Osprey F5J From Soaring USA

An ALES and F5J style competition plane.

Splash

Osprey F5J

ALES and F5J style competitions are growing in popularity. SoaringUSA offers the New Osprey F5J to fit into that category. The Osprey's wings have a shorter center panel and longer tip design, couple that with a generous dihedral and you get a fantastic turning model. The Osprey is also very docile and a great ship to help with your thermal skills.

Details:

• Length - 61"
  • Airfoil - Drela
  • Wingspan - 134"
  • Weight - 42oz Empty
  • Controls - Ail-Ele-Rud-Flaps-Throttle
  • Price - $995.00

The 3pc wing construction is:

• Composite fiber glass
  • Ample carbon reinforcing throughout
  • Carbon wrapped spar system and solid carbon joiners.

• The fuse pod is a mixture of carbon fiber/Kevlar with pre-installed firewall and mated with a strong carbon boom.
  • The removable elevator is full flying and mounted on a strong reinforced V-mount pedestal.
  • The vertical stab is afixed to the boom and pushrod slots are pre-cut.
  • This model comes complete with full hardware package, fuse pushrods, wing control rods and clevices included.

Learn more about this plane at Soaring USA.

May 13, 2014, 10:10 AM
turn, turn, turn.
hey Jim

Do you know the recommended CG?
May 13, 2014, 10:16 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
Sorry, I don't have that info.
May 13, 2014, 10:24 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
Sorry, I don't have that info.
bummer, that seems to be one of the issues on the other Osprey thread.
thanks anyway.
May 13, 2014, 10:31 AM
Kenny,

As this seems to be pretty much a Supra clone, I'd suggest that a typical Supra CG would be about 102mm. Should be in the ballpark I'll bet.

Joe
May 13, 2014, 10:33 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcglider
Kenny,

As this seems to be pretty much a Supra clone, I'd suggest that a typical Supra CG would be about 102mm. Should be in the ballpark I'll bet.

Joe
you know, I was thinking the same thing....I just didn't want to say it, because I wasn't exactly sure if it was the same as a Supra.
May 13, 2014, 10:57 AM
Admin Deluxe
Thread OP
The word from Bob B is 94 to 98 mm from LE of wing.
May 13, 2014, 11:09 AM
Bro
Bro

Osprey

Howdy,

The Recommended cg is 94 to 98mm from LE.
This model is very easy to set up. Flies extremely well.
Especially for the price point.
It is made in Ukraine by one of our producers we worked with for some years.
Does not speak English, but sure builds well!

IF you are having trouble setting up get a experienced guy at your field to lend a hand. I do see some pretty good info here on RCG as well..

Best
Bob
Latest blog entry: 2015
May 13, 2014, 11:16 AM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
The reviews are great so far and a kit is on the way to a club member of ours. I can't wait to see it and help get it flying. Dr Drela was kind to share many different airfoils with us. It sure would be nice to know if one or more airfoils were used across the span and what they are.

Thanks
Curtis
Momtana
May 13, 2014, 11:28 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
The word from Bob B is 94 to 98 mm from LE of wing.

appreciate it

thanks to Bob as well
May 13, 2014, 11:57 AM
Bro
Bro

Osprey section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
The reviews are great so far and a kit is on the way to a club member of ours. I can't wait to see it and help get it flying. Dr Drela was kind to share many different airfoils with us. It sure would be nice to know if one or more airfoils were used across the span and what they are.

Thanks
Curtis
Momtana
Howdy,
We were told it was an Drela section. I think it looks SD like also.
Many of our producers tweak many of the published sections I.e. "Mod"added to the name.
I think folks get waay to wrapped up in trying to determine exactly what the section is when many of these models come from tools that have been touched by so many hands that in the end it is not the same polars. The lofting has a lot to do with this as well.
The Xplorer is probably the most common example.. 1000s of airframes worldwide..Notice Nan says "special f3j" this is probably more close to the truth than most.
I remember the first time I was in the factory in Bulgaria and asked the owner what the section as on a shadow, he smiled and said we started with a HN.
Good starting points from prior similar section wings can be helpful info, but in the end, each model will need to be tuned to extract the best performance.
I would tell most guys "fly more, think less"..

Best
Bob
Last edited by Bro; May 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM.
May 13, 2014, 12:53 PM
Dark Side of the Red Merle
Thanks Bob. If the word (mod) was placed after it I probably would not have asked. Since it was so Supraesque looking and the Drela name was used alone I thought I would ask.
Oh, and I agree 100% with you assessment. If I flew just 10% of the time I spent building and helping and perusing RCGroups I would be a much better pilot.
I hope I didn't step on any toes by asking.
Thanks
Curtis
May 13, 2014, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the info, Bob. I really could care less about the airfoil, other than knowing the basic section so I know if I should be flying it fast, slow, or somewhere in between. I have 3 other ALES planes, all built-up, and each one likes a different speed. I can fly the "slower" one a little faster but the faster foil doesn't like to be slowed up too much.

I've also had the luxury of having the manufacturer at the field for all the other models. He would simply know at a glance if it was right. I may enlist his help for this one, too.

Dave R.
May 14, 2014, 08:34 AM

Initial impressions

Weather and life have limited my test flights. Here's where I am. All up flying weight, 1772 grams, 62.5 oz. I made no attempts to keep things light. 1300 ma motor, 500 ma LiFe for receiver. Cg at 94mm is nose heavy for me with dive test. Not sure how far back I'll move it. It was windy with a storm on the way, so I only got in a couple of flights. Even at the nose heavy cg I found the plane indicated lift well. I had a nice low level "save" that always is fun.

I'm flying with the TE neutral to the molded base. It has been stated that this is really a reflex position as with the Supra. I also own a Supra and fly it TE neutral. However, in both cases I fly with elevator to camber mix, so in a thermal turn with up elevator I am putting camber in. It's worked well for me with the Supra, seems to work well with the Osprey also. Cruise was fine for me, penetration upwind also good. I'm happy for first flights, we'll see how things go with more flying time.
May 14, 2014, 09:38 AM
E sailplane thermal hack
Barry,, What motor exactly are you using in her??

Quick Reply