This thread is privately moderated by quitcherbitchen, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 08, 2014, 08:45 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Build Log

B-17 1875mm 72" Bomber Bomb Bay

Picked one of these V1 up from General Hobby. They are super close to were I work. They were really easy to deal with and I picked up so no shipping. They have tons of inventory. All version 1s. I modified the center section and put in a bomb bay to fit 5 Adam Bombs(explosive simulating bombs)http://dropadambomb.com/ . I picked the brain of a fellow RC Groups member Stacker for how he did his bomb bay. My bombs are slightly bigger so I had to do a little more cutting then he did and engineer enough room for all the electronics too. I put in some 40 oz torque HS 81 s to get the load to double. 18oz proved not to be up to the job. Now it fits five Adam Bombs. Bomb runs are a real blast (pun intended), but really that's what this plane is all about. Never ceases to please the crowds. Check some of the videos out in the comments.
Also, this plane has been an ambassador to the past. I was first contacted by Tom Plackis who's father Nicholas Plackis was the bombardier on the original Kwitcherbitchen and was given some amazing personal pictures and more documentation of the original plane. Later, Adam Drain from the Liberty Foundation and 390th group historian found this blog and contacted me about any knowledge that would help them find veterans of the plane, as the son of the pilot had contacted them. I gave them Tom's number and they gave me more incredible photos of the original plane. Who could imagine my little plane being the conduit of connection for everyone interested or had a connection to the original Kwitcherbitchen/Hellion B-17.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Jan 11, 2018 at 08:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2014, 10:47 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Took a few more reference shots. I decided to take out the navigation lights. The use really heavy wire and the LED are flash style. As you can see each light wiring harness is worth 12 grams. That's equivalent to a servo in weight. Should help offset some of my mods which will be a bomb bay and some onboard camera or targeting FPV system. I own two and the Eagle tree unit is heavy. I have a lighter weight one, but it is still close to 100 grams. Well I just saved 24 grams. I also, notice some differences in the ESCs. Not all had the same build. Examples are in the pictures.
Latest blog entry: HK B-17 landing gear mod
May 17, 2014, 09:38 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Using a box cutting blade I carefully cut out the center section of the wing. I followed the lines that I drew in the top of the wing and the lines molded in the bottom. I did this differently from Stacker. I cut the wings before they were glued together. This was very helpful. My cuts were almost perfect and it is easy manipulate the wing not being 6' long, just 3'.
May 22, 2014, 09:24 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Finished the carbon spars and opened up the fuselage. Had to shave a reinforcement inside the fuselage, but it seem like it didn't effect anything. I can always glass the inside.
May 22, 2014, 05:57 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Fuselage cut out. Wing cut out. This thing is really large. Room for all sorts of payloads.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; May 24, 2014 at 02:08 PM.
Jun 03, 2014, 09:45 AM
Bomb bay looks great!

Cheers--Stacker
Jun 03, 2014, 10:05 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Thank you and thanks for all your help Stacker.
Jun 20, 2014, 09:31 AM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Converting her to the 571 SQ 390thBG. She will be rechristened Kwitcherbitchen which was FC-S 43-38375 of the 571 st Squadron. 390th is one of my favorite groups. Too bad their paint jobs weren't that colorful. The green squadron ban is probably not a visible in the air as the yellow, but it is the correct color for the 571. Cal Worthington a local car dealer here in So Cal was a fixture of my childhood, flew 29 missions for the 390th in the 568. I was going to make the plane his, but couldn't pass up the chance to make Kwitcherbitchen.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Jun 21, 2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: add pictures
Feb 16, 2015, 09:05 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
Finally got around to upgrading the bomb bay servos from cheap 9 gram 18oz power to HS -81 which can hold 42oz. Hopefully now I can increase my payload so it won't overwhelm the servos like before. I use to only get three Adam Bombs inside even though there is room for 5.
Last edited by quitcherbitchen; Dec 14, 2016 at 05:33 PM.
Aug 01, 2015, 11:01 PM
More Nukes, Less Kooks
Thread OP
A little footage of the Scale Fly In at Sepulveda Basin
Fun fly Sepulveda Hidef (6 min 49 sec)
Oct 03, 2015, 05:59 PM
Bomber Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen
A little footage of the Scale Fly In at Sepulveda Basinhttps://youtu.be/7t2gDVot3Pw
Excellent, Adam! That looks like so much fun. I would love to fly my B-17 there. I am soon to start the build of my second B-17. I am going to incorporate your bomb bay mod in that one. I had bought an extra fuselage and I have slowly been converting it to a G model also. Looks like we used pretty much the same technique.

Bob
Latest blog entry: The XB-38 s/n 41-2401

Quick Reply