May 08, 2014, 10:37 AM
Actually there has been some recent design and building of new A boats in port Washington from a design by Neil Goodrich. Don't think your two meter boats can sail there. In a recent renovation the pond depth was limited so you can hardly sail an odom or US 1 meter there. Iom and 50/800 used to sail there and they are gone
to remove ads between posts
May 08, 2014, 11:03 AM
I have just received this message and picture from Richard Wills.

His boat is one of the exceptions to the general rule of thumb.....
Great pictures of the 2m AC yachts.....

John

I see you have started an RA thread on one of the forums.

Pics attached of my "Skip" RA design sailing at Hampton Court. Feel free to add this to the forum pics.

Disp is 7 kg. LOA around 1.6m. Flat bottom, flat sides. Has sailed succesfully in 25 knots wind with top rig. Designed for ease of transport etc for people who can't manage a normal heavy RA. Extremely strong construction.

Sailing upwind is similar to sailing a catamaran in that it works best if heeled. Less wetted area and long LWL.

Richard

Name: image.jpg
Views: 220
Size: 780.6 KB
Description: Skip design by Richard Wills
Last edited by john m taylor; May 08, 2014 at 11:17 AM.
May 08, 2014, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
Actually there has been some recent design and building of new A boats in port Washington from a design by Neil Goodrich. Don't think your two meter boats can sail there. In a recent renovation the pond depth was limited so you can hardly sail an odom or US 1 meter there. Iom and 50/800 used to sail there and they are gone
Bummer would love to come down, our draft is 735 mm.
May 08, 2014, 11:26 AM
Likely you would be on the bottom and standing out of the water in mill pond. Maybe still a very high tide. Other active New York venues are Central Park nyc with no depth limit but strange winds and small size and Eisenhower park in Long Island. Big site but you can't sail a full depth 50/800 there so you might be on the edge of working.
May 08, 2014, 11:46 AM
On another note we were contacted by an A class builder about using our mast section, if any of you are interested drop me a line: http://www.friessaildesign.com/
May 08, 2014, 12:20 PM
Rod Carr is the A Class coordinator for the Vintage Group, and if there is a resurgence of interest it would be nice to keep him informed.

Cheers,

Earl
May 08, 2014, 06:06 PM
I must agree with comments earlier in the thread re handling and transporting these larger boats. Our older members have a few issues handling them, we also sail mainly farm dams so you have to wade to launch. Also a squeeze in the car as well!

HOWEVER - if you ever have the chance to sail one of these big boats in a good wind, you WILL be hooked, they are great fun!

We have adopted the DF65 as a second sailed class and this has helped to maintain and grow membership, providing an alternative for those who have trouble handling the big boats.

My A Class "Illusion" is about 1800 mm long, a bit over 2 metres high when rigged and weighs in around 15Kg. Fully rigged on the stand it is around 2500mm high. The design is called "Heat Haze", designer is Adrian Brewer in Melbourne. It is a multi-chined hull with long overhangs fore and aft, an advantage upwind, particularly in a blow. The boat is all timber and was built by a local in my area. Instead of the usual RMG winches used in these boats, this one runs 2 Hitec winches, one for each sail.
May 09, 2014, 08:04 AM
Draft is not the limiting factor with A boats as the class rules limit the max. draft. If you are sailing IOMs or similar you have enough water to sail A boats.
May 09, 2014, 09:02 AM
gp.
gp.
gp
Has anyone got some good photos of a Venom A class. Thanks John for starting this thread.
Have a great day
gp
May 09, 2014, 09:09 AM
Brighto?
Has a list of available A class designs, plans and moldings (mouldings for across the pond ) been compiled?
May 09, 2014, 09:31 AM
This is a great site for A class info

http://radioaclass.wordpress.com/

John
May 09, 2014, 03:10 PM

Vane A-Class Film

A view from the other side of these prestigious yachts.

A short film showing the British (Vane) A-Class Championships at Gosport in 2012.

I'm sailing the GB design yacht 'Shield', sail number 10, wearing shorts and a white T-Shirt. The yacht is owned by Anthony Warren.

JT

Film:
MODEL YACHTS - VANE A NATIONALS 2012 - GIL EVANS - CONCORDE (7 min 36 sec)
Last edited by john m taylor; May 09, 2014 at 03:19 PM.
May 09, 2014, 04:16 PM
I am not sure it is healthy to post Vane A Class just before bed time John.

If skippers want to learn about boat balance they would do well to have a weekend sailing vane.
May 09, 2014, 06:27 PM
Scary to see a boat that big with a spinnaker as well!

While the class rules allows a spinnaker, nobody in my area is set up for one, I think because they are to prone to problems.
May 09, 2014, 08:10 PM
Of Interest

I'll "bite" with a non-owner question ........

How are positions scored/determined?
While I can see upwind, the order of finish is easy to identify and place position. However, if all boats start the downwind leg at the same time - what has happened to the time differential between when boats finish the upwind leg?

As a non-owner, I would have expected someone with a stopwatch for time differential to space out the start of a downwind leg by the difference in time .... i.e. If one wins upwind leg by 12 seconds - do they get a 12 second advantage on downwind start - and if not can you explain the basic scoring for a vane leg and complete multiple legs of a course?

Thanks, Dick