Apr 01, 2004, 12:46 AM
Thread OP

Why are there so many "Grumpy Old Men" in this hobby?

Yes thats my real subject. How come every time you turn around there is some old guy telling you that you did something wrong or could have done it better or etc... Other hobbies/sports dont have this much of a problem with these people. Or do they?

BTW im 43
to remove ads between posts
Apr 01, 2004, 01:22 AM
I'm 33, I would call you one of those grumpy old men
Apr 01, 2004, 01:26 AM
I gotta stage 5 clinger..
I agree, I have been on the prowl for a good field to fly at. I have met some real crotch's the past couple of weeks. The one thing they all seem to have in common is they are flying gas planes or helicopters.

On the other hand I think it should be noted that I have also met some great electric flyers at a couple sites, most pretty new to the hobby. As always i steer them towards the zone for info...
Apr 01, 2004, 01:35 AM
Thread OP
Its not the age its the attitude. I might be old but im not grumpy(only when my shrimp falls into the barbie).

ozzyflyer, how did you come to the conclusion that i was a "GOM"?
Last edited by k2rick; Apr 01, 2004 at 01:49 AM.
Apr 01, 2004, 01:47 AM
just mucking around k2rick...seeing you were older than me....that's all. no offense intended
Apr 01, 2004, 01:49 AM
Thread OP
no worries mate
Apr 01, 2004, 01:50 AM
I have had many hobbies and they all have grumpy old men and Ive gotten some of my best info and stories from them.
Apr 01, 2004, 02:23 AM
howdi partner (since we're trying to use Aussie Slang)

FYI...only Paul Hogan and you yanks call them shrimps

A true Aussie calls them "Prawns."

Re GOM..I have a theory....which is probably off the mark, but it's just a theory

As things change and technology improves. the way we used to do things become obsolete. in some ways, we lose respect for the old ways. Maybe these grumpy old men resent the things we fly and how we fly them now.

ie with a cheap parkflying electric:
- who does a range check EVERY time you fly.
- are you really that careful about how close you fingers are to the prop when you plug your battery in
- is a preflight check anything more than just wiggling the sticks
- can you walk onto the field, have a fly, then finish, all before a glowflyer has finished prepping his model

you get what i mean ?

I think that some people get used to the way they do things and want everyone to do it the same way.

I can imagine myself in 20 years flying my brushless lithium powered warbird for 20 minutes cursing those young whipper snappers and their dangerous nuclear cells flying scramjet powered models for 78 hours without a charge.
Apr 01, 2004, 02:38 AM
At 59 years young I think that I might get to be a grumpy old man
one day but remeber if you all live long enough you to will become a grumpy old men we hope. LOL
Apr 01, 2004, 02:50 AM
I think it's simpler than that. Some people are just natural whiners.

Some of them whine about all these kids coming in and messing about and they get called Grumpy Old Men.

Some of them whine about the more experienced people in the hobby who keep offering information whether it's wanted or not. These whiners call others Grumpy Old Men.

Same problem exactly. Some people just can't get on with anyone who does have identical interests to them .

BTW someone telling you how you could improve something you are attempting is often considered a good thing. In some other pursuits people pay these "coaches" lots of money .

Steve
Apr 01, 2004, 02:56 AM
T:W>1= :>)

Re: Why are there so many "Grumpy Old Men" in this hobby?

Quote:
Originally posted by k2rick
Yes thats my real subject. How come every time you turn around there is some old guy telling you that you did something wrong or could have done it better or etc... Other hobbies/sports dont have this much of a problem with these people. Or do they?

BTW im 43
Goldangit, you young wippersnappers think you know it all
don't 'cha.

BTW I'm 53
Apr 01, 2004, 03:44 AM
Silent Flight

Quote:

BTW im 43
K2rick:

I won't speculate as to why grumpy old guys floweth over, but they certainly do!

After working around/with/near plenty of grumps over the years, this is my favorite, often encountered scenerio:

Old Grump: "You did XYZ WRONG! This is how IT is done! I KNOW, because I've been doing IT this WAY for 40 YEARS!"

Smart Kid: "Have you ever considered the fact that you have been doing it WRONG for the past 40 years?"

I've used the "smart kid" response a few times. It never went over too well.

Dave
Apr 01, 2004, 04:14 AM
Over the hill?
What hill?
I dont remember no hill, dag blast it!

Allons, Randy
Apr 01, 2004, 04:26 AM
Let's face it, if your wife is so ugly and mean spirited that escaping to the company of a bunch of sad geeks covered in castor oil flying a bunch of toy planes looks attractive, then you would be grumpy too...
Apr 01, 2004, 06:24 AM
eflyguy

Quote:
Why are there so many "Grumpy Old Men" in this hobby?
.. because they had to deal with wet fuel engines for so long..
..a

Quick Reply