The WLToys V303 (350 sized) "Seeker" quadcopter review - Page 426 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 05, 2017, 03:52 AM
Complete novice here, I’ve never owned or flown an RC aircraft in my life until now so apologies in advance for any ignorance.

I’ve picked up a V303 Seeker or, more accurately, a GT4040 Skymaster as it’s known in this part of the world for a god price from a mate at work. My understanding is that they are the same unit, although looking at photos the v303 seems to have a cable connected to the com port on the S4 controller and mine doesn’t.

Unfortunately I can’t get the machine to respond to the transmitter. After powering up the transmitter and switching on the quad the main led rapidly flashes yellow for 10 seconds, then starts doing the slow green/red hunting for satellites. Any attempt to start calibration (either transmitter or compass) doesn’t succeed, the led doesn’t change.

I took the lid off and noticed that the led on the receiver module flashes when the transmitter is switched off and is on solid when I turn it on. If I unplug the receiver from the S4 and power up the drone it shows the exact same sequence as I described above.

Connecting the S4 to a PC and firing up the software it seems to be able to read and write parameters fine and I have successfully downgraded and upgraded the firmware.

I figure it seems that the S4 is functioning OK and maybe the receiver module is faulty. (The quad has been sitting on a shelf, sometimes in a hot sun, for quite a long time, maybe the caps have dried out.) I found a replacement receiver on AliExpress for about $15 , for that sort of money it’s worth the gamble.

Anyway, while I wait for this bit to arrive, has anyone here had any similar experiences with this unit, or have suggestions what else I can try in the meantime.

TL;DR quad doesn’t respond to transmitter
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2017, 08:01 AM
FWIW (I have the same copter but a later version with a different flight controller I think)

Looks like your radio is connecting on the radio side, (that's the significance of rx lamp flashing to steady in all the rx's I have, anyway) but not doing anything more. Three possibilities spring to mind:

1. Your radio is OK but someone has ticked a box in the software that makes flight controller expect a three wire connector to the radio, rather than the more common (at the moment) 1 wire per channel, plus and minus supply. you should be able to find and untick that box using the copter's software disc.
2. Your radio is half stuffed and not outputting the correct signals to the FC. The new one will take care of that. Hopefully. and we are assuming the two are connected as tehy should be.
3. The Flight controller is stuffed. - He's not your mate unless he gave it to you!

That's my early take on things, lets hope there is a more useful reply, eh?
Sep 05, 2017, 10:32 AM
Connect quad to pc and see if gcs sees the controller. If it does then radio is fine. Maybe its not bound ?

If the radio responds i'd say FC calibration is out..

My personal history suggests that this thing should be burned alive either way. I have 2 of them in parts - both FCs (S4) are weird and will never fly again. Reused motors for other projects.
Sep 05, 2017, 04:11 PM
Thanks swallabat, BaronPork.

I paid NZ$90 (US$60) for it and he said he'd give me my money back if I can't get it going, so he's still a mate
I didn't receive a disk with it, I've only used the (downloaded) GCS software so far and I can't see the 3-wire/1-wire tick box option in there. IS there some other bit of software that i should look for perhaps?
The GCS software doesn't respond to the controller. The led on the receiver module goes from flashing to solid when the controller is switched on, implying to me that the two are at least paired. Is this the same as being bound as well. I have left both units powered on for an extended period with no success.

Thinking longer term, if the replacement receiver doesn't fix it, and taking on board the Baron's comments and other feedback around the (lack of ) reliability of the V303. The X380 is available here (new) at a reasonable price. If I was to buy this are there any parts of the V303 that can be repurposed for use with the X380? Particularly I'm thinking about:
  • the LiPo batteries
  • the gimbal (the powered one), will the one for the V303 fit on the X380
Sep 05, 2017, 04:31 PM
You can reuse motors, esc's, maybe pdb. S4 flight controllers are useless. Same goes for radio - useless, unless you need replacement control gimbals or pots to replace. Powered gimbal can be reused as well... Batteries as well.
Sep 05, 2017, 08:58 PM
Back to the V303 radio. If I was to get a 6 channel transmitter and receiver, something like this:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...___store=en_us
Could I replace the stock PPM receiver with this new one and connect the individual channels on the new receiver to their corresponding connectors on the S4?
Sep 12, 2017, 10:35 PM
Well, while waiting for my receiver to ship from China the XK X380 came on special here at NZ$197 and I had a $10 discount voucher for that particular retail chain. NZ$187 = US$135, seemed to good to leave it sitting on the shelf so I'll soon be flying (or crashing) an X380 and may be the owner of two quads in a little while if I get the V303 going too.
(Might go and buy another X380 at that price actually so I've got spare parts.)
Sep 13, 2017, 10:36 AM
Great idea. You could buy a FCB. For the X 380 and put it in the V 303. I think it is almost a clone ..
Nov 14, 2017, 03:55 PM
I've got used V303 Seeker. One fly was OK but then after powered on RED-GREEN-RED... blinking in sequence and nothing. V303 see Remote, perform calibration but then still blinking.
Engines not start. I put it for about hour at open area to find satellites - nothing. How to fix it?
Nov 14, 2017, 07:46 PM
No crash or hard landing ?
You did a good compass calibration.
You are sure you had no magnetic anything in your pocket. You are not close to a fence ?
Nov 16, 2017, 01:09 PM
Pretty interested in either the V303 or the XK X380. So besides the color differences are they the same. If not which one is preferred and why. Been flying my Q696A and like it really well but these two look appealing to me but not sure just which one to purchase. This will be a Christmas present to me.
Nov 16, 2017, 08:09 PM
V 303 is more dependable ( less problems ) the 380 has more features orb. And follow me.
Nov 17, 2017, 09:17 AM
Really prefer the white V303 but just wish it had orb like the 380 has. Gonna have to do some thinkin and that ain't easy.
Nov 17, 2017, 09:30 AM
There was a mod for the V 303 to add Follow me. Check U tube
Also the late model. ( came out right after and maybe even now shared the same transmitter and FCB as the 380. .. Mine has the original. I purchased mine 3 mo before the 380 came out.
Wltoys v303 seeker with wifi module (6 min 50 sec)

And
Wifi module v303 (3 min 9 sec)

May no longer be available.
Last edited by John Luciano; Nov 17, 2017 at 09:37 AM.