Jan 22, 2020, 11:03 AM
An 'old fart' here who is pushing 73(bear with me) needs some advice, assistance and reassurance on updating.

Purchased a Jumper T16 Pro Hall
https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/jumper...sensor-gimbals
Firmware :- Tx is running OpenTx t16.2.3.2 ; internal multi module is running 1.3.0.44

Also purchased a Jumper 4 in 1 SE multi protocol plug in module for my Taranis X9D
https://www.quadcopters.co.uk/jumper...smitter-module
Module is running 1.2.1.25

Coming from a Futaba background I run AETR channel order.

What I want to do is bring both multi modules up to the same latest version 1.3.0.53

Proposed method:
1/ Bring OpenTx on T16 up to latest version 2.3.5 (Is this version OK. I've got indications from various forums about backward compatibility issues etc?)
2/ Remove Tx SD card and connect to computer. Copy on to SD card the latest multi firmware for the internal module using my channel sequence of AETR, multi-stm-opentx-aetr-noinv-v1.3.0.53.bin
3/ Return SD card to Tx and flash internal multi module by selecting SD card and the saved folder by using roller wheel and Tx menu display.
4/ Repeat 2/ for external plug in multi module using, multi-stm-opentx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin
5/ Repeat 3/ but flashing external module.

I've got this from a link previously posted https://www.multi-module.org/using-t...methods#opentx

A few questions:
As previously asked, does OpenTx 2.3.5 have any backward compatibility or other issues?
Do I have to down load to the Tx SD card the two .bin files separately?
Can I leave the .bin files on the SD card or should I delete them after use?(archived on computer in case of future requirements)
I realise I will have to use an alternative method if I get a 'No Sync' error when updating the external plug in module(lack of bootloader)
Is this a viable way or is there a better way?

I hope I've made sense and not made any foolish errors. When I started work back in the early 60's valves(tubes) were still 'the thing'!

Many thanks for any replies.

TIA
to remove ads between posts
Jan 22, 2020, 05:54 PM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
Do you have the internal or external module?

Those version look to be prior to having the boot loader required for for the in radio update. If they don't have the boot loader and external you will have to use avrdude (program) to load the new firmware via USB. If internal you need a special adapter to load the new firmware with avrdude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktumbler
An 'old fart' here who is pushing 73(bear with me) needs some advice, assistance and reassurance on updating.

Firmware :- Tx is running OpenTx t16.2.3.2 ; internal multi module is running 1.3.0.44

Also purchased a Jumper 4 in 1 SE multi protocol plug in module for my Taranis X9D

Coming from a Futaba background I run AETR channel order.

What I want to do is bring both multi modules up to the same latest version 1.3.0.53

Proposed method:
1/ Bring OpenTx on T16 up to latest version 2.3.5 (Is this version OK. I've got indications from various forums about backward compatibility issues etc?)
2/ Remove Tx SD card and connect to computer. Copy on to SD card the latest multi firmware for the internal module using my channel sequence of AETR, multi-stm-opentx-aetr-noinv-v1.3.0.53.bin
3/ Return SD card to Tx and flash internal multi module by selecting SD card and the saved folder by using roller wheel and Tx menu display.
4/ Repeat 2/ for external plug in multi module using, multi-stm-opentx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin
5/ Repeat 3/ but flashing external module.

I've got this from a link previously posted https://www.multi-module.org/using-t...methods#opentx

A few questions:
As previously asked, does OpenTx 2.3.5 have any backward compatibility or other issues?
Do I have to down load to the Tx SD card the two .bin files separately?
Can I leave the .bin files on the SD card or should I delete them after use?(archived on computer in case of future requirements)
I realise I will have to use an alternative method if I get a 'No Sync' error when updating the external plug in module(lack of bootloader)
Is this a viable way or is there a better way?

I hope I've made sense and not made any foolish errors. When I started work back in the early 60's valves(tubes) were still 'the thing'!

Many thanks for any replies.

TIA
Jan 22, 2020, 06:27 PM

Help Please

I have a club members Taranis X9D and IRangeX multi-module.
I have installed OpenTX 2.3.5. I burned the bootloader and uploaded Multi protocol 1.3.0.53 using a serial FTDI from Arduino. All went well with no errors.
I selected the Frsky D16 option to try a test bind with an S6R receiver without success. I did notice the 'no-multi-telemetry' message on the screen.
I copied the pre-compiled file to the SD card and installed it from the transmitter, still no luck.

I tried the IrangeX from my own transmitter and it worked fine on the other transmitter. The only difference between the two modules is the new one displays 'no-multi-telemetry'. The green LED is constant and the red LED is Flashing 1s on 1s off.

I am at a loss to know what the problem is, could it be a faulty unit?
Last edited by Cumbernauld; Jan 22, 2020 at 07:26 PM.
Jan 22, 2020, 07:37 PM
looking up, down under
is it checked in the x9d firmware ?
Jan 22, 2020, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
is it checked in the x9d firmware ?
yes, multimodule is shown in firmware options.
Jan 22, 2020, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbernauld
yes, multimodule is shown in firmware options.
Did you use the "inv" version of module firmware 1.3.0.53 for the external module?
or "noinv" version which is used mainly for internal module of Jumper T16?

Rich
Jan 22, 2020, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcurtis2
Did you use the "inv" version of module firmware 1.3.0.53 for the external module?
or "noinv" version which is used mainly for internal module of Jumper T16?

Rich
Hi Rich,
Just double checked and it is the right firmware multi-stm-opentx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin
Jan 22, 2020, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Hi Rich,
Just double checked and it is the right firmware multi-stm-opentx-aetr-inv-v1.3.0.53.bin
Does the precompiled firmware flash to the MPM successfully when done using SD Card and the X9D?

The LED Status flashing is listed in Multiprotocol troubleshooting section here.

Also a lot of information on the FlashMulti github pages.

Rich
Jan 22, 2020, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by locktumbler

This Jumper T16 internal MPM has the bootloader already installed and can be flashed from the SD Card as you described.
You can access the SD Card on the T16 by using the USB port on the top of the T16 and then load the file to it. (No need to remove the SD Card from radio)

Quote:
Unfortunately this one has no bootloader installed but can be updated directly from the USB port to load the firmware and bootloader using Flash-Multi.
After the first flash, which also adds the bootloader, this one could then be updated via the SD Card file also.
But I find it is is easier to just update the external module using USB cable and Flash-Multi.

Rich
Jan 23, 2020, 05:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcurtis2
Does the precompiled firmware flash to the MPM successfully when done using SD Card and the X9D?

The LED Status flashing is listed in Multiprotocol troubleshooting section here.

Also a lot of information on the FlashMulti github pages.

Rich
Hi Rich,
I can flash both from the SD card and using Flash-Multi on the USB port.
Jan 23, 2020, 05:37 AM
Ben Lye
Quote:
I have a club members Taranis X9D and IRangeX multi-module.
I have installed OpenTX 2.3.5. I burned the bootloader and uploaded Multi protocol 1.3.0.53 using a serial FTDI from Arduino. All went well with no errors.
I selected the Frsky D16 option to try a test bind with an S6R receiver without success. I did notice the 'no-multi-telemetry' message on the screen.
I copied the pre-compiled file to the SD card and installed it from the transmitter, still no luck.

I tried the IrangeX from my own transmitter and it worked fine on the other transmitter. The only difference between the two modules is the new one displays 'no-multi-telemetry'. The green LED is constant and the red LED is Flashing 1s on 1s off.

I am at a loss to know what the problem is, could it be a faulty unit?
What does the 'bad' module do in your radio?

It seems like you've put the correct firmware on it, which pretty much leaves faulty hardware. The problem could be as simple as a pin not making contact in the module bay, but that's normally due to the radio pins being bent rather than a faulty connector in the module.
Jan 23, 2020, 05:48 AM
I am beginning to think it is a faulty module. I tried it in my Taranis x9D+ that also uses a MM and the problem is still there.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzo99
What does the 'bad' module do in your radio?

It seems like you've put the correct firmware on it, which pretty much leaves faulty hardware. The problem could be as simple as a pin not making contact in the module bay, but that's normally due to the radio pins being bent rather than a faulty connector in the module.
This bad contact suggestion got me thinking so I opened the module and had a look at the pin connector solder joints, one looked a little iffy so I fired up the soldering iron and redid the joint....Success!!! Now working fine.
Jan 23, 2020, 06:12 AM
Ben Lye
Quote:
This bad contact suggestion got me thinking so I opened the module and had a look at the pin connector solder joints, one looked a little iffy so I fired up the soldering iron and redid the joint....Success!!! Now working fine.
Good stuff - well done
Jan 23, 2020, 08:56 AM
just a curiosity since normally the rf chips in frsky radios make sure that they cannot be identified .... here it seems that the x9 lite (access) has the cc2650 or am i wrong?

Inviato dal mio POCOPHONE F1 utilizzando Tapatalk

Quick Reply