This thread is privately moderated by TheQuestor, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 19, 2014, 11:13 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
Download

APM Planner 2.0 for Raspberry Pi

Well after so many hours I lost count I was able to actually make it work.

I present to you APM Planner 2.0 Raspberry Pi Edition

APM Planner on my Raspberri Pi (1 min 5 sec)

I did [and probably still do] have an issue with the deb file. You have to manually copy over /root/Documents/APMPlanner2_2.0.9/usr to /usr

wget http://www.sshcs.com/MissionPlanner/...01-1_armhf.zip
unzip apmplanner_000001-1_armhf.zip
sudo dpkg -i apmplanner_000001-1_armhf.deb
sudo cp -rf /root/Documents/APMPlanner2_2.0.9/usr /usr

Then just launch it via the menu and voila!

I'm still having some issues getting the 3DR Radios to connect, but I haven't put that much time into it.

It is a little slow [especially over VNC but mine is headless so that is how I use it] but pretty much everything works.

If you have a Raspberry Pi and want to play with it, there it is. Let me know your results

------------------------- Update -------------------------

I tested with 3DR Radios and it does work well.
The mapping is slow as dirt at first as this app is running the PI to its ragged edges. 100% cpu. But once you zoom in and wait for the app to respond again
it seems to be working well.

I'm going to turn my little PI into a ground station

As somebody requested the source code
https://github.com/diydrones/apm_planner.git

------------------------- Update -------------------------

I updated and uploaded the latest version from git
Last edited by TheQuestor; May 21, 2014 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2014, 07:28 PM
dexplorer
Tried to install this on my pi after your instructions and the deb installed successfully, but I don't understand the last line in your command sequence.
What is tbis copying of /root/Documents... supposed to do? After installing the deb, there's nothing created in /root and I can't find a structure like APMPlanner2_2.0.9/usr anywhere.
The only place where I find something related to APM is in /share but there's no /usr directory I could copy somewhere.
When I try to start APMPlanner I get: error while loading shared libraries: libosg0t.so.80: Cannot open shared object file
Any idea?
Jun 07, 2014, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zidlov
Tried to install this on my pi after your instructions and the deb installed successfully, but I don't understand the last line in your command sequence.
What is tbis copying of /root/Documents... supposed to do? After installing the deb, there's nothing created in /root and I can't find a structure like APMPlanner2_2.0.9/usr anywhere.
The only place where I find something related to APM is in /share but there's no /usr directory I could copy somewhere.
When I try to start APMPlanner I get: error while loading shared libraries: libosg0t.so.80: Cannot open shared object file
Any idea?
Did you try to install via root or sudo?

Let me install a clean raspbian and see what I can see and I'll get back to you.
Jun 08, 2014, 10:02 AM
dexplorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor
Did you try to install via root or sudo?

Let me install a clean raspbian and see what I can see and I'll get back to you.
Hm, good question. I guess I installed via sudo. But now that you say it...Will try to uninstall and reinstall when logged in as root.
Btw. I also tried to install all the missing libraries that apmplanner2 complained about when I tried to start it, and after a few hours of adding libs via aptituda the splashscreen finally showed, but then told me there was still something missing and I should try to reinstall....which I will do right now and then report back.
Thanks anyway for the tip!

Update:
So now I tried to uninstall and reinstall. Both as root and with sudo. With neither method I got this Documents folder within root I could copy to /usr.
The splashscreen shows up and after a while it states that the file /home/pi/qml/PrimaryFlightDisplayQML.qml cannot be found.

Which libraries are you trying to copy to /usr with this cp /root/Documents/APM.../usr /usr? I'm pretty sure that your last command is wrong.
Last edited by zidlov; Jun 08, 2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Yes, I posted this from my raspberry.... :D
Mar 22, 2015, 10:12 AM
Hi The Questor!

I'm Pablo from Santiago, Chile; and with my colleague we are trying to follow your tutorial in order to install mission Planner in a Raspberry Pi model B+

We can't execute the last command you wrote:

sudo cp -rf /root/Documents/APMPlanner2_2.0.9/usr /usr

When we execute it, it says that the directory doesn't exist, the terminal says:

cp: cannot stat '/roo/Documents/APMPlanner2_2.0.9/usr' : No such file or directory

Can you help us with this please?

Thank you very much in advance

Cheers,

Pablo
Mar 27, 2015, 03:19 PM

Here are the directories I had to move to make it work !!!

sudo mv /share/AMPPlanner2/* -r /usr/local

Note: I installed the program as 'pi' and not 'root'.
Mar 27, 2015, 05:37 PM
Been really busy but I'll try a new "non root" build and install and see if I can make everyone happy
Mar 28, 2015, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor
Been really busy but I'll try a new "non root" build and install and see if I can make everyone happy

My RPi is being used for something else but I subscribed to your thread because it was an interesting to see what people are achieving with them. Was there are particular reason that you decided to install and run as root?

I've had APM Planner installed on my Linux desktop for a while but it is rarely used. I still prefer Mission Planner.
Mar 28, 2015, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_AU
My RPi is being used for something else but I subscribed to your thread because it was an interesting to see what people are achieving with them. Was there are particular reason that you decided to install and run as root?

I've had APM Planner installed on my Linux desktop for a while but it is rarely used. I still prefer Mission Planner.
I really do not like APM Planner 2 at all. But I did it for the "adventure and challenge"

yes lazyness. Nobody but me is or will ever be on my pi so it's just easier to do it as root. Old habit from the days when you had to BE root to do pretty much anything on linux :P

Plus I don't actually build it on the pi, I do it via a chroot on one of my other linux boxes and trying it under anything other than root was a nightmare. Not just having to type sudo but I was getting odd lib issues. Anyway. I'll see what I can get done in the next week or so.
May 08, 2015, 02:46 PM
Going to be working on this, this week. Any progress?
May 24, 2015, 04:06 PM
dexplorer
Don't think so. The OP didn't respond to the question about the strange not existing files he copied since about a year, so you should be better off trying to compile this yourself.

Quick Reply