Andy's 180 Neo - RC Groups
May 10, 2014, 03:53 PM
Lipoly Killer
Discussion

Andy's 180 Neo

Anybody take a look at Andy Kunz's new micro pattern ship, the Neo 180. It's in the new FM and it's a beautiful design looking like a Tiporare. I ordered the plans, the short kit from Manzano plus the cowl and canopy from Park Flyer Plastics.
Andy uses the micro radio from Horizon(what else, he works for them!).
Last edited by Frank Hurd; May 10, 2014 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2014, 08:56 AM
There's a video link on my website to Michael Ramsey flying his in a really stiff wind. If I didn't tell you that, you'd never guess. www.andykunz.us

Andy
May 12, 2014, 09:46 AM
Lipoly Killer

Like Wow!

Thanks, Andy, for posting that link! Not only did the Neo not get affected by the wind but it hauls! Plenty of vertical! I'm really tickled that I ordered the stuff to built it!
Park Flyer has already shipped the canopy and the cowl. Monzano says the short kit will ship no later than Tuesday.
Andy, do you think the AS3X system is mandatory to fly the Neo? I have the 6400 radio out of my Beast.
Frank
May 12, 2014, 10:01 AM
Not mandatory. It definitely helps smooth things out, especially in wind. Indoors and calm conditions you'll be fine. Michael saved a lot of weight by making holes as shown, enough that he was able eventually to put the battery right over the wing. That improved the handling too.

I'll let him know about this thread and see if he has more to contribute. The one caption says we recommend the full-span ailerons - definitely follow that suggestion.

Andy
May 12, 2014, 10:19 AM
Thank you Frank for starting this thread.

I'd like to try the Neo without AS3X just to see. Flight performance of my Neo 180 very much reminds me of the Dirty Birdy 60 I flew for many years. The board I'm using came out of a Beast 3D with AS3X and I haven't changed the settings. I think the 3000Kv motor is mandatory for vertical performance. I'm using the stock propeller from the Beast 3D too. I couldn't get a respectable snap until the battery was located over the wing. My ailerons are three outboard rib-bays long and roll performance is very harmonic with the elevator performance. All servos are set to 100%, Expo isn't necessary on anything and I haven't found a need for dual rates. My ready-to-fly weight is 94 grams. The only thing I might do differently on the second Neo 180 is move the elevator hinge line forward 1/4 inch so that the elevator area is greater and build the ailerons 4 rib-bays long. Then the control throw could be reduced.

Oh, one more thing. The Neo 180 will torque roll.
Last edited by Michael R.; May 12, 2014 at 11:28 AM.
May 12, 2014, 11:46 AM
Lipoly Killer

Hi,Mike!

Very nice flying! My Beast was a non-AS3X and I can't tell if the motor is a 3000kv. or not. Be my luck that is not. I won't be flying indoors as we don't have anything big enough, especially after seeing how you flew the Neo. I will need some 30C batteries.
Frank
May 12, 2014, 11:53 AM
The old Beast was 2300kV motor. The Stryker motor was the 3000kV one. This is the motor you want:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...kv-EFLUM180BLB

Andy
May 12, 2014, 12:10 PM
Thank you for the compliment.

I did fly both Andy's Neo and mine here at the Amory at the U of I. It used up space fast, just like pattern ships did in the old days. LOL

I love how this model does a stall turn—makes me look good.

Which is your favorite landing gear; the trike or the tail dragger?
May 12, 2014, 02:24 PM
Nice work fellas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R.

Which is your favorite landing gear; the trike or the tail dragger?
BTW, there is no favorite LG. Tipo fuses require trike landing gear.

'nough said.

David
May 12, 2014, 02:32 PM
I think Michael skipped over that one sentence in my intro, where I said something about the trike gear being for "those who know landings are supposed to be a scored maneuver."

Andy
May 12, 2014, 03:14 PM
Lipoly Killer

Landing gear

Well, Mike, I tend to agree with David-Old pattern ships use trike gear! But, our grass strip would never allow wheels that small, so, I'm going gear-less! I'll save weight and look like my gear is up. After watching you flying the Neo, I think that I've found the perfect micro pattern ship. Now, I'm not saying that I can fly like that but,at least, I can try.
I recently bought an old Ace Micropro 8000 single stick tx and converted it to 2.4. I'll use a trainer to re-familiarize myself with flying SS. Since I used a frsky module, I'll try using their micro rx and some 2.5 oz. servos. I still fly JR but I want to try SS in order to use the rudder more.
Frank
May 12, 2014, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd
But, our grass strip would never allow wheels that small ...
You can take off this little guy from a starting bench in the pits

Andy
May 12, 2014, 07:31 PM
Gearless is a great way to go! I haven't popped my gear off to fly that way yet. I like both LG types and Andy's castering nose wheel is actually very steerable. You can't lose either way.
May 13, 2014, 10:35 AM
Lipoly Killer

Equipment

After discussing this with Andy, he pointed out that the frsky option just would weigh too much and be a pain to install in the Neo. So..... I pulled the trigger on a new AS3X rx, 3 200mah batteries, a 3000kv motor and a Spectrum module to use in place of my frsky module. No excuses now! Jeez, I forgot to order props and the polecat spinner! Better wait until my credit card cools down!
May 13, 2014, 11:06 AM
You won't regret it.

Don't forget the two 6-inch extensions for those aileron servos. The motor doesn't come with a propeller hub but the one on your Beast motor will do the job.

What will you use for covering?