Jul 03, 2014, 04:44 PM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72
Here is what I did today with my Sabertooth.
Thanks for sharing that, I'd really like a front bumper too! But I'm more leaning towards adapting the Nitro Circus one still...
to remove ads between posts
Jul 03, 2014, 04:49 PM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
So I said earlier that I busted the center diff. Well it looked like I had, but when I'd opened all three diffs and found nothing wrong apart from them being empty save a tad of grease, I noticed that the rear dog bones cup (BS32862) had a loose grub screw. Easy to fix =).

The shocks were well filled though, but needed thicker grease. Have also switched to "red" springs, needs a lot less tension and goes together better with the 550 grease and the overall weight of the car imho.
Jul 03, 2014, 09:20 PM
How did you get the red springs? See this is my problem with Hobbyking cars. They're a great value and guys like us don't mind minor issues to iron out, but if they're not going to stock parts or the manufacturers can't supply the parts, then there is no value to the cars. There are several other Hobbyking cars I want, but I'm not buying any more of them with such poor parts support. I'm done. When they get serious about cars I will definitely buy more. If the manufactures can't supply parts, how the hell are they supplying the cars?!? I'm just sick of it.

I'm looking at SCT's and will probably get a Traxxas or Associated. Heck, redcat cars have parts available from many sources! That's why I keep buying those HSP piles. Cheap to fix!
Jul 08, 2014, 03:34 PM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
Quote:
How did you get the red springs?
They're listed under spare parts:
Option springs set for front shocks - Basher SaberTooth 1/8 Scale Truggy
Option springs set for rear shocks - Basher SaberTooth 1/8 Scale Truggy

This is the third car I buy from HK, and while spare part stock has shifted back and forth I think they've been quite acceptable when it comes to listing and stocking spare parts. Some have been missing, but they've added them in the end. Now with the Sabertooth the "good" spares went out of stock very fast and has yet to restock, so things have gone worse. Also owners of other cars use Sabertooth spares for their cars, like the shocks, so they disappear fast. Do not like.
Jul 08, 2014, 06:49 PM

diff case

Happy with the first runs but real clunky braking and initial start up..
Then the diff started slipping inside the
Jul 08, 2014, 07:34 PM
Sabertooth Basher from HK ran gr8 at first. Then started clunking between gears and braking.
Checked and replaced diff cogs but found rear diff was sliding in plastic casing in bearing moonts there was a lot of play. This caused the cogs to slip violently under load.
Asked hobbyking CS if they could source a replacement rear diff assembly but they had no idea what I was talking about and in the end were no help.
Can anyone help out on how to source a rear diff case?
Jul 10, 2014, 11:34 AM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
bubba, do you mean the Diff. Case - Nitro Circus Basher 1/8 Scale Monster Truck, SaberTooth Truggy part? Only two left at the time of writing... If your gears are stripped you'd either need to wait for the Diff. Gear Set - Nitro Circus Basher 1/8 Scale Monster Truck, SaberTooth Truggy (1set) to come back in stock or buy the Central Diff. Box Assembly - Nitro Circus Basher 1/8 Scale Monster Truck, SaberTooth Truggy and move the Arc Shaped Gear w/Washers for Output Shaft - Nitro Circus Basher 1/8 Scale MT, SaberTooth Truggy to the new case. If it was me I'd go with the last option.
Jul 14, 2014, 08:26 PM
cant leave things stock
so do these have weak diffs? or just not lubricated enough ... I am interested in them but I bought a HPI bullet and the diffs were weak and it was kind of a bummer.... now it just sits... I built an E Tmaxx I like allot and wanted to try one of these HK sabertooth truggys but I think Im going to wait a bit more till I hear more from you guys
take care
JAK
Jul 14, 2014, 11:30 PM
well from what i get the basher MT and the sabertooth has the same diffs front and back so i found lunithy's post on rcspark; post #10 he puts a hpi savage 4.6 diff in the basher with the basher internals in it. it really isnt that hard to do. here is the link

http://www.rcsparks.com/forum/monste...truck-arr.html

also the hpi #67211 - Light Weight Diff Axle Shaft fit with a little mod (just shave about a mm or 2mm on the skinny end where the pin goes making it the same length as the basher axle diff outs) those are a lot stronger and lighter than the sabertooth ones.

http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/67211
Last edited by cruz1383; Jul 14, 2014 at 11:39 PM.
Jul 19, 2014, 10:30 AM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoll
so do these have weak diffs? or just not lubricated enough ...
The diff gears are die cast, but at least I have not broken a single gear so far. I've opened all three diffs and they were lubed, but not oil filled. So while they work ok, they can be made to work better.

...and check the grub screws on the cups...
Jul 19, 2014, 11:22 AM
So they are lubed enough for running? I don't want to take this thing apart if I don't have to.
Jul 19, 2014, 11:42 PM
Quote:
So they are lubed enough for running? I don't want to take this thing apart if I don't have to.
I was wondering the same thing, so I removed the front diff to see if I needed to add silicon diff fluid but I found an adequate amount of a thick white grease inside and there was no gasket on the bottom of the diff housing and I don't want to take the chance of it leaking so I just left it alone
Jul 20, 2014, 12:22 PM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
Quote:
Mine were greased enough for running. But I've seen pics on totally dry diffs on other HK cars made by the same OEM so I shouldn't bet on it. You could remove and open just one of them and then you'll know =). It's not that hard. Take pics at each step if unsure.
Jul 20, 2014, 12:25 PM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinsum
I was wondering the same thing, so I removed the front diff to see if I needed to add silicon diff fluid but I found an adequate amount of a thick white grease inside and there was no gasket on the bottom of the diff housing and I don't want to take the chance of it leaking so I just left it alone
There should be two of part# BS32868, one on each end. Mine haven't leaked (yet!).
Jul 21, 2014, 07:31 PM
Quote:
while they are lubed the lube doesnt provide a resistance to change the way it behaves if you put thicker silicone oil in the center it will give the car a better ratio of power to the front and rear. If you put thicker oil in the front it will give it a more even ratio of power to both the front tires ( same if you put thicker oil in the rear) not just the one tire off the ground ( ie the power going to one tire while your turning and its off the ground resulting in a massively balloning tire; also if that happens theres more of a liklyhood of damage because once the tire touches the ground it shocks the diff cups as well as the diff gears, axles all the way to the pinion and motor) so as you can see a lot of power is lost ( with potential to break things) when you dont have the proper balance given by using the proper thickness of oils.

Quick Reply