Mar 08, 2015, 03:00 PM
Here is my first impression on the Bebop without the sky controller

Parrot Bebop - Maident Flight and First Impressions . PIP outdoor video (8 min 27 sec)

In short is an excellent copter under some point of views, and a problematic one under other... all in all ... I don't regret my acquisition... for who has Lufthansa air miles, the price can be reasonable, even for free with enough miles
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2015, 11:53 AM

ADDING WiFi WEP security on Bebop

Tested on FW 1.98.10 ->

Telnet inside bebop .. and give following commands

bcmwl addwep 0 1234567890
bcmwl wsec 1

At this point you get disconnected and you can reconnect but using the password

Automatic mode (but extra safe, else you can be in trouble)

vi broadcom_setup.sh

At the end of the create_access_point
Before the print out of success

add the two lines:
-------------
bcmwl addwep 0 1234567890
bcmwl wsec 1
-----------

ESC qw! ... and it is done

Tested fine ... all time working .. even after change the battery

My battery is low (only one .. the other arrived defected) ... more info later

Thanks to "tomkart" for find it out how simple is to activate WEP

PS: you can change 1234567890 with any other 10 digit number ... maybe other combination works ... but the 10 digit works fine for me
Last edited by e_lm_70; Mar 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM.
Mar 13, 2015, 01:12 PM
What is WEP?

Little vid, playing with the Bebop:
Bebop test (1 min 50 sec)
Mar 14, 2015, 11:35 AM
WEP is a basic WLAN encryption security... as you may know WIFI on parrot is free, everybody can connect, and some smartphone do connect automatically to anything available.

Also a hacker can connect to a ebb and shot down from air on one second ... it is mega easy ... also remember your fly data and location is published... I can see people with a Bebop that fly around me and/or around the world ... so it is risky twice

Adding WEP, nobody can hack inside my bebop

Ps: Nice video ... yes in good light for YouTube standards ... bebop does decent videos ... I wish they will sell the camera only ...it will be nice to have on a FPV250 quad
Last edited by e_lm_70; Mar 14, 2015 at 11:42 AM.
Mar 17, 2015, 06:09 AM
Old age ain't for sissies.

New Bebop

Just got my Bebop a week ago. Some observations:
Got to watch my props; seem to come loose easily. Even right out of the box one was not tight.
Last hardware software change seem to be an improvement with GPS locking.
Noticed first time when I flew last that the screen with the WiFi data on it that the Bebop signal was right on the greatest indicator.

Haven't been able to figure this one out:
When I crash and the Bebop starts letting me know by that loud noise; don't know how to stop it except to pull the battery.

Overall so far flies great. Just confined to my back yard. Have not tired any distance or height or use of GPS RTH.
Mar 20, 2015, 06:48 PM
Tonight (not in dark) flew for a short time with green GPS .
For the most part was just drifting allover, don't think it was just me.
Acted somewhat similar to what others have reported with GPS lock on?
Last edited by Carl334; Mar 21, 2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: change
Mar 21, 2015, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl334
Tonight (not in dark) flew for a short time with green GPS .
For the most part was just drifting allover, don't think it was just me.
Acted somewhat similar to what others have reported with GPS lock on?
For what I read and I experienced, Parrot does not know how to fuse the GPS data with the other sensors, mainly the bottom facing camera ... people report better result when they disable GPS

I may try to put a little alu foil for kill GPS signal .. and check again
Mar 21, 2015, 02:49 PM
Today loaded map of city park 6 miles from home.
Flew for a short while never over 10M high at the park.
Three times initiated RTH .
Surprised the h...out me!
Flew just as it was supposed to do!?
I probably should mention that I was using a Nvidia Shield and also with previous posts.
Mar 24, 2015, 09:37 AM

Does 1st gen ipad work with bebop?

Has anyone used the bebop & skycontroller with a 1st generation ipad? Does it work OK? I'm thinking of getting a used one to dedicate to the drone so I can leave it mounted and ready to go. Thanks.

PS - Here's a picture of my solution to the skycontroller emergency and record buttons that are far too easy to hit accidentally. They are stick on "corn & callous cushions" from the drug store. They make the buttons harder to accidentally hit.

PPS - The latest skycontroller software enabled the LEFT HAND "home" button to return the camera pan tilt angle back to straight ahead. Nice if you've been slewing around and want to get it back to default.
Mar 24, 2015, 04:09 PM
I received a Bebop drone as a gift on january . My impression : its a very interesting piece of technology that is not reliable,(it will probably improve with each new firmware update ) when using my second generation iPad . The true range is not more than 10 meters and you lose connection and control at larger distances . I 've been trying to buy a sky controller , its probable the best way to go but Parrot site sends you to Amazon's, Apple and other stores were you can only buy the combo, but not the sky controller alone . Pros : Excellent image stability , easy setup , light easy to carry cons: easy lost of connection , poor Parrots availability of the sky controller .
Mar 25, 2015, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciruplas
I received a Bebop drone as a gift on january . My impression : its a very interesting piece of technology that is not reliable,(it will probably improve with each new firmware update ) when using my second generation iPad . The true range is not more than 10 meters and you lose connection and control at larger distances . I 've been trying to buy a sky controller , its probable the best way to go but Parrot site sends you to Amazon's, Apple and other stores were you can only buy the combo, but not the sky controller alone . Pros : Excellent image stability , easy setup , light easy to carry cons: easy lost of connection , poor Parrots availability of the sky controller .
Sorry to say, as far as I know Parrot only sells the skycontroller as a bundle with the drone.
Mar 25, 2015, 05:23 AM
To my point, Bebop drone is overpriced....
Mar 25, 2015, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0ma
To my point, Bebop drone is overpriced....
Everything unique is overpriced.

There is no other copter out there with digital stabilization for camera like on Bebop

I'm afraid chinese clones company may have hard time to clone the Bebop digital camera ... still I wish somebody will make a stand alone stabilized camera under 75g ... I think parrot should think of selling the camera only ... Bebop as a quadcopter is not a state of art
Mar 26, 2015, 12:11 AM
"Just in case"...get it? ;-)
(subscribed)
Mar 26, 2015, 01:59 PM
Will someone comment around their experience controlling the Bebop with an iPad or a iPhone? For me its completely unreliable…
Ciruplas

Quick Reply