Oct 26, 2020, 05:18 PM
Just bootloaded via adruino my irangex and it's showing 1.3.1.75 as version ? Thought the last one was .69
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 06:33 PM
Happy FPV flyer
69 is the latest release version, if you take the latest source from the repo and compile yourself you get the current development status. If you want to specifically compile 69 get the source from the release.
Last edited by Kilrah; Oct 26, 2020 at 06:39 PM.
Oct 26, 2020, 06:47 PM
Ah ha thank you used the link on github , gotcha.

Thank you
Oct 26, 2020, 10:52 PM
thanks everyone for all your hard work on this amazing product. i haven't checked the thread in a number of years when i was originally trying to build my own diy multiprotocol (without much success). anyway, i've been using an iRangeX without problems and then i decided to upgrade the firmware. i was successfully able to do it. but now i find that i have to rebind the vast majority of my models. this has become a massive hassle since some of the receivers are buried deep in the plane. so far, i've attempted to connect to 62 of my planes and only about 4 of them didn't need to actually need to rebind and it just worked. however, in the other 58, i've had to rebind. the vast majority of my planes are on DSM2 with a couple DSMX and a handful of FrSky D8. the handful that just worked without needing to rebind have been on DSM2 protocol, but none of my UMX planes.

is there any rhyme or reason to why some planes need to be rebound after updating the firmware and others don't. i've got about 60 planes left to rebind, so if there is some simple trick that allows me to not have to physically rebind the remaining planes, i'd be eternally grateful!
thanks.
-beanie
Oct 27, 2020, 07:00 PM

write to module is failing in flash multi

see attached. it's seeing the com port but failing to write to module. What could be wrong? Also attached photos showing my connections between the ft232 and the irange x board
Last edited by bpjacobsen; Oct 27, 2020 at 07:34 PM.
Oct 27, 2020, 07:28 PM
Is the jumper multimodule better than the irange x? seems like it has the usb built into it already. And does the latest firmware have the M2 protocol? Does the jumper require any soldering to do firmware updates or is it ready to go? I feel like I"m getting nowhere with the irangex see above. God knows if I soldered the headers correctly, though they are not going anywhere. seems like they should be good but per my prev post it's not reading the module.
Oct 27, 2020, 08:19 PM
bpjacobsen- i hear ya on the frustration of doing firmware upgrades. i just recently completed my iRangeX upgrade. mine was one of the old original versions, so i decided to upgrade. i used the Arduino method (primarily because i have a mac), but maybe you can do it that way? what version firmware is your iRangeX? after u get it up to something like v1.2 or so, you can then flash the latest and greatest firmware via the transmitter itself if you are running opentx v2.3.3+ i believe. i can't tell for sure, but is your programmer set to 3.3v on the jumper? the image got really fuzzy when i tried to enlarge it, so i couldn't tell what pins were connected where.
i've been having problems trying to update my original Banggood DIY 328p based board. i'm unable to burn the bootloader/fuses. it's been a frustrating journey.
be aware, on the iRangeX, after i upgraded, i needed to rebind 95% of my planes which has been a royal pain in the rear. i've finished binding 60+ but have another 60 to go
-beanie
Oct 27, 2020, 09:11 PM

Wiring ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpjacobsen
see attached. it's seeing the com port but failing to write to module. What could be wrong? Also attached photos showing my connections between the ft232 and the irange x board
Ground to Ground
Tx to Rx
Rx to Tx

?

Did you load drivers first ? Then switch to DFU Sticky then update to .69 it does not have driver with it?
Oct 27, 2020, 09:34 PM
Quote:
What is the exact type of your IRangeX module? As you wrote in your next message it probably does not have the USB connector? So is it the IRX4 (non plus) module? Which firmware is on it right now?

The pictures are very unclear, we also need to see which jumpers you used and those are missing in the picture. Please post clear pictures that are readable if you cannot get it to work after this.

The FTDI must be connected like this:
TXD on FTDI - RXD on IRX4
RXD on FTDI - TXD on IRX4
GND on FTDI - GND on IRX4

Jumper on IRX4 (remove after flashing):
BOOT0

If you power the module from the FTDI (which you don't seem to do right now having only three wires), then you might also need to connect jumper 3V3 on the IRX4 (remove after flashing).

Then power transmitter (as it seems you have it inside the transmitter). Use FlashMulti 0.5.0 to flash the firmware. I think the bootloader must be replaced as well to enable flashing from OpenTX. See the instructions on the Github pages of FlashMulti.

PS. The IRangeX IRX4Plus is recommended above the IRX4 because it has the USB port and leds to see the status of the module, but apart from that it should work fine when you have the right firmware and bootloader on it. The Jumper JP4in1 is not recommended because it is known to have fake chips.
Oct 27, 2020, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alm_nl
What is the exact type of your IRangeX module? As you wrote in your next message it probably does not have the USB connector? So is it the IRX4 (non plus) module? Which firmware is on it right now?

The pictures are very unclear, we also need to see which jumpers you used and those are missing in the picture. Please post clear pictures that are readable if you cannot get it to work after this.

The FTDI must be connected like this:
TXD on FTDI - RXD on IRX4
RXD on FTDI - TXD on IRX4
GND on FTDI - GND on IRX4

Jumper on IRX4 (remove after flashing):
BOOT0

If you power the module from the FTDI (which you don't seem to do right now having only three wires), then you might also need to connect jumper 3V3 on the IRX4 (remove after flashing).

Then power transmitter (as it seems you have it inside the transmitter). Use FlashMulti 0.5.0 to flash the firmware. I think the bootloader must be replaced as well to enable flashing from OpenTX. See the instructions on the Github pages of FlashMulti.

PS. The IRangeX IRX4Plus is recommended above the IRX4 because it has the USB port and leds to see the status of the module, but apart from that it should work fine when you have the right firmware and bootloader on it. The Jumper JP4in1 is not recommended because it is known to have fake chips.
try the attached pics. Should be clear now. I confirmed the wires are correct. The jumper is on the bootD pins. what about the ftd jumper though? Do I have that one right? As for the Plus you still have to solder the one header to flash firmware. I don't u nderstand why they are not just making these ready to be flashed and making us have to do all this extra work?
Last edited by bpjacobsen; Oct 27, 2020 at 10:58 PM.
Oct 28, 2020, 02:45 AM
Ben Lye
Quote:
try the attached pics. Should be clear now. I confirmed the wires are correct. The jumper is on the bootD pins. what about the ftd jumper though? Do I have that one right? As for the Plus you still have to solder the one header to flash firmware. I don't u nderstand why they are not just making these ready to be flashed and making us have to do all this extra work?
Add another jumper to the middle set of pins in the 3x2 block so that it looks like ||: and try again.

The IRX4 Plus comes with the bootloader installed and can be flashed over the USB port, zero soldering required.

The Radioboss / RadioMaster JP4in1 is also a good choice. That one has the same builtin FTDI chip as the Jumper to make flashing a little easier, but has a genuine NRF module.
Oct 28, 2020, 04:11 AM
Pascal
Quote:
Originally Posted by hexagon5un
I've got a few of these models: DF Models SkyTumbler and an iRangeX4 multi-module.

Opening up the included transmitter, it's an XN297LBW-based jobby. Any clue which of the XN297 protocols to start testing with?

If none of those work out, would anyone be interested in a sniff of the SPI lines?
The XN297 protocols are indicated in the protocols table: https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-...alphabetically
Scroll fully to the right to see the emultaion column.

Sure you can dump the SPI and we will see what we can do. If you could open a new issue on GitHub, that's better to keep files together and chat.

Pascal
Latest blog entry: Samson RC Tugboat
Oct 28, 2020, 04:15 AM
Pascal
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanie
thanks everyone for all your hard work on this amazing product. i haven't checked the thread in a number of years when i was originally trying to build my own diy multiprotocol (without much success). anyway, i've been using an iRangeX without problems and then i decided to upgrade the firmware. i was successfully able to do it. but now i find that i have to rebind the vast majority of my models. this has become a massive hassle since some of the receivers are buried deep in the plane. so far, i've attempted to connect to 62 of my planes and only about 4 of them didn't need to actually need to rebind and it just worked. however, in the other 58, i've had to rebind. the vast majority of my planes are on DSM2 with a couple DSMX and a handful of FrSky D8. the handful that just worked without needing to rebind have been on DSM2 protocol, but none of my UMX planes.

is there any rhyme or reason to why some planes need to be rebound after updating the firmware and others don't. i've got about 60 planes left to rebind, so if there is some simple trick that allows me to not have to physically rebind the remaining planes, i'd be eternally grateful!
thanks.
-beanie
Unless your firmware was damn old (3-4 years back), there is nothing to rebind.
The only 2 protocols that will require a rebind are Flysky AFHDS2A (if older than 1.5 years) and Frsky D8 (6+ months ago.
Regards, Pascal
Oct 28, 2020, 05:43 AM
totally a noob question ...irangex module flashing..can it be done with a usbasp programmer rather than the ftdi ...just realised i have one in my drawer ...is it possible ???
Oct 28, 2020, 05:45 AM
Pascal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxian
totally a noob question ...irangex module flashing..can it be done with a usbasp programmer rather than the ftdi ...just realised i have one in my drawer ...is it possible ???
no...

Quick Reply