This thread is privately moderated by porcia83, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 08, 2014, 07:48 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

The loss of a club member and friend

I guess I'm at an age when the diagnosis of serious illness, or the death of family, friends, and acquaintances will start to be more common. I don't like it.

Our club lost one of it's oldest and most active members after a recent illness slowed him down some. Not surprisingly, he refused to go quietly, and fought the inevitable end with his standard wit and bravado.

Loreto "Lorry" D'Alesandris was 88 years young. His wife passed away in 2011 and he is survived by his two daughters and their respective families. His constant companion, confidante, and best friend Chy is still waiting for him at his favorite chair, eager to have her head scratched and get a biscuit.

Lorry was a veteran of WW II and the Korean War (Navy). After serving his country he came home and attended the University of Connecticut, earning a Bachelor of Science, and then continuing on to get his Masterís Degrees in Business Administration. Not content, he continued his education specializing in mechanical drafting, design, and process engineering. He worked as an industrial engineer for many years at Veeder-Root, Inc. Hartford, CT, and LightoLier, Co. in Norwich, CT. He is the holder of many patents, and continued to tinker away and find news ways to make things work.

In addition to building static models, as well as flying model aircraft, Lorry was a scale pilot. His favorite plane was the J3 Cub. He was an avid outdoors man and loved to hunt, fish, and sail. He loved working with his hands, and was also a member of Central Connecticut Woodturners Club.

After retiring, he was an active volunteer tax examiner at the Elmwood Senior Community Center in West Hartford for over 15 years.

Lorry loved to come to the field and fly his planes, and he flew them all at one time or another. No matter the size, type, or kind, he flew them. I was lucky enough to get one of his older Lazy B planes after he saw me eyeballing it and saying how interesting it was. After taking off that noisy nitro motor, it surfed the clouds in the silent service. He was a generous guy with his things, and his time.

In the recent years, we convinced him to go electric with his remaining favorite planes, his Kadets. It was safer choice for him, and he went all in. Guys at the field were always ready to give him a hand, yet another great reason to belong to a club. His daughter Dianne was nice enough to drive him to the field, and to our monthly meetings when he was unable to do so himself. We're trying to recruit her for flying duties!

Lorry attended almost all of our Frozen Finger Fly Ins, our annual exercise in fun (or stupidity), flying bright and early on the morning of January 1st...wind, snow, sleet be damned. He always showed up with a pot of his famous chili, soon to be devoured by the members desperate for any kind of heat. His kitchen had every cooking gadget and do dad out there, and he used them all. No doubt he is sitting at a table up there grousing about the quality of the "gravy" on his pasta...his was far superior for sure. All you had to do was ask him, he'd let you know, then share his recipe.

Our club will be purchasing a memorial brick through the AMA to honor his memory. We'll miss him.
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2014, 08:36 PM
D.G.B.
Tom, your the best!!!!
May 08, 2014, 09:05 PM
3D Junkie
Sorry for your loss I recently lost my buddy Nick Neville. Check him out Nicksbbq on here.
May 08, 2014, 09:22 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words, and for pointing me to your friend. I just went through his blog, that was great. Loved seeing all the different members of his family that were involved in this great hobby.
May 09, 2014, 06:20 AM
3D Junkie
He definitely was one to share he got me involved. Sounds like Lorry was a very neat guy.
Last edited by ZacFlyer; May 09, 2014 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply