A Tale of Two Servers - RC Groups
May 12, 2014, 12:04 PM
Discussion

A Tale of Two Servers

Many members have received some confusing emails in the past few days and have written or called me to ask what happened. A major shift in the community of email providers has thrown us a curve. First some background.

YAHOO
For many years, SVSS has maintained two email distribution lists. Yahoo was the first one. It was set up about 14 years ago by, former member Jeremy Agresti. It is available to the general public and currently has about 230 subscribers.

DONEEN
Then about 12 years ago another former SVSS member, Richard Hanschu, established an exclusive email distribution list on a private server. Richard installed an email handling program on the Doneen Inc. corporate server. Doneen became the “members only” list for exclusive club business. It consisted of active SVSS club members only. Your email address was added when you joined the club and removed from the list if you discontinued your membership.

WHY TWO?
The Yahoo list (svss1@yahoo.com) with about 230 followers is voluntary and available to the general public. There are times when club specific business is not suitable for the general public, voting for instance.

WHAT HAPPENED?
In just the past couple of weeks, many email providers have ramped up their anti-spamming efforts by implementing more aggressive tools and protocols to limit the ever increasing flood of malicious and unwanted emails (aka spam). Roughly a half dozen email providers, inadvertently identified Doneen as a spam site. These six providers, who serve about half of SVSS’s membership, blocked all mail that originated from Doneen. Although innocent, Doneen was rendered impotent as a communication tool for our members. We had no choice but to disable the mail distribution program on Doneen. RIP Doneen.

WHAT’S NEXT
Because your board feels that a “members only” email distribution list is an important communication tool for the club, we will search for a suitable replacement. In the meantime, make sure that you are subscribed to the Yahoo list, cuz right now, it’s all we got. You can either subscribe or verify that you ARE subscribed by simply sending a blank email to;
svss1-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
You will receive an automated reply that you’ve been added to the group. If you are already a subscriber, you will receive a notification to that effect.

Dudley
to remove ads between posts
May 13, 2014, 02:01 PM
Dudley,

The beta test group for my product uses Google groups (3pibetatest@googlegroups.com). The groups can be open to general signup, or can be restricted to additions by admins/mods. We have been using it for about six years, without problems of any kind.

I just set up "SVSS-members@googlegroups.com". I will add Dudley as the first member of this group to see if he likes it.

Please understand this group can be deleted without hassle if people don't like it. I tried "SVSS@" but it was taken. SVSS1 was available but would have been confusing. Thus, "SVSS-members@googlegroups.com". I can change this if the club membership would like a different group-name.

I will process all requests for membership. If someone will forward me a complete member list with e-mail addresses, I'll enter them.

Randy
May 14, 2014, 10:35 PM

Randy, you're the man!!

Randy you are very kind to offer to help with this. It will involve a huge time commitment on your part. Lots of typing.

I sent you an email with the current club roster and privately expressed my sincere appreciation for your kindness.

Thank for helping us to get up and running again!!!