Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 13, 2014, 04:46 PM
Discussion

MaxMyRange - theoretical range calculator

Hi guys,

"Max my range" may be an exageration but, I've made a little website that calculates your maximum theoretical range given your setup (frequency, power and antennas).

Check it out here: http://www.maxmyrange.com

I've also included the list of assumptions used (such as the gain used for each antenna) in the info pages (little ? top right).

I hope people find it useful and please do provide any and all feedback. Also, if I've got an assumption wrong or am missing an antenna do let me know!
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2014, 08:26 PM
Nice!!!! Couldnt have imagined what went into making that...
5.8ghz
600mw
Blue beams
1.3 miles
May 14, 2014, 09:50 AM
You're missing Gatling (16dB) and Vulcan (18dB) both are CP.

-Hugo
May 14, 2014, 10:24 AM
Don't leave it Stock
Very Cool

How about the great inverted "V" definitely needed.
May 14, 2014, 06:18 PM
ChrisI
600mw not a power option.
May 17, 2014, 02:45 PM
ChrisI
Also I have a 7 turn helical,,
May 21, 2014, 02:22 PM
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback!

@mrfliboy, I actually had the inverted V under RX antennas by mistake - fixed this.
@Hugo Added the gatling but couldn't find any reference to the Vulcan anywhere on the net (is this some kind of top secret up and coming truerc invention I'll be throwing my money at soon?!?!)
@JCLs, added 7 turn helical and both 400mw and 600mw options.

Thanks again!
May 21, 2014, 02:54 PM
Vulcan

-Hugo
May 21, 2014, 03:22 PM
Since 1902. Maybe.
Interesting

250mW are quite common for 5.8GHz.
May 21, 2014, 04:21 PM
Soaring Peacock Aerials
Not sure but I get 1.28mi for my rubber duckys, when I input skew planar and cloverleaf i get .83mi. This can't be correct right?

5.8ghz, 200mw, Rubber Ducky x 2 = 1.28mi.
5.8ghz, 200mw, Skew and Clover = .83mi

Nice addition to the hobby, could become as important as Ecalc.
May 21, 2014, 05:04 PM
Hi guys.

@Hugo - That's super cool - will add it on the next update! Although... it should come with a warning "...and now you need a yagi for your UHF!"
@Jesse - Double checked the calculations and they are correct - the theoritcal range of the duckies is greater, but that's not the reason why people go with skew/clover, its the circular polarisation and all the multipath rejection goodness it brings. So in practice and in most situations the CP set gives better results. And, thanks for the massive complement, can't imagine RC life without eCalc
May 21, 2014, 05:14 PM
Great site! Not bad for the 25mw - 0.3miles Both cloverleaf! That will be far enough for my FPV
May 21, 2014, 06:01 PM
Missing 800mw , 300mw and 50mw for 1.3. I have all three.

Very nice, good work.
Last edited by cactus; May 21, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
May 22, 2014, 10:11 AM
Hi guys,

Maxmyrange has been running for a week now and I just couldn’t resist doing some analysis on the data…

Here are some of the key observations:
1) The most popular (as in, most frequently selected) frequency is 1.3GHz (35% of choices), then 5.8GHz (25%), then 2.4 followed closely by 433. 900MHz has a mere 1.5% (not much of a surprise as 900MHz is subject to legal/interference issues in many countries)
2) The most popular Tx wattage is 500mw (44%, not much of a surprise here), followed by 200mw and 750mw. Anything under 200mw barely got a click while a good 13.7% chose 1.5W (“I know I shouldn’t really, but … what if…”)
3) Cloverleaf is by far the most popular Tx antenna (40.6%), followed by rubber ducky (21%), Skew planar (12.8%), and mad mushroom (9.1%). The rest barely got a click
4) In terms of Rx antenna, things were more interesting and people seemed to try out various combinations. Crosshair was the winner with a mere 16.3%, followed by your omnis (cloverleaf, rubber ducky and skew planar) followed by more or less everything else with a few percentage points each
5) Aaand… the number one combo of choice is a pair of cloverleafs at 500mW on 5.8GHz. Dare I suspect the fatsharks/phantom combo at play here?

Now, I’m not at all sure what this really means – does it show us what setups people use? Or maybe what they’d like to? Or maybe that people just like playing around!
Any grand theory on what actual useful conclusions can be drawn from this?
May 22, 2014, 12:19 PM
I spent some time altering power levels and antenna gains to compare some of my setups as well as see what would change if I did X or Y. Very useful tool to get a general idea if a given setup is in the ball park to do what you want to do. Much of my flying involves proximity in and around massive pine trees, structures, hills, etc.

Taking this to the next step might be some sort of live evaluation tool plug in for Google Earth that might be able to calculate the Fresnel zone violation impact on the link budget when something comes between the Tx and the Rx. But you would have to have meta data about the materials of all natural and man-made objects to determine how they would block a signal? Not likely easy to get... How about live weather queries to see how the humidity would impact your flight?