Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 28, 2014, 07:22 AM
Brighto?
I once owned a hull built by Charlie Obersheimer from Buffalo, NY. This was a big boat, displacing @ 50 lbs. with close to 2500 sq. inches. It was a good all around boat and could easily handle 15 - 20 mph winds. Needless to say, you don't try to catch this beast on a downwind run without injuring yourself. Someone termed it a "Nantucket sleighride".
Last edited by Mike Denest; May 28, 2014 at 09:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2014, 08:05 AM
Although - as mentioned I don't own one of these....

It's lovely to see that this has brought out the boats it has.

How many A-class yachts are there?
Probably thousands
May 28, 2014, 09:03 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater

How many A-class yachts are there?
Probably thousands
I don't believe the numbers to be that high. Since wood is the main ingredient in the vintage A's, many have been lost to time and nature, the trashman, museums or private collections. The current crop of glass speed machines have gained visibility in the last few years. Most of the boats in the USA are of the vintage variety that have been preserved and are still sailing. There has been very little development work here in contrast to the work in the UK.
May 28, 2014, 12:40 PM
Where can I find the A class rules? Wondering if we can modify one of our 2M ACC OD's to rate as an "A".
May 28, 2014, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Fries
Where can I find the A class rules? Wondering if we can modify one of our 2M ACC OD's to rate as an "A".
http://www.radiosailing.org/main/documents/a.htm

The A rule is complex. It strikes a balance between sail area, waterline length and weight. More waterline = less sail area. More weight = more sail area.

The main challenge will be the draft limitation. To keep stability, you will need to add weight to a short fin. The rules provides for a max depth based on waterline length - go beyond it and the penalty is excessive.

JOhn
Last edited by hiljoball; May 28, 2014 at 01:53 PM.
May 28, 2014, 05:55 PM

do you know ?

something about this sail-foil? (Nr 70)
It looks very nice. Where can we get it?

Best Matthias
Last edited by grafwiloff; May 29, 2014 at 03:01 AM.
May 28, 2014, 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp.
Sail winch?
Would 2 x HS-785HB Hitec Sailwinch's one on the jib and the other for the main work or is there just too much sail area for the winch to work efficiently.
Have a great day
gp
Something like this?
I have sailed this for some time and it works fine, 2 x Hitec winches, one for each sail. They are slower than RMGs but no problem once you are used to them. They do the job in all sorts of conditions.
May 29, 2014, 08:26 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin
Something like this?
I have sailed this for some time and it works fine, 2 x Hitec winches, one for each sail. They are slower than RMGs but no problem once you are used to them. They do the job in all sorts of conditions.
Thanks MrPenguin hope to have a hull to play with later in the year and I would like to try a double winch setup.2 RMGs just would not fit the budget unless some 2nd hand ones come up.
Have a great a day
May 29, 2014, 11:00 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Referencing your picture in an earlier post, it seems that your 2M has a long water line. If that's the case, you might be taking a very big hit on a sail area penalty. Maybe starting from scratch with rule in hand is the way to go.

One thing I noticed at the last A Class Nationals (Portland, OR 1996) was that the boats sailed there equated to about the size and weight of an East Coast 12 Meter (a lousy A boat, BTW. Don't even bother). The Bob Sterne Orca series, Nova 5 and a design based on the Dragon come to mind as the boat of choice in the NW.
Last edited by Mike Denest; May 29, 2014 at 08:36 PM.
May 29, 2014, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest
Referencing your picture in an earlier post, it seems that your 2M has a long water line. If that's the case, you might be taking a very big hit on a sail area penalty. Maybe starting from scratch with rule in hand is the way to go.

One thing I noticed at the last A Class Nationals (Portland, OR 1996) was that the boats sailed there equated to about the size and weight of an East Coast 12 Meter (a lousy A boat, BTW. Don't even bother). The Bob Sterne Orca series, Nova 5 and a design based on the Dragon come to mind.
Yeah could be tricky. Our waterline at rest is 1740 right now, it could be trimmed down another 100mm or so with modifications to the bow, more of an AC style double chin.
How long is the water line on the current A's? roughly.
May 29, 2014, 12:16 PM
There are interesting items in the A Class Web site

http://radioaclass.wordpress.com/interesting-articles/

Also click on the design information tab for more insights.

John
May 29, 2014, 06:23 PM
Quote:
Yeah could be tricky. Our waterline at rest is 1740 right now, it could be trimmed down another 100mm or so with modifications to the bow, more of an AC style double chin.
That 1740mm waterline will create you grief in the formula I would guess..... make sure you are measuring it in the correct conditions (in the rules I think; I am no expert here...)

My Heat Haze is 1820mm overall, waterline length is 1300mm - this is considered to be long and narrow among the A Class boats in my club.
May 30, 2014, 08:45 AM
Quote:
Our waterline at rest is 1740 right now, it could be trimmed down another 100mm or so with modifications to the bow, more of an AC style double chin.
John
The waterline length on your existing boat is far to long. Through experience converting a hull to a successful yacht for a particular class is very rare. Its better to use your energies on producing a design that fits purposefully around the class rules. I have privately emailed you on this subject.

JT
Jun 01, 2014, 05:33 AM

UK Championship Latest

Guys
Please find the latest results after Day 1 of the regatta. In light airs there has been some close racing. Follow the link: http://radioaclass.wordpress.com/latest-news/

Jun 01, 2014, 03:01 PM
Holy Moly!

This photo came from the website that John Mentions above, so full credit there.

I thought pitch-poling some other classes was Nerve-Wracking!!

Great name on this one by the way.