Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 14, 2014, 07:22 PM
OpenTx University *****
Thanks for creating this!!

Casey
to remove ads between posts
Jun 14, 2014, 08:25 PM
Wow... Great to have calculated this now I realize that my setup needs to drastically improve my RC tx range...

40+ km on one setup I don't typically go more than 1-4 km but hate to lose video
Aug 06, 2014, 05:11 AM
Hi guys,

Major upgrade to www.maxmyrange.com . Inspired by Disco Tuna, maxmyrange now has funky graphs to let you see what difference tweaking each of your parameters will have.

You can now answer questions such as "what if I had more power" or "what if I changed frequency" or "got a new antenna".

Just visit the advanced section of the site and play around! And as always, if you spot anything wrong or have any improvements to suggest - fire away!
Aug 07, 2014, 07:32 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
What is the meaning of "Gain Adjustment" in the advanced page?
Aug 07, 2014, 07:58 AM
Hi Pattya01 - gain adjustment enables you to apply an additional adjustment to your gain. The classic scenario is if you want to factor in polarisation mismatch (using a linear antenna with a CP one for example, or to see the effect of a 45 degree bank of your plane when using linear ones). Most people will just set this to zero however.
Aug 08, 2014, 01:08 AM
When a hobby gets a passion
Thanks for the swift answer. Some advice: in the advanced page, it would be helpful to have some explanation of the fields. For people who use your site for the 1st time, it could be helpful. The dropboxes are a bit on the small side, some of the text inside is covered. On the normal page, filling in the data and "lets fly" give the result. But if you change 1 value after that (for example to change the antenna) and press "lets fly", nothing happens.

I'm using Opera browser.

I like your site and the idea. Thanks for that.
Aug 08, 2014, 07:43 AM
Hi Pattaya, thanks for the suggestions - most welcome!

I've added tooltips on all the advanced input boxes which should clarify things. I think the rest of your issues may be opera related. I've tested the site on the more common browsers (Chrome, IE, FF) so its likely that I'm doing something that doesn't work as well on Opera - sorry
Aug 08, 2014, 07:52 AM
Hi guys, small update to the site: added much needed tooltips on all the advanced input boxes and added a graph for Rx sensitivity.
Oct 14, 2014, 11:05 AM
Hi guys,

Six months and 15,452 searches later I’m glad to present our latest maxmyrange stats!

Visitors
- 2909 visits from 1673 people from 68 countries.
- Top countries are US (41%), UK (8%), Australia (7%), Canada (5%), Finland 5%) and Germany (4%)
- 34% of people aged between 35-44 and 25% 45-54 and 23% 25-34
- Average number of searches per session 10 (median 6)
- And a really pleasant surprise (or statistical error): 2.1% of visitors were female

The frequencies war
- 1.3GHz continues to be the most popular frequency (38%)
- Followed by 5.8GHz (32%), 433MHz (18%), 2.4GHz (10%) and 900MHz (3%)
- I do wonder at the 2.4 stat as I feel it is a really heavily used band and yet people don’t seem that interested in it…

The power war
- 600mw continues to be the most popular with 20%
- The low powers (10mw-400mw) got 32%
- The medium powers (500mw-800mw) got 42%
- The high and insane powers (1W-10W) got 19%

I attach a graph to show the distribution…

The antenna wars
This needs a bit more analysis. I’ve split this section into video and control, receiver and transmitter

Transmitter – Video
- Undisputed champion, the cloverleaf with 37%
- Followed by the inverted V with 12%
- Ducky, mad mushroom and skew planar 11%

Transmitter – Control
- Most people seemed to focus on comparing the Diamond with the Moxon (each getting 27%)
- Followed by inverted V (17%)
- Rubber duck (11%)

Receiver - Video
As expected the spread here was much wider due to the many choices available. Top scores in descending order:
- Cloverleaf 10%
- Pepperbox 9%
- Crosshair and Yagi 7% each
- Skew planar and duckie 6% and 5% respectively

Receiver - Control
The half wave dipole was clearly the winner here with 41%
Followed by the turnstyle (14%) and the inverted V (8%)

And finally, the absolute top winning combinations

1244 searches for 1/2 wave dipole on 1.3GHz at 500mw
731 searches for cloverleaf on 5.8GHz at 600mw
653 searches for the pepperbox on 1.3GHz at 800mw
592 searches for the Vulcan on 1.3GHz at 1000mw (now that’s a killer combo!)
562 searches for the ½ dipole on 433MHz at 100mw

Finally, for whoever’s really into the detail I can send over a csv with the raw data for you to play around with (any interesting observations please share here!)

Proto
Jan 28, 2015, 04:12 PM
Quick update - did some techie stuff and now maxmyrange looks pretty decent on mobile phones too
Jan 30, 2015, 06:07 PM
Sent by Touch Typing
Onya Protocrash, a most useful tool
Apr 19, 2015, 04:36 AM
Hi guys - on request I've added:
a) 2db rubber duck in addition to the 1db for both Rx and Tx
b) Monster 2.5W Tx power level

Enjoy
Apr 20, 2015, 10:13 AM
Hey guys,

I just submitted maxmyrange to Product Hunt – a cool and very popular site for presenting and ranking new tech/software products. If you liked maxmyrange how about you pop over to ProductHunt and cast your vote (you’ll need a twitter account for this – if you don’t have one, well, this is the perfect excuse to create one )

http://www.producthunt.com/posts/max-my-range

Cheers!
May 18, 2015, 04:04 PM
Hi guys,

Following feedback from a few people I've made some improvements:
1) Added the 36MHz and 72MHz frequencies
2) Added the 23dBi patch from Myflydream
3) Added half way dipole as a control Tx antenna choice

Just one note of caution on the 36 and 72 MHz frequencies. They are super low frequencies so of course their theoretical range is great. However, note that these radios are analogue and don't have any of the clever frequency hopping gadgetry that modern radios have. So they are subject to other issues that digital radios aren't.

Frequency assumptions and antenna photos to follow

Proto
May 20, 2015, 02:03 AM
Hi guys,

By popular demand I've overhauled the assumptions page compeltely to include two new aspects for each antenna:
- photo
- frequencies in which you can find this antenna in FPV shops

In the process I also came across Hugo's Sniper antenna so I've added this to the list as well.

http://www.maxmyrange.com/assumptions.html

As always do write if you see anything wrong or missing!

Cheers
Proto