to remove ads between posts
Oct 22, 2014, 09:43 AM
Pompano Hills Flyers
1/8" is to wide to use. So have to go with 3/32". Sad part is I lost the ball links that Ian sent. Does anyone know what size they were?

DJ
Oct 24, 2014, 10:05 AM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin56
Hi James,
here' a couple of p[ictures to help a little bit.

I always use blocks fo blue foam to bridge the upper and lower skins in all moldies.

The stock glass horns do the job nicely, I fit the clevises before gluing in the horns to make it neater.

I glue the horn so the clevis is just proud of the wiper and then once set I use a needle file on the bottom of the top skin to allow for movement.

Hope this helps

Ian
Followed Ian's instructions to a T. Except rather than the aileron control horn just past the wiper surface, the clevis took that honor. Just barley touching the bottom of the skin. A little 400 grit sandpaper will take care of any resistance. No need to remove and surface material. The same may not be true for the flap but I'm good with it. Pictures will soon follow.

DJ
Oct 25, 2014, 12:03 AM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Here are the pics I promised. The horn install came out perfect. Just below the skin with no binding issues. The same came out with the flap control horn.

DJ
Nov 06, 2014, 12:41 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
No flight report yet kids. Just got back from vacation, started new job, and my transmitter took a dump. Got a new/used Jr 9303 so I'm back in business. Crappy thing I'd I have to reprogram ALL my gliders...

DJ
Nov 06, 2014, 12:42 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Finally figured it out. Sigh.... Tomorrow doesn't look good to fly. So tonight I'll be installing the v tail linkage. Do you think I should move then a little more aft or grind out a groove in the fuse to prevent binding?
Last edited by Dangerous James; Nov 07, 2014 at 12:22 PM.
Nov 12, 2014, 10:51 AM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Well it looks like Sunday is the maiden. The build is simple and my first F3F. The only technical issue I had was the v tail peg is a little to aft and binds with the swivel link. Had to shorten it a bit but works well.

DJ
Nov 21, 2014, 05:05 AM
Thermal Wrangler
How'd the maiden go?
Nov 22, 2014, 11:48 AM
dare to thermal
Can anyone compare handling and performance of an Willow2 and an FS3?
Nov 22, 2014, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner
Can anyone compare handling and performance of an Willow2 and an FS3?
Last edited by wakumann; Nov 22, 2014 at 02:57 PM.
Nov 22, 2014, 04:27 PM
Cost performance Euro 800,- vs 1800,-
Nov 22, 2014, 08:30 PM
I don't know Thomas I think your FS was accelerating a little quicker then my W2 when we cut each others wings off, but I didn't have quite a full load of ballast. :-)
I do know for sure that spending another $1600 over what the willow cost would not make me any faster or have more fun.
Nov 30, 2014, 08:02 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Holy sh what an awesome glider. The winds weren't the best but it was all I had. I started with 105mm and realized it needed more nose weight. I added little over an ounce and it did much better. Think I need a little more. The throws were set as Ian sent. I had a little too much down trim on the v tail when I dropped the flaps. Just amazing on how little I need. I floats and glides so gently. Speed is HOLY SH. And that's without ballast. Then it happened. A friend of mine flew his glider into my path and we mid aired. He was flying a foam glider with balsa sheeting. His wing was confetti and I kept gliding through without loosing a step. My left wings leading edge got a little nicked. A little ca and some wet sanding will clear it up. And some acetone to remove the covering color. LOL I'll send pics soon.

DJ
Nov 30, 2014, 08:21 PM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Here's the result of what happens when a sheeted foam wing meets an F3f glider. LOL

DJ
Dec 01, 2014, 04:24 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous James
Holy sh what an awesome glider. The winds weren't the best but it was all I had. I started with 105mm and realized it needed more nose weight. I added little over an ounce and it did much better. Think I need a little more. The throws were set as Ian sent. I had a little too much down trim on the v tail when I dropped the flaps. Just amazing on how little I need. I floats and glides so gently. Speed is HOLY SH. And that's without ballast. Then it happened. A friend of mine flew his glider into my path and we mid aired. He was flying a foam glider with balsa sheeting. His wing was confetti and I kept gliding through without loosing a step. My left wings leading edge got a little nicked. A little ca and some wet sanding will clear it up. And some acetone to remove the covering color. LOL I'll send pics soon.

DJ
Glad you like the Willow 2! you had me worried about more mind airs in the USA, but we build 'em tough.

Looking forward to more news, kidsa and christmas are getting in the way of me flying mine!

Ian

Quick Reply