Apr 01, 2004, 11:00 PM
Relearning how to crash.....
Thread OP

Forget exploding Lipo's my covering iron went nuts and melted down.

My 1.5 year old Coverite Century 21 computer controlled iron
went nuts while I was finishing up my SA Groove.

I picked it up after not using it for 10 minutes or so and went
to remove a wrinkle and poof it melted the covering.

Then the iron head started to melt off the end of the mount. It litteraly was falling off.

I shut it down but it will no longer maintain temp anywhere accurately.

I only had it set at 300deg.

What a bummer.

Does anyone know who manufactures these irons and how they can be contacted?

See in the pic where the head mount has melted.
Last edited by The Other Dave; Apr 01, 2004 at 11:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2004, 11:00 PM
Thread OP
Another pic
Apr 01, 2004, 11:19 PM
Señor Meember
This is why I never apply shrink covering unattended! I also do my covering inside a Binks fire safe sitting in the middle of a childs wading pool with a bucket of sand perched over my head in case something go horribly wrong.
Apr 01, 2004, 11:31 PM
Thread OP
Mario,

Does your hair catch on fire while you are covering?

Or should the bucket of sand be perched over your iron.

How do you apply covering unattended oh I get it you need an assistant

Oh and you forgot the pool should be filled with salt water
or (if your assitant is wearing a bikini) jello.

I found the warranty information only 1 year.

Double bummer. Anyone want iron parts.
Last edited by The Other Dave; Apr 01, 2004 at 11:34 PM.
Apr 01, 2004, 11:35 PM
The bucket is actually used to cover your head so you don't see the smoldering mess it leaves. Remeber, if you don't see it...it doesn't exist.
Apr 02, 2004, 02:10 PM
Dismembered Member...
TOD: had the same thing happen to me witha soldering iron - the guts literally melted their way out of the handle. It was a cheapo iron, so it served me right (I went out and bought a Weller™ iron after that). The only problem was trying to explain to the boss why the wiring didn't get done..........

Brad

P.S. I just do my covering on a large concrete floor. Wading pools are for kiddies - I use welding gloves and a welding helmet. (that probably explains my lousy covering jobs.....)
Apr 02, 2004, 02:27 PM

Re: Forget exploding Lipo's my covering iron went nuts and melted down.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Other Dave
My 1.5 year old Coverite Century 21 computer controlled iron...
Does anyone know who manufactures these irons and how they can be contacted?
With this vintage, I belive Great Pains, errr great planes, are the ones you need to talk w/

I have one of the orginal ones when Coverite had them. Works GREAT. Love it. As I use only Ultracote now, I got another from my LHS. First one had a 220V plug eventhough the box was marked 110V. Yea I found out after I got home...
So I take it back. LHS gives me a new one. Check plug... It's 110V. Take it home.... Stone cold dead.

Take it back. Get a new one. 110V plug. Test at shop. Works. YEA!!!

After one use the little screw that hold the handel on falls out. Replace with new screw. THis was about 2 years ago. The whole thing is really loose, where the original one I have is still solid and workign great. Also noticed on the new one, the temp markings are about 50 degrees off according to a bi-metal covering iron thermometr I have. The origial is spot on....

Did some checking... Apparently Great Pains bought out Coverite too

Is it me, or does everything Great Pains touch, turn to junk??? Don't even get me started on Monocote
Apr 02, 2004, 07:23 PM
Missileer Extraordinaire

Another thing....

I had one of these and it had an odd failure. I laid it down on the metal portion of my table saw while cutting some more Ultracote and happened to hear a little "TINK" as I put it down. When I picked it up, it was stone cold. Evidently the grounded table saw bed contacted the shoe and it fried the electronics. So I went back to a old low tech Royal iron from a ways back....

later,
Mel D.
Apr 02, 2004, 07:55 PM
I had the same iron do the same thing. The LHS stopped carrying it as it was a couple years old a years ago, so I bought the H9 version. I cover ALOT, and have gone through three more by them melting down when they get old, but the beauty is that with its lifetime warranty, I send it back in with its box and they send me a new one. I'd recommend the H9 Ultra Iron.
Apr 02, 2004, 08:44 PM
Old Timer
I also cover a lot and have gone through at least four, the last replacement had the one year warranty and failed shortly after that. I loved the iron when it worked but cannot aford to be buying one every year. Eut

Quick Reply