Thread Tools
Dec 31, 2018, 03:12 AM
No RTF flies like your own SB
mperaltaoz's Avatar
Hi guys,
Has anyone measured the RF power of the iRangeX module with an ImmersionRC v2 power meter?
I measured it with a module I got from Aliexpress but it doesn't seem to be working well...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2018, 06:37 AM
nigelsheffield's Avatar
I've not measured anything but my home built nrf2401l module has much better range than the jumper multi module, I wonder if the x-lite modules are similarly poor compared to the DIY module.
Dec 31, 2018, 09:22 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz
Has anyone measured the RF power of the iRangeX module with an ImmersionRC v2 power meter?
I measured it with a module I got from Aliexpress but it doesn't seem to be working well...
I have one I have been using for testing some 915MHz stuff so I'll report back with iRangeX numbers once I get the SMA to RP-SMA adapter needed. It is coming with some other small parts from China so it might be a couple weeks still.
Dec 31, 2018, 10:56 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
I've not measured anything but my home built nrf2401l module has much better range than the jumper multi module, I wonder if the x-lite modules are similarly poor compared to the DIY module.
Nigel, there were a couple reports of QC problems with the Jumper module - specifically the shield IIRC. May be worth taking a closer look at yours.

For FrSky & DSM protocols my Jumper 4in1 seems to be very close or better as my factory radios using both RSSI/TRSS with control tests working out to ~1/2 mile. Similar DSM range measured with my DX6i, QX7, 2 ORX DIY modules, and 2 BG Atmel modules, all in the same location and with the same oem Delta Ray receiver. The ORX TXs (oem firmware) seem to have a slight edge on everything else in low power test, but at 1/2 mile they are all better than needed for LOS with that plane.
Dec 31, 2018, 11:26 AM
nigelsheffield's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
Nigel, there were a couple reports of QC problems with the Jumper module - specifically the shield IIRC. May be worth taking a closer look at yours.

For FrSky & DSM protocols my Jumper 4in1 seems to be very close or better as my factory radios using both RSSI/TRSS with control tests working out to ~1/2 mile. Similar DSM range measured with my DX6i, QX7, 2 ORX DIY modules, and 2 BG Atmel modules, all in the same location and with the same oem Delta Ray receiver. The ORX TXs (oem firmware) seem to have a slight edge on everything else in low power test, but at 1/2 mile they are all better than needed for LOS with that plane.
I'll have a look sometime, I didn't notice anything amiss when I opened it up for flashing.fw.
I actually only need the nrf2401 module in the multimodule so I might look at making something to fit the x-lite rather than buying the smaller multi module by then again it's work....if the x-lite multi module works well I guess it's much easier to just buy it..
Dec 31, 2018, 11:40 AM
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield
I'll have a look sometime, I didn't notice anything amiss when I opened it up for flashing.fw.
I actually only need the nrf2401 module in the multimodule so I might look at making something to fit the x-lite rather than buying the smaller multi module by then again it's work....if the x-lite multi module works well I guess it's much easier to just buy it..
May not be worth opening the shield, but other modules have had poor soldering inside. At least with building your own you know the parts and work done.
Dec 31, 2018, 07:47 PM
No RTF flies like your own SB
mperaltaoz's Avatar
I measured the iRangeX module with a 1-8000MHz RF Power Meter I got from Aliexpress (see photo below).
I can see that in the FrSky protocol, the signal goes up to 20dBm (100 mW), but in other protocols it seems to stay within very low power readings.
I suspect this is a problem with the sampling rate in the meter as opposed to the iRangeX module (tested 2 modules with the same results), and hence my question around the ImmersionRC v2 meter.

See the graph in the photo below for details on how 3 protocols (FrSky, DSMX, FlySky) compare.
Last edited by mperaltaoz; Jan 01, 2019 at 03:25 AM.
Jan 01, 2019, 06:28 PM
No RTF flies like your own SB
mperaltaoz's Avatar
Further to my previous post, here is a comparison between the iRangeX MPM and the Orange DIY module.
As I was suspecting from field tests, the ORX module seems to have more power (and hence range?) than the iRangeX MPM...
Something that I don't get, though, is the different shape of the signal....
Both of them were transmitting on DSMX 11ms, shouldn't the signal be exactly the same?
Jan 01, 2019, 06:45 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Which firmware (oem or MPM) is your OTX TX using?
Jan 01, 2019, 07:31 PM
No RTF flies like your own SB
mperaltaoz's Avatar
Otx 2.2.2
mpm 1.2.1.12
Jan 01, 2019, 07:35 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaZoom
Which firmware (oem or MPM) is your OTX TX using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz
Otx 2.2.2
mpm 1.2.1.12
Sorry, meant the ORX DIY TX module?
Jan 01, 2019, 07:38 PM
No RTF flies like your own SB
mperaltaoz's Avatar
I don't know... it is the stock fw that comes with the module
Jan 01, 2019, 08:04 PM
Up! Up! And Away!
GottaZoom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz
I don't know... it is the stock fw that comes with the module
Well, 2 different firmwares is a difference, but I don't know if it accounts for your signal difference.
Jan 04, 2019, 08:46 PM
Registered User
Using the Immersion RC RF Power Meter (2400MHz, 160ms, Peak mode), I can say there is a pretty large variation in TX power between protocols. This is linked directly to the iRangeX 4-in-1 non-plussed with a RP-SMA to SMA converter:
FlySky (original recipe / AFHDS2A): 82mW / 87mW
DSMX: 87mW
FrSky: 55mW
SymaX: 65mW

And using the included antenna, which is more difficult to get a consistent reading due to having to move all around to find the best signal / polarization.
FlySky: 10mW
DSMX: 10mW
FrSky: 5mW
Futaba SFHSS: 5mW
FrSky from Taranis Q X7 internal transmitter: 11mW
FlySky from FS-i6X: 6mW

So on my iRangeX it seems the A7105 and CYRF6936 seem to be on par with their respective native transmitters, but the FrSky is way weaker. All of these tests were performed without being connected to a RX though, so I am not sure if the protocol implementation ramps down the peak power when not connected. It didn't make a difference on the FlySky protocols, but I will test with a friend's FrSky R-XSR over the weekend and report if there are any differences.

OpenTX-x7 2.2.2
Multiprotocol 1.2.1.22
Jan 05, 2019, 01:22 AM
nigelsheffield's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBry
Using the Immersion RC RF Power Meter (2400MHz, 160ms, Peak mode), I can say there is a pretty large variation in TX power between protocols. This is linked directly to the iRangeX 4-in-1 non-plussed with a RP-SMA to SMA converter:
FlySky (original recipe / AFHDS2A): 82mW / 87mW
DSMX: 87mW
FrSky: 55mW
SymaX: 65mW

And using the included antenna, which is more difficult to get a consistent reading due to having to move all around to find the best signal / polarization.
FlySky: 10mW
DSMX: 10mW
FrSky: 5mW
Futaba SFHSS: 5mW
FrSky from Taranis Q X7 internal transmitter: 11mW
FlySky from FS-i6X: 6mW

So on my iRangeX it seems the A7105 and CYRF6936 seem to be on par with their respective native transmitters, but the FrSky is way weaker. All of these tests were performed without being connected to a RX though, so I am not sure if the protocol implementation ramps down the peak power when not connected. It didn't make a difference on the FlySky protocols, but I will test with a friend's FrSky R-XSR over the weekend and report if there are any differences.

OpenTX-x7 2.2.2
Multiprotocol 1.2.1.22
Hmm, how does the bayang protocol look?


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools