Apr 02, 2004, 03:34 PM
Thread OP

Head's up - New Low-Cost 370/400 Brushless Motors!

Needless to say, we're living in exciting times!
to remove ads between posts
Apr 02, 2004, 03:46 PM
Lagopus lagopus
That's nice to hear. This is going to be the year when brushless motors will get cheaper.
Apr 02, 2004, 03:52 PM
The 370 is marginally heavier than the AXI 2208 and the 400 a lot heavier than the AXI 2212 - then add in the hassle and additional weight of a gearbox. Will they out perform the AXI's? The AXI's are not much more expensive - $70 and $75 respectively, versus $63 and $73, with adapter ring, but still needing the gearbox!).

Cheers, Phil
Apr 02, 2004, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
The street price of the new motors are $48 and $55 (MAP, some lhs might price is lower - we might be able see online pricing, if allowed, around $40 or less for the 370 burshless). Both are touted as drop-in replacement for GWS gearboxes, and unlike Razors, HiMaxx, etc. there's no need to spend extra for adaptor rings or plates, as it is included! AXI's are nice, but there's the added hassle of modding an existing setup (ie, GWS Gearbox) to take a AXI (radial mount for AXI is additional $17+). Although the picture shows motor with bare shaft, the print eludes to 10T and 12T preinstalled gear available (corresponds to GWS 'C' and 'D' gearing) - in that case, it'll truely be a painless drop-in replacement for $50 or less, no hidden cost!
Last edited by Peter Khor; Apr 02, 2004 at 04:13 PM.
Apr 02, 2004, 04:13 PM
Lagopus lagopus
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr Kiwi
The 370 is marginally heavier than the AXI 2208 and the 400 a lot heavier than the AXI 2212 - then add in the hassle and additional weight of a gearbox. Will they out perform the AXI's? The AXI's are not much more expensive - $70 and $75 respectively, versus $63 and $73, with adapter ring, but still needing the gearbox!).

Cheers, Phil
AXI are outrunner and not everyone will want one, because you cannot put a gearbox and some like to do that. I am not in anyway badmouthing outrunner and it does have a place in the RC world. Outrunner are good for large and aerobatic airplanes and people who hate to deal with gearboxes. Still, you make a good point.
Apr 02, 2004, 04:52 PM
If they drop right into MPjet 400 sized boxes I am pretty interested for sure.

Who is selling em?
Apr 02, 2004, 05:37 PM
Tight is Right
>>That's nice to hear. This is going to be the year when brushless motors will get cheaper<<

Actually, the past two years have been that year. New, lower-cost brushless entries into the marketplace have happened fairly regularly.

This is another example.

Darren
Apr 02, 2004, 08:14 PM
When does the cost of a brushless ESC drop?
Apr 02, 2004, 08:32 PM
Don't look for anything special out of those motors--they appear to be the same as the Himax series. The fact is that the same factory makes motors for several importers in the US. Note the weights are the same as the Himax 2015 and 2025!

Steve
Last edited by sneu; Apr 02, 2004 at 10:05 PM.
Apr 02, 2004, 09:20 PM
Thread OP
Steve, thanks for the info! That was my next question actually, what motors did anyone think these were anyways.

fwiw, this is Horizon's in-house brand E-flite, available to lhs. The nice thing I see imo is wider availability and pricing; for the same price as a Himax, you get a pinion installed and a motor plate adaptor included in the deal. Don't take my word for it please, but imo some lhs should be able to offer these motors at an even lower cost than the $48/$55 MAP (upto 20% less?). But either way, the nice thing now is that one should be able to order it thru lhs for $48/$55 and pay only sales tax; great reason to support your lhs.

fwiw in the description they mention it will fit GWS and Eflite GB ... the Eflite GB is for their upcoming planes, profile Ultimate and Tribute - and here's another interesting news - the Ultimate is $50 and Tribute is $45 - that is complete cut and printed plane, hardware kit ... AND motor/GB/prop included! Posted here:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...01#post2018301
Last edited by Peter Khor; Apr 02, 2004 at 09:32 PM.
Apr 02, 2004, 11:40 PM
Lagopus lagopus
Well, it would be nice to brushless ESC to drop also.
Apr 03, 2004, 08:29 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Quote:
Originally posted by sneu
Don't look for anything special out of those motors--they appear to be the same as the Himax series. The fact is that the same factory makes motors for several importers in the US. Note the weights are the same as the Himax 2015 and 2025!

Steve
Yeah, looks like you're right. Re-badging drives me crazy - it seems so pointless

Matthew
Apr 03, 2004, 09:07 AM
RC Player
Steve,

It was from another manuf other than the Himax. I was in Beijing show last Oct. I saw this motor made by 2 other Chinese companies in China. I am not sure which one made this because they are almost identical.

I have a sample of this but the quality is terrible at that time. I believe they are improving for the quality but I am not sure how much progress they have on this motor yet. However, compare to the price it is worth the quality.

Charlie
Apr 03, 2004, 09:34 AM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
they have the same KV's as the himax's too, this is the third brand name i've seen on the himax motors so far lol

phil
Apr 03, 2004, 10:03 AM
Formerly of mcba fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Happy|Harry
they have the same KV's as the himax's too, this is the third brand name i've seen on the himax motors so far lol

phil
The other being Tornado?

The cross-pond gap would narrow if UK modellers were better made aware of what's in their shops. Himaxes are very popular in the US, but few in the UK have heard of them - I get the impression that many modellers have little knowledge of the latest breed of 'budget' BL motors.

Matthew

Quick Reply