May 09, 2014, 02:54 PM
3D Toy Designer
Thread OP
Build Log

*** COMPLETED *** CLM Pro, ... Trotter

Well, ... it seems this lil bird is elusive to the internet and trying to find anything on her comes up pretty much short of anything. There is a partial build in the sailplane talk, but it to has an abrupt end.

I guess I'll have to toss a build thread up and hopefully, this will be a good spot for information on the build.

As we all know, some planes come with detailed instructions and some don't, ... well this one doesn't so I would call this a builders kit. I sent an inquiry to how the wing was built and if there are any pictures of the process so I could evaluate if i wanted to take the challenge or not as I have not done a build using a molded carbon D-box or capped the ribs with carbon before. I have been wanting to scratch build an Ava Pro TD ship but was unsure of the process, so I will use the Trotter to bridge the gap.

The pictures Matija sent me in a .rar file, had the plan and lots of build pictures with captions describing the process of building the wing. Only one thing to say, ... A lot easier than I thought.

If any of you are interested in this lil gem, PM me your email addy and I'll email you the .rar file so you can see if it's the plane for you.

I just received the kit on Wednesday 5-7-14. Took about a week to get here from Croatia. These pictures are of the box opening.I want to color the ribs and use a clear film for covering, much like the photo of the existing model in the .rar file. Other than that, ... it's a straight forward build.

One thing I must note, ... I'm a real stickler for packaging and if you ever bought anything from me, you know dang well, ... I spend an awful long time packing something. I still remember the old Samsonite commercials with the gorilla a in the cage tossing a suitcase around. THAT is who I make my packages for, ...

The fuselage pieces and the plans came inside a piece of hot wired foam, ... this is the slickest pack job I have seen. A+!

I'm not going to race to the finish line on this as I have 6 other projects chugging along, but this one will probably be finished within a month so please be patient.

Any and all comments are welcome, ... good or bad as long as they are constructive.

Sorry, some of the pictures are not clearer, ... Cell phone pics, ...

Regards
Bill
Last edited by MicroRotors; Jul 11, 2014 at 09:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2014, 01:50 AM
3D Toy Designer
Thread OP
Masked off the exposed rib faces and colored them florescent orange. Far brighter than the picture shows. Should be pretty visible.
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
May 11, 2014, 12:09 PM
Flying Dutchman!
Very nice!
May 11, 2014, 12:32 PM
Certifiable User
Subbed
May 11, 2014, 12:49 PM
Looks great Bill. I might purchase a kit this weekend, but just cannot decide if this is the right ship to build. Really like the construction, but might wait to see if a 2 meter version comes out.

How did you color the balsa?

Brian (pacing endlessly on the edge of the pool)
May 11, 2014, 02:21 PM
3D Toy Designer
Thread OP
Thanks Guy's, ...

Brian, ...

Just pull the lever, it's a nice kit.

I myself am building this for a few reasons, ...

A) I would like a nice hand hand-launch glider.
B) I like the fact that it's not your usual build up woody.
C) This is a build style I have not tried before and it interest me a lot.

I can already tell that I'm going to want to investigate some time in how to make molded D-Box parts for other woody builds.

The paint I used was Rust-oleum, ... Florescent Orange. Care must be taken not to use to much as it will add weight and could possibly warp your wood it you saturate it with to much solvent.

I had no issues but there is a slight penalty in weight. All the testing I did by spraying and weighing balsa-wood before and after, it very marginal, but if care is not taken, ... it's easy to pack on the weight.

Bill
May 11, 2014, 02:33 PM
Same reasons for wanting the kit. Always liked the look of the carbon capped balsa with translucent coverings, and now can actually afford one, although this is not a larger thermal ship. Should be fun with a small hi-start also.
May 11, 2014, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroRotors
Thanks Guy's, ...

Brian, ...

Just pull the lever, it's a nice kit.

I myself am building this for a few reasons, ...

A) I would like a nice hand hand-launch glider.
B) I like the fact that it's not your usual build up woody.
C) This is a build style I have not tried before and it interest me a lot.

I can already tell that I'm going to want to investigate some time in how to make molded D-Box parts for other woody builds.

The paint I used was Rust-oleum, ... Florescent Orange. Care must be taken not to use to much as it will add weight and could possibly warp your wood it you saturate it with to much solvent.

I had no issues but there is a slight penalty in weight. All the testing I did by spraying and weighing balsa-wood before and after, it very marginal, but if care is not taken, ... it's easy to pack on the weight.

Bill
easy way to eliminate the extra paint weight - seal the balsa with nitrate dope - let it gas off and sand it - seals the timber and paint wont soak in.
May 11, 2014, 02:39 PM
3D Toy Designer
Thread OP
A better look at the paint after it has thoroughly dried. Also shown is an example on painting only the exposed side of the ribs. I studied the plan and masked off the leading edge ribs that get inserted into the D-Box. They are not seen and would have only resulted in more weight if they had been painted. Also masked are panel joiner ribs.

Notice the same sheet but flipped.

Bill
May 11, 2014, 02:43 PM
3D Toy Designer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby
easy way to eliminate the extra paint weight - seal the balsa with nitrate dope - let it gas off and sand it - seals the timber and paint wont soak in.
I had thought about sealing the wood, but the sealer would be the same as extra paint, and even trade. So I decided to just gave it two light coats and it's bright and lite.
May 11, 2014, 02:47 PM
dope weighs next to nothing - once it gases - paint is a lot heavier due to the solids. but anyway...... looking forward to seeing the build
May 12, 2014, 12:59 PM
That was definitely not the easy button but it's a done deal. Trotter on the way!
May 12, 2014, 01:03 PM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
Nice and to see a build. Hopefully with it's completion as pleasure in flight.

Ya, tough button, as I have had me DumbBear thumb hovering for a while. Just the cost thang
May 12, 2014, 01:17 PM
3D Toy Designer
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman70
That was definitely not the easy button but it's a done deal. Trotter on the way!
Sweet!, ... I'm not alone, ...

The money wasnt an issue only because I look at it in spending on an education. As I stated previously, I have not done a build like this and am exited to do so, so to me, ... it was a $200 building class, a skill set which will go a LONG WAY down the road with me.

Bill
May 12, 2014, 02:12 PM
I figured it was a reasonably priced kit if you have a few servos and some covering laying around. And like your thinking Bill, a lesson in the details of this build. Would like to scratch build an Ava type sailplane some day. Hell, I've hardly completed a woody build, so this should get interesting.

Mine will not be here for a couple of weeks so you're solo for the time being. CLM Pro is producing another lot now.

Quick Reply