGroups.com's First Look At The iFlight BetView 5D/GH3 3-Axis Gimbal (1 min 56 sec)

Flying

Flying the iFlight BetView 3-axis gimbal is pretty straight forward for anyone that has used a 3-axis gimbal before. With the two different operator modes available it’s quite easy to get a lot of different shots with this gimbal!

In one-man mode the pilots options are “follow me” where the lens always points in the same direction as the craft is moving but it has about a 5 deg “dead band” to help stop jerky pan axis motion. So if you are batteling wind and moving your yaw slightly your camera footage will not move and your footage will be locked in. The second one-man mode is "Heading Lock". By flicking the 3-position switch you can enter "Heading Lock". Heading lock is just what it sounds like. If you have a subject (such as a building or stationary person) the pilot can line up with that target, flick heading lock on the 3 position switch and then as the pilot flies the craft around the camera will always point at the “locked” target. This function can be quite useful for a single operator and produce some wonderful results.

In two-man both “Follow me” and “Heading Lock” are available, but the camera operator can override either setting at any time by piloting the camera with the camera op TX. Obviously the camera operator will have to run a HDMI to Av converter and a video transmitter of their choice to optimally use this gimbal. We have found that the gimbal responds very well to RC inputs with around 40% expo set in the camera operators radio.

Pics and Video

Let’s take a look at the iFlight BetView 3 Axis gimbal mounted to my VulcanUAV Octo and then lets see the gimbal in action and see some test footage!

PICS:

Video:

RCGroups.com's Takes A Look At The iFlight BetView 5D/GH3 3-Axis Gimbal (6 min 18 sec)

Conclusion:

iFlight has a winner with the full upgraded BetView 5D/GH3 gimbal. A newer user will love the RTF settings and an experienced user will like that fact that they can upgrade the Alexmos based gimbal control board as they see fit over time. This gimbal would be happy in any professionals stable. It has found a home in mine!

Pros:

• Very light gimbal for the size of cameras it can carry
  • has a very nice quality feel
  • Includes a case
  • Huge powerful brushless motors
  • Very smooth /silent operation
  • versatile, not limited to one camera or lens
  • Has “4th Axis” Still to be tested.

Cons

• Price (High for some people)
  • Has “4th Axis” Still to be tested.

For more information please check out: iFlight

Last edited by RCGroups Update; May 20, 2014 at 05:54 PM..
Jun 16, 2014, 03:51 PM
I just ordered this gimbal, but i dont see there is a vibration dampner balls?

Is there a mount that I can order or is there one and I just dont see it?

Thanks
Jun 16, 2014, 03:53 PM
which mounting system did you use?
Jun 16, 2014, 10:05 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddamage
which mounting system did you use?
Read the first paragraph under "mounting"
Jun 17, 2014, 07:48 AM
Is the difference between the 1st version and the 2nd version just the lighter frame and the larger yaw motor?

On your sample video, was that a one man flight or did you have a camera man operating the gimbal?
Jun 17, 2014, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quaddamage
I just ordered this gimbal, but i dont see there is a vibration dampner balls?

Is there a mount that I can order or is there one and I just dont see it?

Thanks
Where did you order it from? I can't even find it from any of their list US distributers. Gothelirc stopped carrying them for some reason
Jun 17, 2014, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjjkkklll
Where did you order it from? I can't even find it from any of their list US distributers. Gothelirc stopped carrying them for some reason
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/iFlig...798028342.html
Jun 17, 2014, 09:54 AM
It's so hard to justify spending that much on an Alexmos gimbal when the zenmuse z15 is only slightly more expensive and it includes an hdmi>>>av converter and it's completely plug and play.

What do you think about the comparison SleepyRC????? I'm struggling with my choice.

And does the Betview come with the new 32 bit alexmos or the older 8 bit?
Jun 17, 2014, 01:21 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
That is a hard decision. It depends on your needs. If you fly ONE camera than I'd say go with the Zenmuse. If you fly different cameras and lenses the Betview is a better choice.

I believe it is the 8 bit board, but you can upgrade or even try the centerpiece board when it comes out.
Jun 17, 2014, 04:19 PM
Sleepyc have you messed around with the "4th" axis yet? just curious if & how that works?
Jun 18, 2014, 02:39 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
I did, and it works but I don't like it. Basically it lets the gimbal sway from right to left. It's dampened by oil filled bearings that slow it down. So basically if your rig is bucking back and forth in the wind it should in theory help steady the cam. But I found that it sometimes slid sideways when I did not want it to. I need more time to test but it's busy season, and I just need my rigs working currently.
Jun 18, 2014, 02:48 PM
But overall your pretty happy with the quality of footage you are getting from the gimbal?
Jun 18, 2014, 04:06 PM
Closed Account
Thread OP
Yes. The gimbal works finer, but the quality of footage is totally up to the rig it's mounted on. Motors and props balanced. Vibe plate tuned to the weight of the cam gimbal and motion of the rig. This takes some flights to get right but once right the gimbal works fine. I like it much more as a 2 man operation, but the follow me works sufficiently.
Jun 25, 2014, 08:50 PM
Does anyone happen to know about the wiring on the gimbal? I cant seem to get a AV signal from the plug on the base of the camera plate. I assume the other end is what comes out the top next to the power cord?

Quick Reply