Jun 02, 2014, 01:28 PM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72
Some new info. This car is the Acme Dominator. Lots of info online and on Youtube when youn search for that. Although it appears the motor battery layout is different.
One of the decal sheets says "A2025HK" which would suggest it's a variety specially for HK. The A2018T (Dominator) seems more like a cousin? Several of Acme's 1/8 cars has a lot of genes in common, which is good when getting spares =).
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2014, 08:25 PM
Wow, so little talk about this truggy here. We've been talking up a storm over at ultimaterc.com. I like to keep my info over here at RCG! I have one ordered, arrives Thursday, and the tires I posted arrive tomorrow, although I think they are way too tall, going to need a smaller pinion. And I'm worried the suspension might be strained by the huge tires. We will see. This is my large scale project. The tires I ordered are 6.89 inches tall. That's 1/5 scale territory!
Jun 03, 2014, 11:43 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
I'm following, but my "garage space" and budget don't allow yet another new car. ;-)
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jun 05, 2014, 09:35 PM
It came in today. Left rear shock leaked out. No biggie. Going to refill with 40 wt anyway. Here is a pic with the Trencher tires I got for it. Definitely going to need to get a different pinion for this!
Jun 06, 2014, 12:22 PM
DFS#000178
Is this a clone of any mainstream vehicle? Body looks Losi but I've been out of the scene so long that I can't identify newer vehicles on chassis alone. Lol.

If this is a Losi or Associated clone, I just might have to get one. My problem with non-name-brand cars is parts support.
Jun 06, 2014, 05:22 PM
Not a clone of anything but we are searching for parts compatibility. So far Losi 8 suspension pins are the same size.
Jun 07, 2014, 04:06 PM
what do you mean by losi 8?
Jun 07, 2014, 06:16 PM
Sorry I thought it was called something like that. Their 8th scale buggy.
Jun 08, 2014, 08:53 AM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
Ran it for the third time yesterday. Had a blast until the central diff busted. First one I've broken evar, and I wasn't that mean to it at all. So now I must take the time to check if mine is dry from the factory as well.
Jun 08, 2014, 08:54 AM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72
Here is a pic with the Trencher tires I got for it. Definitely going to need to get a different pinion for this!
Those look very cool, show us how they look on it when you've fitted them please!
Jun 08, 2014, 08:58 AM
Handsome yet classy
Thread OP
So I found out that it is quite fun to run on rocky slopes =). Not what I expected. Had to put 450 cSt in the shocks, is rock steady now.
Jun 22, 2014, 02:21 PM
Decided to work on the Sabertooth today. Batteries are charging. I just changed the oil to 40wt in all 4 and cranked down the pre-load. Much better. Lots of loose parts in the shocks, they should be serviced immediately after you get the car, and this is the reason I had not run mine yet. I installed Losi shock boots part number LOSA5427 15mm shock boot set: 8T 2.0 rear only. It comes with 4 so I just cut a half inch off 2 of them for the front. I am setting up the radio now and will report back. I am going to apply the stickers too before I get any dirt on it.

OK, just ran it. Oh My God! I was not ready for this. So much power and speed. My backyard is large for my 1/10 scale but way to small for this. Plus this thing can tear up some turf. No wonder it breaks, I am amazed at hoe much power is being put through those small parts. I need to take it out to a big field somewhere or a large sandy clearing like an early construction site. Word to the wise. Check your wheel nuts every run. I did not an almost ruined a wheel. I thought it was toast but the way that 17mm hex locks down it's fine. I have some Duratrax knurled nuts I'm going to install on it which should keep them tighter longer. Yes, I can see how a kid basher can destroy this in just one run. Now I need a bumper for the front.
Last edited by shahram72; Jun 22, 2014 at 04:32 PM.
Jun 22, 2014, 03:20 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Loose parts in the shocks? What parts exactly?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Jun 22, 2014, 04:35 PM
I edited my earlier post. The top cap and lower caps were loose on a couple of the shocks. I can see taking these apart again sometime. We'll see if they hold the oil. I highly recommend the boots as a cheap upgrade. Handled very nice with the thicker oil but I'll order those springs when they come back in. I'm almost maxed out on the rear preload now. I have another 1/4" I can turn it. It's fine now but not for big jumps. Does anyone know if the ESC is already set up for LVC? I ran for a while and when I quit it was at 3.85v per cell. Motor was hot but I could keep my finger on it for several seconds. A nice dual fan with heatsinks would be a nice add on. And I wan't even doing much speed in the backyard.

I just remembered a previous poster saying the car was underpowered for his taste. That person must be use to monster power systems in cars cause this thing is the fastest car I have ever seen in person and it has more power than I can get it to put to the ground. A lack of power was NOT one of my thoughts. I cannot imagine what you would do with more power. I screamed it up and down the road a couple times and stopped for fear of blowing something apart.
Last edited by shahram72; Jun 22, 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Jun 27, 2014, 07:02 PM
Here is what I did today with my Sabertooth. no running, but my first mod. Well, second if you count the Losi shock boots, which are minor, but worthwhile.

It's a bumper from T-bone-racing.com. They dont make one for this car but they make a blank for 1/8 truggies so I got that and had to make a pattern with paper and make a rubbing with a pencil. I also had to grind out a recess for the diff hump on the chassis with a dremel tool and then had to make recesses for the flush countersink screws with a hobby knife. I also had to cut off the section of the stock front bumper that extends below the chassis plate. This was the easiest part. It looks great and affords some protection from head on impacts. I highly suggest it. I have T-bone racing bumpers on ALL my cars that need them and fit them. They are custom made to order in the USA with an awesome tough material. I have them on my Exceed and Redcat cars and also on my son's Duratrax Evader. These modern cars come with a joke of a bumper. I'm glad there is someone who makes a bumper for these cars.

Quick Reply