International A-Class yachts - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 09, 2014, 09:45 PM
In vane sailing it is points for beating other boats, not time. Each leg is called a board and scored separately. Upwind is worth more than downwind. It's a lot of fun and teaches you a lot about sail trim.
to remove ads between posts
May 10, 2014, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slotracer577
In vane sailing it is points for beating other boats, not time. Each leg is called a board and scored separately. Upwind is worth more than downwind. It's a lot of fun and teaches you a lot about sail trim.
It teaches about hull design, the effects of a rudder and if you notice that massive luff towards the end, the wind patterns on a pond.

An afternoons racing of vane gear also provides about 2-3 miles brisk walking / jogging exercise.
May 10, 2014, 12:46 AM
[QUOTE=Dick L.;28329152]Of Interest

I'll "bite" with a non-owner question ........

How are positions scored/determined?
While I can see upwind, the order of finish is easy to identify and place position. However, if all boats start the downwind leg at the same time - what has happened to the time differential between when boats finish the upwind leg?

As a non-owner, I would have expected someone with a stopwatch for time differential to space out the start of a downwind leg by the difference in time .... i.e. If one wins upwind leg by 12 seconds - do they get a 12 second advantage on downwind start - and if not can you explain the basic scoring for a vane leg and complete multiple legs of a course?

Dick

I sailed vane many years ago, and unless its changed we used to score 3 points for an upwind leg and 2 for the downwind leg.
The days sailing constituted a round robin where everyone sailed everyone else, in a match racing scenario.
Only 2, boats against one another at a time. At the end of the day, scores were tallied up and a winner was declared. What happend though is that half the boats sailed upwind legs.....two by two........then turned round and did the downwind race.......this is so the skippers can "crew" for each other and assist on the opposite bank of the pond....

It was a very good learning experience. I only ever sailed Marbleheads, but can imagine that the A class boats would be a handfull with a spinnaker up on a run. Try stopping an 11kg missile in 30kts wind.........would think you almost would have to get into the water and wait for them. Standing on the bank would run the risk of damaging your baby?
May 10, 2014, 10:35 AM
Thanks guys - most appreciated. Didn't think about "points" as I had my head into time and distance differentials at finish lines.

Most appreciated.
May 11, 2014, 05:46 AM

Vane A-Class pictures

Guys
I had some pictures of last years Championships at Fleetwood. Here's the best of them.

This years Championships will be at Gosport in August, I'm sure there will be boats to charter if anyone wants ago.

JT
Name: image.jpg
Views: 146
Size: 103.0 KB
Description: . Name: image-097970f3.jpg
Views: 142
Size: 127.7 KB
Description: . Name: image-9d63161e.jpg
Views: 139
Size: 121.5 KB
Description: . Name: image-c6d2d171.jpg
Views: 171
Size: 194.5 KB
Description: . Name: image-c40468bf.jpg
Views: 161
Size: 144.7 KB
Description: .
May 12, 2014, 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp.
Has anyone got some good photos of a Venom A class. Thanks John for starting this thread.
Have a great day
gp
got this one.
May 13, 2014, 05:37 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Thanks Tony
Have a great day
May 23, 2014, 02:47 AM

New Design

Guys,
I've started preparing for a new winter project, I'm generating a new A-Class design on my PC. The drawing should be complete by the end of the summer, ready to start constructing the hull by the early autum and continue through the winter.

I'm taking inspiration from the America's Cup previous to last year. It should be interesting, my thought is a yacht with a displacement of 12.6kg, LOA 2100mm, Sail Area 1350 (ish) sq/in.

JT

Name: alinghi.jpg
Views: 130
Size: 47.2 KB
Description:
Last edited by john m taylor; May 23, 2014 at 05:46 AM.
May 23, 2014, 07:30 AM
Brighto?
I would like to start a spread sheet listing all available A class designs and suppliers. Other than Adrian Brewer, John Taylor and Graham Bantock, I'm not aware of any other designers. Let me know what is available in the way of plans, molded (mould for the folks across the pond) hulls, sails, rudders, keels, etc. and I'll put it on the list.
May 23, 2014, 08:36 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
All the best with your design is it going to be a vane or rc version.
May 23, 2014, 12:31 PM

Designs

GP, The new design will be for radio only.

Mike, as for other designs. Try this for starters.

1. Sword / Shield / Gunboat etc - Sails Etc.

2. Hardtack and a new launch 2014 - Dave Hollom.

3. Hippo / Lightning / Whisp - John Simpson.

4. Clockwork Orange / Lollipop / Sweet - Roger Stollery.

5. Revolution / Fragal? etc - (Chris Dicks) Mark Dicks.

6. Passive and a new launch for 2015 - Myself.

7. Unknown design - Mike Dann.

8. Venceremous (Spelling sorry) / Syanco - Ken Butler / (Bill Sykes). (May no longer be available).

9. New launch for 2014 - Peter Fothergill

10. Pearl - Martin Dovey
Last edited by john m taylor; May 23, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
May 23, 2014, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest
I would like to start a spread sheet listing all available A class designs and suppliers. Other than Adrian Brewer, John Taylor and Graham Bantock, I'm not aware of any other designers. Let me know what is available in the way of plans, molded (mould for the folks across the pond) hulls, sails, rudders, keels, etc. and I'll put it on the list.
Adrian Brewer's current designs are available in the plans catalogue from www.floataboat.com.au - it presently shows plans for four A Class boats
May 24, 2014, 03:48 AM
I've had a look at the link and there is some nice classic designs, but in the UK the shape and overall design of the A-Class has moved on a lot just recently. The displacement seems to be reducing and the boats are getting quicker. I hope to come over to Australia with my Dave Hollom design A-Class to compete in January 2015.
May 24, 2014, 06:26 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Designs
John, how does the Venom designed by Jon Holmes and I think David Munro may build them on your side of the globe perform against the latest designs.
Have a great day
May 24, 2014, 01:54 PM
GP
I first saw the 'Venom' in 2005 at Kogarah Bay during the A-Class Championships, then there was a few skippers sailing them. I was competing with a 'Sweet 6' back then. Soon after, your right the 'Venom' started to feature in the UK with Dave Munro building them. In this country they were seen as something different from the other UK yachts.

In light airs the 'Venom' was then quite competitive, but as soon as there was any weight in the wind the 'Venom' would start to suffer. Fourteen years on there are few, if any 'Venoms' racing on the UK circuit now, designs here have definitely moved forward.

I hope this answers your question.