International A-Class yachts - Page 28 - RC Groups
Apr 28, 2017, 07:38 AM
@Gooser: show us a picture of your highlander.
This is mine:
A-Class, rc sailing, Lenzerheide, Heidsee 08/2016 (21 min 51 sec)

(From Minute 4:14 it is cool ....)
Last edited by grafwiloff; Apr 28, 2017 at 07:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2017, 07:40 AM
And with Genua:
A-Class with Genoa, rc sailing (5 min 16 sec)
Apr 28, 2017, 07:45 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Looks like a Highlander - http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/highlanderA
Apr 29, 2017, 07:10 AM

Not a Highlander

Picked up Rachel today (boats name) definitely not a highlander. Similar keel and around the middle, has a bigger stern and bow lines are different but about the same size. It's the blue striped boat.

My Highlander has the red stripe and is the top photo (sailing).
Apr 29, 2017, 09:57 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooser1
Picked up Rachel today (boats name) definitely not a highlander. Similar keel and around the middle, has a bigger stern and bow lines are different but about the same size. It's the blue striped boat.

My Highlander has the red stripe and is the top photo (sailing).
Mystery remains....
Apr 29, 2017, 08:28 PM
Brighto?
Possibly a Kia-Kia? Published June 1974.
Apr 30, 2017, 03:12 AM
Hi Gooser, if you give us the LOA, Beam and Displacement we have a better chance of making an identification.

Cheers,

Terry
Apr 30, 2017, 10:04 AM
Thomas Armstrong
KiaKia has bottom end of rudder thinner than top... I see the reverse in the photo... Maybe bad mounting?

http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/kiaKia
May 01, 2017, 07:07 PM

Highlander (white/red) and Rachel the unknown (white/blue)

Highlander (white/red) and Rachel the unknown (white/blue)

here are a bunch of pics of my Highlander and the new purchase Rachel the unknown A class (I'm assuming A class)

Very very close to Kia Kia in shape but measurementsare a bit off

Here are Rachel's measurements as close as I could get them, so not super accurate but close

LOA 1918mm, 75.51 inches
LWL (of stripe) 1340mm, 52.75 inches
BWL 350mm, 13.77 inches
Beam 370mm, 14.56 inches
May 02, 2017, 06:37 AM
Challenge by John Lewis? Plans published in Model Maker magazine July 1971.

Cheers,

Terry
May 02, 2017, 07:54 AM
Thomas Armstrong
I say yes to Challenge.
May 02, 2017, 10:54 AM
Brighto?
Sure looks close.
May 09, 2017, 06:19 PM
FRD
FRD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Denest
Frank,
Welcome to the discussion. It's good to have designers here as they are the lifeblood of the A Class.

I have a couple of questions regarding Alien. Could you expand on your statement about the stern and could this design be updated to meet the current rule?

Alien is another example of "bigger is not necessarily better" in the A Class. Bob Stern's Orca II and III are also good designs that are not a "back breaker" to get in and out of the water.
Boats of this era had a hollow in the stern profile, so they had hollows in the hull above the waterline. The yellow boat shown had this hollow filled in.

The hollow is only a couple of mm deep and not hard to do.
May 10, 2017, 04:33 PM
I will say that the A-boats from the vane era are some beautiful designs. But while lovely and majestic on the water they are miserably slow against the more recent r/c designs that weigh 32 lbs or there about. Backbreakers, no, unwealdly, yes. The hulls now available are mostly from England, Bantock's hulls cost as much as a used car, but there are others that are not so dear, as well as others from Down-Under that are not so expensive. Shipping costs are the steep part. Getting a group of the like minded can order a few boat hulls to share these costs.
May 15, 2017, 07:52 AM
I agree. GB's sword is good and performs but I think Peter Wiles Sweet 9 is as good for much less money as a sword. Taylor's has one too ... not sure of the price. Dave Hollom did one too I think which looks good and should be as good.
FRD UFO is unknown really but his sidewider seems good though probably a bit outdated now. Wouldn't mind getting one second hand though but shipping is my biggest worry.

I should have the Argo back on the water this year and she will look good but I suspect won't be competitive - yet I'm restoring it for fun and have another A class on the water in Ireland.
Last edited by glouis; May 15, 2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added text