This thread is privately moderated by Red.Sneakers, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 10, 2014, 06:07 PM
2016 The Year for Air Shows
Discussion

umx Radian ~ Mods & more ...

I love my umx Radian aka Baby Radian. Have learned a lot about how the AS3X works and programming challenges. Here is a series of links to forum contributions by others & myself.
umx Radian ground school, click here

click on picture to view larger
Name: Baby Radian.jpg
Views: 251
Size: 181.1 KB
Description: Baby Radian Name: Shark.jpg
Views: 276
Size: 158.0 KB
Description: Shark Name: Ribbon & Mag.jpg
Views: 347
Size: 134.8 KB
Description: Ribbon to remove wing & magnet to secure screws

~ Maiden flight, click here

~ My changed AS3X Settings, click here

~ UMX Radian Dx9 Settings, click here

~ UMX Radian Hanger Mod, click here

~ Sky Sheen reflective leading edge tape, click here

~ Removing the decals with naphtha, click here

~ Adding your own decals, click here

~ AS3X Advanced Programming & Settings, click here

~ UMX Radian Porpoising, click here

~ Too windy to fly, click here

~ Replacement Screws, click here

~ Securing the prop pins, click here

~ Removing the Wings from the Box, click here

~ Flying Colors, click here

~ Flying RC planes in the wind, click here

~ AS3X Oscillation / Porpoise ?, click here

~ Testing the CG, click here

~ Does the Spektrum USB-Interface / AS3X Programmer Work or Not?, click here

~ Several simple mods to improve the Radian as camera platform, click here

~ Using Win8+ Workaround, click here

~ Reduce the Servo Travel, click here

~ Sooner or Later, It Happens, click here

~ Radian UMX Magnetic wing mod - in pictures, click here

~ Cut through all the noise in a forum, click here

~ Opening the Fuselage, click here

~ Simple mod to secure the battery, click here

~ E-Flite Ultra Micro Radian New Product Forum, click here

~ UMX Radian manual, click here

Update: Baby Radian retired on August 3, 2014 after 18+ hours of flight time or 73 flights (batteries)

Last edited by Red.Sneakers; Jul 13, 2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: update
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2014, 02:54 PM
Slow is the go!
Hi George,

Thanks for that I'm in for one of these pity they are so pricey
down here in Australia?!

All the best,

Peter P.
Jul 05, 2014, 12:48 PM
Aug 14, 2014, 07:38 PM
I don't understand how to change the settings on my radian or how to shut off the as3x can some one help. Was using the radio from my champ but tomorrow I will get a dx5e
Oct 16, 2014, 01:24 PM
Originally joined: May 2012
Just curious, Red... why did you "retire" your umx Radian?

... Lennie
Oct 16, 2014, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ...quietguy...
Just curious, Red... why did you "retire" your umx Radian?

... Lennie
after 18+ hours of flight time or 73 flights (batteries) [some crashes & hanger rash] the elevator froze. I decided it was cheaper & easier to just buy a new one. Many happy memories with umx RAD I. Now umx RAD II has some 'NO PUSH' livery to remind me not to bang it against objects. Working so far.

umx RAD II => https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2252514
Oct 16, 2014, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
after 18+ hours of flight time or 73 flights (batteries) [some crashes & hanger rash] the elevator froze. I decided it was cheaper & easier to just buy a new one. Many happy memories with umx RAD I. Now umx RAD II has some 'NO PUSH' livery to remind me not to bang it against objects. Working so far.

umx RAD II => https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2252514
Ahhhhh... understand, thanks.

I just ordered one this afternoon (along with a new DX6) - looking forward to flying it!

Your "blog" was Very helpful, thank you.
Oct 16, 2014, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Ahhhhh... understand, thanks.

I just ordered one this afternoon (along with a new DX6) - looking forward to flying it!

Your "blog" was Very helpful, thank you.
Lennie,

You will enjoy both. The umx Rad is the only plane I have taken out of the box, did a quick pre-flight and flown with a smile. I do have to note two comments:

Make sure you read the blog item "~ Activating The Gyro - Read This First, click here ~" before you go fly & remember, it is a very delicate aero frame, so be gentle, patient & soft with it.

Wish you a high Fun Factor. I'll await your maiden flight review. Any questions, just let me know.

George
Oct 16, 2014, 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Sneakers
Lennie,

You will enjoy both. The umx Rad is the only plane I have taken out of the box, did a quick pre-flight and flown with a smile. I do have to note two comments:

Make sure you read the blog item "~ Activating The Gyro - Read This First, click here ~" before you go fly & remember, it is a very delicate aero frame, so be gentle, patient & soft with it.

Wish you a high Fun Factor. I'll await your maiden flight review. Any questions, just let me know.

George
Thanks, George, appreciated.

Actually, I went through all items in your list earlier this afternoon - very informative, helpful.

Though it's of little import, but I've had a couple planes with AS3X... and know, first to manually trim Before activating the stabilization, and that to activate, pulse the throttle and leave it sit still for about 10 seconds or so.

Reading through this Thread still, but I know you are correct regards handling the little aircraft carefully.

I hope you're enjoying your Radian II... keep us updated on your flights.

Again, thanks.

... Lennie
Oct 16, 2014, 05:44 PM
Lennie,

One last thing not mentioned too often, if the umx Rad starts to porpoise while gliding, give it a touch of down elevator (& release) to gain a little speed, if it continues to porpoise, relax, land it & move the battery back a little. Usually will fix it. If this fails after two attempts, call me. You may experience this some days & others not. All I know is it works, usually.

George
Oct 16, 2014, 06:07 PM
Last edited by ...quietguy...; Apr 04, 2015 at 05:39 PM.
Oct 16, 2014, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Thanks my friend..! And noted

PS - give me a heads up when your vid's ready.

... Lennie
If you missed it on the Sport Cub forum, here it is => https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2266620
Oct 16, 2014, 09:50 PM
Last edited by ...quietguy...; Apr 04, 2015 at 05:39 PM.
Apr 04, 2015, 05:36 PM
I saw one flying today and I'm thinking of picking up a Radian, however, I'd really prefer ailerons. Has anyone tried to modify one with ailerons? I didn't get a chance to see inside of the fuselage by the wing. Do you think there might be enough room for a sub micro servo to run ailerons? I'm thinking of inboard ailerons (where the flaps would normally go). Does anyone have a picture they can post of the wing and fuselage wing bay?

I always like to put a little personal modifications on me RC Planes....

Thoughts yea or nea.
Apr 04, 2015, 07:18 PM
Go to the forum => https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2089760 & select Thread Tools Show Attachments in this Thread (upper right hand area) to see the pictures that have been posted.

Personally, this is a glider that turns very well with the rudder. Have not seem anyone put in ailerons, even on the larger Radian, flaps yes. I would prefer to add the weight of a larger 220 battery than extra servos. I suspect due to the dihedral, not sure where you would put ailerons as the wing tips are curved up.