Marek Rokowski Simple FPV Goggle Kit - RC Groups
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by mike_kelly, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 06, 2014, 02:04 PM
Wisconsin
Discussion

Marek Rokowski Simple FPV Goggle Kit


I have been concerned with the purchase of FPV goggles that my eyes may not land in the range that the optics of most mass produced goggles are designed. They are an expensive option and if they don't fit, or work for me, I would be stuck with them.

As an alternative to commerical goggles, I came across this post
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2133851
about a kit made by a fellow in Poland. It uses a single 3.5" lcd monitor mounted in a custom made case. The virtures of this approach, for me, are that there is no inter-pupal distance to be concerned about, there is only one screen not two. Next I can use my own glasses, which I needed to do in addition to the supplied Fresnel lense.

I received my kit today and I am very impressed. Marek has produced a brilliantly simple product. Very carefully thought out with everything I needed, except the LCD screen, to assemble the goggles in about 20 minutes following Mareks Youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=U...&v=fetXd5wQ8co

I used the recommended lcd monitor linked to at his website(http://napolskimniebie.pl/_oferta/oferta.htm#rwd13).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-5-Digital-...item257f7d134f

I don't believe this monitor is actually 640x480 as indicated by the ebay seller. It looks closer to 320x200 by counting pixels. But it is a sharp lcd and works fine. I think the issue is what your FPV camera is actually sending to the ground station. It doesn't do any good to have a higher quality lcd display if the transmitted signal is lower resolution.

I ordered directly from Marek. His website does not have a shopping cart so I just emailed him to make arrangement. He was easy to do business with. He now has a US retailer partner also:
http://www.quadframe.us/products/fpv-video-googles

It would be interesting if Marek decides to produce another model designed for the 5" 800x480 monitors, that display at a true 640x480 in 4:3 aspect ratio.

Here are my completed goggles, I am using a 600 line Panasonic Camera for these pictures:


Views of the actual screen in action from inside the goggles:



Last edited by mike_kelly; May 06, 2014 at 02:44 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
May 06, 2014, 02:47 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Great review!

"It would be interesting if Marek decides to produce another model designed for the 5" 800x480 monitors, that display at a true 640x480 in 4:3 aspect ratio."

He PM'd me and he said he is setting up arrangements w/manufacturer for 5" monitor.
All the specific FPV monitors sold at FPV vendors are minimum 5" monitor.


ie.....
These are 5" monitors on HMD. Its the perfect size!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...11&postcount=4
Last edited by rclab1; May 06, 2014 at 03:12 PM.
May 06, 2014, 04:14 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Great review!

"It would be interesting if Marek decides to produce another model designed for the 5" 800x480 monitors, that display at a true 640x480 in 4:3 aspect ratio."

He PM'd me and he said he is setting up arrangements w/manufacturer for 5" monitor.
All the specific FPV monitors sold at FPV vendors are minimum 5" monitor.


ie.....
These are 5" monitors on HMD. Its the perfect size!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...11&postcount=4
Good news. I think he will do well with a 5" design. I have a 5" 800x480 monitor and it is much better resolution. I liked your "Punk FPV" project. Turned out great!
May 06, 2014, 05:22 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
I have those 3.5" ebay monitors, they are a bit better resolution
then my FatShark Dominators! The 5" will blow away any goggles!
I cant find the LINK to the L.E.D. 5" monitors I found a couple months ago.
May 06, 2014, 05:38 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
I have those 3.5" ebay monitors, they are a bit better resolution
then my FatShark Dominators! The 5" will blow away any goggles!
I cant find the LINK to the L.E.D. 5" monitors I found a couple months ago.
=========

These are the ones I found and they are indeed higher resolution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301114673614...84.m1439.l2649

Cheers
May 06, 2014, 05:58 PM
Registered User
tstrike's Avatar
Do those ebay monitors blue screen at all? Sure are cheap...
May 06, 2014, 06:49 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrike
Do those ebay monitors blue screen at all? Sure are cheap...
They certainly are and it looks good. Who knows how long they will last. The 3.5" will eventually blank out but it doesn't do it abruptly. I have not tested the 800x480 5" at the limits yet.
May 07, 2014, 12:55 AM
Registered User
What is the effective FOV with this setup?
May 07, 2014, 01:37 AM
Registered User
rinatka7's Avatar
Guys, hello from Russia
You can make yourself this FPV helmet!

Here is google translated link to .RU forum about fpv helmet -
https://translate.google.ru/translat...-text=&act=url

Here it is some photo with helmet -
https://www.google.ru/search?q=%D1%8...w=1024&bih=677

Here it is link to screen which used in helmet -
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...240138172.html

Here it is link to Fresnel lens -
http://ru.aliexpress.com/item/Pocket...765459973.html
May 07, 2014, 02:55 AM
eYeboxFPV
victorbah's Avatar
Here it is link to HMD eyeboxFPV
http://www.eyeboxfpv.com/
May 07, 2014, 01:23 PM
Wisconsin
Lots of good ideas!

I think the advantage of Marek's design is that it is easy for anyone to assemble and it is small, compact and lightwieght.

SirRexAlot,
I have not measured it but I would guess fairly narrow.

Cheers.
May 07, 2014, 01:48 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRexAlot
What is the effective FOV with this setup?

Its huge, its a unfair comparison to compare it to my Dominator Goggles.
Look at my blog, I have several HMD images. The FOV
is immense Its one big screen in front of our skull with a 3+ Fresnel Lens

p.s.
I don't really care what I look like when FPV'ing,
I'm usually the only one at the field when flying anyways
May 12, 2014, 01:34 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly
=========

These are the ones I found and they are indeed higher resolution:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301114673614...84.m1439.l2649

Cheers
Thanks for the link! So I think I might be confused, are you using the 5" in your goggles or the 3.5" recommended screen?

I have the 3.5" screen on the way but I'm waiting until someone else tries out the 5" version to see if they will fit. It doesn't look like there is much room in these for a 5" screen. (I could be wrong)

I've seen some people mention moding the goggles to work with a 5" screen but haven't seen any pictures. If you are using the 5" screen, I would love to see pictures.

Thanks!
-Chris
May 12, 2014, 02:45 PM
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamgar5k
Thanks for the link! So I think I might be confused, are you using the 5" in your goggles or the 3.5" recommended screen?

I have the 3.5" screen on the way but I'm waiting until someone else tries out the 5" version to see if they will fit. It doesn't look like there is much room in these for a 5" screen. (I could be wrong)

I've seen some people mention moding the goggles to work with a 5" screen but haven't seen any pictures. If you are using the 5" screen, I would love to see pictures.

Thanks!
-Chris
I used the 3.5" so I would not have to mod. The 5" would be nice but it appears you must cut-off the whole back of the case and then glue the HD monitor on to the back. It seems a little harder. I have not seen finished pictures of such a mod yet either. But in a message above it looks like Marek may be working on a 5" version so I think I'll wait.

Cheers
May 12, 2014, 03:22 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
From Marek,
the 5" Goggle Frame version is in production,
so a 5"monitor will be a direct fit!....

but incase
you cant wait, here is what he mentioned about the 3.5" version:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=26

Thread Tools