Aug 21, 2019, 10:53 AM
Avionics tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerdave
I have velcro mounted most of mine but directly to the airframe with no ill advisements but you may run into trouble if the battery can wiggle at all.
Ok Dave, looks like I can slide the battery back and then mount it with double stick tape between the battery and the motor. I'll have to make up some short servo extensions but that's no biggie. I'd like a neat installation. Looks like this lemon stab is a plus model. I didn't think it was. I'll probably leave the plus features off until I get familiar with it.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 01:14 PM
I can fix that!
Being between the motor, and battery, is like being between the rock, and a hard place, as far as setting up a signal blocking situation is concerned.
I hope you can get your antenna (s) as far away from those beasts, as possible.
Did you get the version with 2 (diversity) antennas?
Aug 21, 2019, 01:35 PM
Avionics tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.wagner
Being between the motor, and battery, is like being between the rock, and a hard place, as far as setting up a signal blocking situation is concerned.

I hope you can get your antenna (s) as far away from those beasts, as possible.

Did you get the version with 2 (diversity) antennas?
On order.

I currently have the basic plus model w/o sattelite and the single 1" antenna. There's a couple of inches between the unit and the motor. The rear is butted up against the battery however all the servo wires are tucked and routed away.

Had no problems with a Frsky D8R-II plus with diversity antennas actually sitting on the battery which was a sloppy and loose installation. So not anticipating problems with a neatly installed Lemon.

But my question was about the gyro section and not the receiver.

Have subscribed to the dedicated plus thread as well as printed out the "essential instructions".
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 21, 2019 at 02:49 PM.
Aug 21, 2019, 09:52 PM
65 years of RC flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52Sabre
Ok Dave, looks like I can slide the battery back and then mount it with double stick tape between the battery and the motor. I'll have to make up some short servo extensions but that's no biggie. I'd like a neat installation. Looks like this lemon stab is a plus model. I didn't think it was. I'll probably leave the plus features off until I get familiar with it.
As far as mounting solidly, the use of PROPER double-sided tape (the little patch that comes with it or equivalent) direct to the airframe is the most certain, followed by THIN Velcro covering the whole base. Attaching it to the battery is not a good idea,, especially since it entails removal after every flight.

Not sure what you mean by “leave the plus features off”.
Aug 21, 2019, 10:16 PM
Avionics tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66
As far as mounting solidly, the use of PROPER double-sided tape (the little patch that comes with it or equivalent) direct to the airframe is the most certain, followed by THIN Velcro covering the whole base. Attaching it to the battery is not a good idea,, especially since it entails removal after every flight.

Not sure what you mean by “leave the plus features off”.
Never mind. Using the non plus model w/ satellite instead. Same as I did a few years before with Dynam Catalina. And no, I'm not sticking it on the battery. I said I have a FrSky rcvr sitting on it. But I'm certainly not going to stick a gyro on one. Been using stand alone v1 orange stabs ever since they came out with other planes.

sent from HTC M9 via tapatalk
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 21, 2019 at 10:22 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 01:30 PM
Avionics tech
But the question remains. Am I ok mounting this a few inches ahead of the CG?
Aug 22, 2019, 02:03 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Quote:
But the question remains. Am I ok mounting this a few inches ahead of the CG?
Yes.
Aug 22, 2019, 02:19 PM
Avionics tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjets
Yes.
Ok thanks. I'm looking at approx. 5.5" ahead of the CG. Any problems?
Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 22, 2019 at 02:33 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 02:56 PM
I can fix that!
Quote:
Ok thanks. I'm looking at approx. 5.5" ahead of the CG. Any problems?
If you're using the plain ole stab, then no. The rate of rotation around the three axis that monitors is the same whether it is on the CG, or your wingtip.
Aug 22, 2019, 03:02 PM
Avionics tech
Quote:
If you're using the plain ole stab, then no. The rate of rotation around the three axis that monitors is the same whether it is on the CG, or your wingtip.
Thanks But . . I would think the further away from the CG in the fuselage the more sensitive the pitch would be. Correct? And if so, the pitch gain should be tweaked down a tad?

Last edited by 52Sabre; Aug 22, 2019 at 03:43 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 03:55 PM
What Goes Up...Must Come Down
Quote:
Thanks But . . I would think the further away from the CG in the fuselage the more sensitive the pitch would be. Correct? And if so, the pitch gain should be tweaked down a tad?

I would start out w/ gains set at 10 o'clock and adjust each from there ... has a lot to do with mechanical setup of servos and control rods as well as the flight control surfaces...less of an effect coming from placement from what I have experienced.
Aug 22, 2019, 04:45 PM
BMFA 190658
The Stabiliser can be mounted anywhere so long as it is mounted to a fixed structure.

Yes, out on the wing tip is fine so long as the wings don’t flex.

It is important that the unit is aligned properly though.
Aug 22, 2019, 05:30 PM
I can fix that!
Quote:

If the the stab measured how far through space it moved when the plane pitches, that would be true, but the stab is a 3 axis gyro, and it only measures how many degrees the plane pitched, or yawed, or rolled. The number of degrees of rotation is the same across the entire airframe, assuming a relatively stiff structure.
Now if you ask if you can mount it on its side...that's a whole new can of worms.
Aug 22, 2019, 05:50 PM
BMFA 190658
Great for knife edge flight apparently
Aug 23, 2019, 04:41 AM
Fly it like you're in it
Quote:
If the the stab measured how far through space it moved when the plane pitches, that would be true, but the stab is a 3 axis gyro, and it only measures how many degrees the plane pitched, or yawed, or rolled. The number of degrees of rotation is the same across the entire airframe, assuming a relatively stiff structure.
Now if you ask if you can mount it on its side...that's a whole new can of worms.
Doug, I believe it is acceleration that is detected, not geometry.

Quick Reply