International A-Class yachts - Page 30 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Aug 08, 2017, 08:07 PM
My old school A boat. Just registered her with the AMYA and the class was shut down. Never got to race her but she is almost as big as a J boat.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 13, 2017, 09:20 AM
Is there a set of plans for the mako?
John
Aug 15, 2017, 01:58 PM
Hi All,

just another drive by from fleetwood, we've just posted up a video of the recent A Class Championships we're not on youtubes so I can't embed the video. hopefully its worth a watch. there's plenty of pictures and reports up relating to the A Class
Aug 15, 2017, 05:15 PM
Wow people still sail with vanes??? That looks interesting, but like way too much work... Very cool!
Aug 15, 2017, 07:42 PM
sfmyc races vane M, 36R, and X boats regularly. There is also a group in San Diego that sails 36R about 1x per month. There is a group going to England next month to race vane 36R. The closest we have to the A's is the X class in sf.

There are a few people who still make vanes if you need one.

Less stress than radio sailing.
Aug 16, 2017, 06:42 AM
Brighto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577
Less stress than radio sailing.
But strenuous. Kneeling, running, jumping in the water to keep your boat from smacking the wall. Plus the fact that when boats touch, the race must be restarted. Lot's of time is spent setting the proper trim, re-configuring the boat for a spinnaker run, etc. When the air gets heavy, it can be a foot race to keep up with your boat. I admire these guys who free sail, especially the larger A Class.

I think I'd still rather put the boat in the water and steer it around the course.
Aug 16, 2017, 11:22 AM
Watching the video, the boats seem to be struggling going to weather. To me they were pinching up and going quite slowly in the sloppy waves.

Q. Do RC A boats go faster upwind as they can be driven off and powered up? Has anyone sailed an RC A against a Vane boat to weather?

John
Aug 16, 2017, 12:41 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk
Hi All,

just another drive by from fleetwood, we've just posted up a video of the recent A Class Championships we're not on youtubes so I can't embed the video. hopefully its worth a watch. there's plenty of pictures and reports up relating to the A Class
Really difficult video to watch from that website - would someone mind if I download it and publish it on youtube?
Aug 16, 2017, 02:44 PM
go for it tarmstro be good to get it on youtube, cheers
Aug 16, 2017, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know if there are plans for the mako a-boat ?
Thank you,
John
Aug 16, 2017, 04:22 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_uk
go for it tarmstro be good to get it on youtube, cheers
Done! Looks you are the author? I mentioned original poster in title/description of the uploaded video:

A-Class Championship – Video Highlights (by Tim Lanigan) (11 min 0 sec)
Aug 16, 2017, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater
Does anyone know if there are plans for the mako a-boat ?
Thank you,
John
I had them at one time and mistakenly deleted them. I have not been able to get another file with the panel shapes unfortunately. Last time I aske Niel he was not in a position to send the files. I do hope that changes and he makes them available again.
Aug 16, 2017, 10:34 PM
Neil Goodrich, the mako designer is posting on this forum in the non foiling multihull thread. Try to pm him.
Aug 16, 2017, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest
But strenuous. Kneeling, running, jumping in the water to keep your boat from smacking the wall. Plus the fact that when boats touch, the race must be restarted. Lot's of time is spent setting the proper trim, re-configuring the boat for a spinnaker run, etc. When the air gets heavy, it can be a foot race to keep up with your boat. I admire these guys who free sail, especially the larger A Class.

I think I'd still rather put the boat in the water and steer it around the course.
-=cough=- Didn't they outlaw vane sailing here in the States after some old guy blew his hip out and had a heart attack while chasing down his boat? His wife sued the City of NY where the pond was... True story! (probably)

Currently reading Model Racing Yacht Construction by R. Griffin. And WOW are those boats complicated! The amount of adjustments they needed for the vane setups seems like they would even surpass those of most full sized yachts! And most of it was all handmade too! I would love to get my hands on an older vintage boat fully intact with a vane setup.

For now though I will stick with my much simpler RC setup. Although I have been staring at some multicopter flight controllers and wondering...
Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Story about Vane sailing being illegal in the US is a myth. In fact just a few years back there was a 36R international vane race in NYC....