May 19, 2019, 06:54 AM
Losing d8 to have access firmware on my txs is just not an option unfortunately, im too heavily invested in d8 and d4r rxs plus all the aio FC Rx ESC stuff ..
Obviously there is the multiprotocol module here for that though I would prefer to continue using the internal module for frsky.
to remove ads between posts
May 19, 2019, 06:55 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Some might be unaware that FrSky has backed off on the "access only" idea and the new radios will have D16 compatibility now.
May 19, 2019, 07:01 AM
I Void Warranties
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
The part I like about the access protocol is the bind is at last more versatile and able to bind to multiple txs
Deviation can already do that with about any protocol
May 19, 2019, 07:03 AM
I Void Warranties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Some might be unaware that FrSky has backed off on the "access only" idea and the new radios will have D16 compatibility now.
Good to know, thanks, that's hard to keep track of all the conflicting info.
May 19, 2019, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goebish
Deviation can already do that with about any protocol
By using fixed ID?
Quote:
Good to know, thanks, that's hard to keep track of all the conflicting info.
It's just d8 that is not going to be supported as it stands right now.
Hopefully that might change too and then I'll be happy to upgrade ...

Anyway time will tell.
May 19, 2019, 07:15 AM
I Void Warranties
I've read that upgrading a D16 Rx to ACCESS would overwrite the bootloader and disallow to be "downgraded" to D16 again, rumor or reality ?
Same for (i)XJT modules ? That means losing LR12 & D8 protocols.
(if this is true, FrSky is the new Apple DJI, and this is a no no for me)

Sorry, trying to sort out facts out of fake news
Last edited by goebish; May 19, 2019 at 08:58 AM.
May 19, 2019, 07:18 AM
I Void Warranties
@nigelsheffield by using fixed ID in model settings + in the top-section of hardware.ini (above [modules]), set the same txid = xxxxxxxx for all your transmitters.
May 19, 2019, 07:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
Good to know that. At least one generation (D16) of previous protocol becoming supported might trigger my interest in having a 2.4G "spectrum analyzer" in the TX just for fun Also may turn the X9 Lite into something usable in real life. Until you brought that information I saw the X9 Lite as a good radio for simulator use only.
May 19, 2019, 07:30 AM
I Void Warranties
Spectrum analyzer would be straightforward to implement with MPM, if opentx is willing to support it ...
(or maybe a LUA script would be enough)
Last edited by goebish; May 19, 2019 at 07:45 AM.
May 19, 2019, 07:38 AM
Thanks, I wish frsky taranis was as flexible as deviation txs.

The access protocol I guess would be safer than using fixed ID I'm guessing maybe if both txs happened to be turned on at once with same Rx number ( unlikely I know ).

Anyway it's my opinion that frsky should just accept that there is competition and make their txs compatible with ALL there previous rxs and therefore with with jumper too, and adjust prices to be competitive, if the access protocol is REALLY worth having then people will buy frsky stuff and pay a little more more need be.

I would happily buy frsky rxs and txs still over jumper , i always have done , but this move to cut off D8 is putting me off future frsky purchases .....
May 19, 2019, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
Thanks, I wish frsky taranis was as flexible as deviation txs.

The access protocol I guess would be safer than using fixed ID I'm guessing maybe if both txs happened to be turned on at once with same Rx number ( unlikely I know ).

Anyway it's my opinion that frsky should just accept that there is competition and make their txs compatible with ALL there previous rxs and therefore with with jumper too, and adjust prices to be competitive, if the access protocol is REALLY worth having then people will buy frsky stuff and pay a little more more need be.

I would happily buy frsky rxs and txs still over jumper , i always have done , but this move to cut off D8 is putting me off future frsky purchases .....
D8 is a bit illegal in EU though, so frsky can't really sell stuff with D8 support there.
May 19, 2019, 08:32 AM
I Void Warranties
It's not illegal to use (I've a pre 2016 X9D, and I believe I'm still allowed to use it by law), but I agree it's illegal to import
But they can continue doing what they're currently doing, ship it with Eu firmware, then that's the user responsibility to reflash it with Fcc firmware (and that's what Jumper, iRangeX and other MPM manufacturers should do too).
Last edited by goebish; May 19, 2019 at 09:39 AM.
May 19, 2019, 09:55 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Quote:
I've read that upgrading a D16 Rx to ACCESS would overwrite the bootloader and disallow to be "downgraded" to D16 again, rumor or reality ?
Same for (i)XJT modules ? That means losing LR12 & D8 protocols.
Rumor, that stemmed from pre-release marketing drafts that suggested a one-way upgrade. Was later told it wasn't the case. I have receivers I've flashed back and forth multiple times.
May 19, 2019, 09:56 AM
I Void Warranties
thanks for clarifying.
May 19, 2019, 11:00 AM
65 years of RC flying

DIY Multiprotocol TX Module

Apparently FrSky do intend to support D16 via the internal module and D8 via their own external module.

From Andrea Luang of FrSky:

“You actually do not need a multi-protocol module if you have the FrSky original receivers at hand. The new ACCESS radios will support binding D16 mode receivers with its internal module (ETA in May), and upcoming XJT Lite external module will support binding D8 mode receivers (ETA in June ).”

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1925

Quick Reply