International A-Class yachts - Page 4 - RC Groups
May 24, 2014, 02:15 PM

Latest (UK) A-Class Designs

For are friends over seas, here are some of the latest A-Class designs that are actively sailing in the UK at the moment.

Sword - (Sails Etc)
Developed for the last World Championship in 2005. Its probably one of the oldest competitive designs sailing now.

Name: 13948112333_6ee9bd9f4f_b.jpg
Views: 124
Size: 148.1 KB
Description:

Sweet 9 - (PJ Sails).
A continued development from the original 'Sweet' design by Roger Stollery.

Name: 13924925352_fb612dc5b8_b.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 132.2 KB
Description:

Lightning - (Alan Bell)
One of many John Simpson designs taken from the same theme of his original vane A-Class.

Name: 13924954816_d4562f3df1_b.jpg
Views: 140
Size: 150.6 KB
Description:

New launch - Dave Hollom
This is the smaller / lighter version of my A-Class yacht 'Hardtack', also designed by the same guy.

Name: 13948120153_4401092a0f_b.jpg
Views: 164
Size: 150.7 KB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
May 24, 2014, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor
GP
I first saw the 'Venom' in 2005 at Kogarah Bay during the A-Class Championships, then there was a few skippers sailing them. I was competing with a 'Sweet 6' back then. Soon after, your right the 'Venom' started to feature in the UK with Dave Munro building them. In this country they were seen as something different from the other UK yachts.

In light airs the 'Venom' was then quite competitive, but as soon as there was any weight in the wind the 'Venom' would start to suffer. Fourteen years on there are few, if any 'Venoms' racing on the UK circuit now, designs here have definitely moved forward.

I hope this answers your question.
Hi John,

Trevor Binks has only just sold his Venom and was still very competitive with it until this year.
May 25, 2014, 06:50 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Quote:
Originally Posted by john m taylor
GP
I first saw the 'Venom' in 2005 at Kogarah Bay during the A-Class Championships, then there was a few skippers sailing them. I was competing with a 'Sweet 6' back then. Soon after, your right the 'Venom' started to feature in the UK with Dave Munro building them. In this country they were seen as something different from the other UK yachts.

In light airs the 'Venom' was then quite competitive, but as soon as there was any weight in the wind the 'Venom' would start to suffer. Fourteen years on there are few, if any 'Venoms' racing on the UK circuit now, designs here have definitely moved forward.

I hope this answers your question.
Thanks John and also ToniGe for chiming in.
Have a great day
May 25, 2014, 10:00 AM
Brighto?
My spread sheet is shaping up, so thanks to all who have supplied information. Now to dive a little deeper, what is available regarding plans, hulls, keels, etc. I know Sails Etc. is a good supplier but how about any others?

From the recent videos available on line, I was surprised as to the speed and performance of the current breed. I'm also pleased to see the displacements coming down. That makes a boat much easier to handle vs. the vintage heavy weights. Nothing wrong with the vintage boats, they are still A's. But if interest drops, the class stagnates. I'm impressed with the developments and visibility in the GBR and AUS.
May 25, 2014, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniGe23
Hi John,

Trevor Binks has only just sold his Venom and was still very competitive with it until this year.
ToniGe
Like I said the Venoms are few and far between these days. Trevor is a good skipper but I'm sure he would suffer on a day where there is wind and waves.

Mike
The only suppliers of Plans / Moulded Parts / Hulls are (Sails Etc).

Moulded Parts only (David Creed).

Hulls / Moulded Parts only (PJ Sails).

Hulls / Moulded Parts only (Martin Dovey or Ray Baker but they are not commercial ).

Hull Mouldings only (Alan Bell but he is not commercial).

Hull Mouldings only (Keith Partington but he is not commercial )

Can't think of anyone else.........

JT
Last edited by john m taylor; May 25, 2014 at 12:15 PM.
May 25, 2014, 01:04 PM
For a couple years, I used an image of one of Bantocks A-class boats on my desktop background, even though I've never sailed one of these.

It's just that these are just that beautiful.

There are a few A-class models a few miles from me.
One is a Bithell, and the other is a "Glass Slipper" I forget the designers name.

This, like all other development classes are pinned in a position brought about by the development. Yes they are very much "Still A-Class boats"
You can't relegate the older ones to a basement for eternity. Although they are slower, they are still the same class.... From a different era. And should be given a chance to sail..
You'll find if all aspects of the class are active, the visibility brought about by it allows the most modern designs to continue pushing the envelope , while the older ones continue turning the marks until they turn to dust.

Then everybody wins.
Just sail similar eras together and let the fun start flowing
May 25, 2014, 03:08 PM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakwater
This, like all other development classes are pinned in a position brought about by the development. Yes they are very much "Still A-Class boats"
You can't relegate the older ones to a basement for eternity. Although they are slower, they are still the same class.... From a different era. And should be given a chance to sail..
You'll find if all aspects of the class are active, the visibility brought about by it allows the most modern designs to continue pushing the envelope , while the older ones continue turning the marks until they turn to dust.

Then everybody wins.
Just sail similar eras together and let the fun start flowing
Exactly.
May 25, 2014, 04:34 PM

A Class Disigns

Dont forget
Sidewinder mk11
UFO
Spraypack
All plans still available from Frank Russell (Australia)
May 25, 2014, 06:08 PM
Here is a new A Class launched yesterday. It seems very wide compared to mine!

Design is "Supernova"
May 27, 2014, 08:34 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Sail winch?
Would 2 x HS-785HB Hitec Sailwinch's one on the jib and the other for the main work or is there just too much sail area for the winch to work efficiently.
Have a great day
gp
May 27, 2014, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp.
Sail winch?
Would 2 x HS-785HB Hitec Sailwinch's one on the jib and the other for the main work or is there just too much sail area for the winch to work efficiently.
Have a great day
gp
Some of the Sweet 9's use a servo in the jib and another on the main there is also a third on the main boom that adjusts the out haul clew I bet that's something you haven't seen
May 27, 2014, 11:52 AM

Hi from Switzerland

Dear Gents,
its a pleasure to find this forum in RCgroups.
Enclosed you see my (very old) AClass.
Im not soooo interested in winning. Just sailing with a very nice boat.
(It is a Highlander .... to be restored ....)

Best Matthias
Last edited by grafwiloff; May 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM.
May 27, 2014, 12:38 PM

Another A Class

I cannot resist sending a picture of my Highlander, built in red cedear.

Unfortunately, I had to sell the boat, as I could no longer launch this 23kgs yacht without nearly falling into the lake every time.

Just bought a 6kgs Tenrater. A sizable boat at 170 cm, very quick, but much easier to handle.

Wim Bakker
Netherlands
May 27, 2014, 07:35 PM

Owzat!

Probably 45lbs @ 8kts. Doddle.