This thread is privately moderated by Larrikin, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 04, 2014, 05:48 PM
Everything's A Compromise
Thread OP
Discussion

Larrikin's Lair

I have the privilege of being able to build a purpose-built model workshop/Man Cave.
It's been months in the preparation stage but today the first sod has been turned and I plan to blog the progress.

Please jump in with any suggestions along the way.

Very VERY excited.
Last edited by Larrikin; May 04, 2014 at 10:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 04, 2014, 07:00 PM
sleep hard
I'm in. I love man cave builds. May even inspire me to finish mine off some time soon....

Congrats on being able to design and construct your purpose built facility. Looking forward to seeing what ideas you have come up with. And what models come out of it.

Regards, Dave.
May 05, 2014, 05:35 PM
Thread OP
At the end of play yesterday the pad is levelled.
I notified the concreter and he said that he'll be here to start on the slab prep within the next 2 weeks. 2 weeks???

Oh well ... it's been months so far, so another cuppla weeks wont matter.

D.
May 05, 2014, 11:45 PM
working to the closest cm

Roof insulation

Watching with interest :-)

As discussed Dave. Some form of room insulation. Was at the lacal bowling club on WE and noticed the used a silver bubble wrapp type material under the roof sheeting.

Probably an advance on what I have ... foil backed pinkbat ontop of chicken wire.

Cheers Jeff
May 05, 2014, 11:46 PM
working to the closest cm
Are you planning water, data cables etc??

Sometimes these need considering before the slab goes down
May 06, 2014, 04:07 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Jeff,

The insulation consideration is covered (pun intended)
The roof and the western wall will have the silver foily stuff.

Re data, water and power ... we're wireless for data in the house and the shed will be well in range.
Water ... hmmmm still working on that one.
Power ... the 'lecky is coming this week to form a plan of attack.

Not sure whether to put 3 phase out there. I'm confidant that I won't use it but it's been suggested to put it in anyway for resale purposes.

D.
May 08, 2014, 08:21 PM

Data connection

Hi Dave,

Considering my recent experiences at home, and depending on how important data connectivity is for the shed, it might be a good idea to run a data cable to the man cave.

At home here, I have recently run a data cable (well the sparky did!) from my router upstairs to a new wireless point downstairs. This was done because the WiFi downstairs was not reliable enough, and very slow. I was finding myself walking my laptop upstairs for the bigger downloads for better performance.

Just thought you should know, not sure what building material you will be making your man cave from and how that will impact your WiFi signal.

Cheers,
Frank
May 11, 2014, 07:08 PM
Thread OP

It's starting to come together now.

Half a shed arrived this morning. the balance is due for delivery on Friday.
Still no word from the concreter about the slab yet. Patience David, ... patience.
May 12, 2014, 03:25 AM
Thread OP
And later today the roller doors arrived. I thought it was a little extreme to use such a big truck for such a small load .

Considering that the doors would have fitted on the first truck and that they were from the same company
May 12, 2014, 04:09 AM
sleep hard
What size shed will it be Dave?

And regarding data cabling, when I built the shed in the backyard, I didn't even consider a data cable because I assumed it would be in wireless range, but I've found quite often depending on weather I can't get good wireless reception inside the shed, and need to perch a laptop on a stool if not outside the shed, then right in the doorway. Wish I'd put a cable in!
May 12, 2014, 04:47 AM
Thread OP
Hey Dave,

The size is 12m x 6m with a 3m gable extension so the slab is 15m x 6m.
See the attached PDF.

Re data cables etc. ... today, while waiting for the shed to be unloaded off the truck, my eyes drifted to the wall of the house nearest the shed location. I saw what looked like a grey, circular fitting down low on the wall, behind a stack of bricks that's been there since we moved in, in January.

To cut a long story short, the people that built the house must have wired the wall with the intention of building a shed in the same place!!!

With the power already routed through the wall, it should be a snap to add a data cable and even 3 phase to take across to the shed.

Discussing the shed build with my partner, the inside of the "shed" will be more like a rumpus room with building benches. Thinking of resale, it will make a perfect teen/offspring retreat. Plus it will inspire me to keep it tidy instead of it becoming a "shed".

David
May 12, 2014, 05:01 AM
sleep hard
Nice! Plenty of plane building room.....
May 16, 2014, 02:21 AM
Thread OP
So, do you want the good news or the bad news.

Ok, the good news first.
The frames, windows and doors arrived today.

Now for the bad news.
The windows and sliding doors will be going back.
I asked for obscured glass and I got clear.
I also asked for insect screens for the windows and the sliding door ... Nup

Anyhoo, it's under way at least. "You can't steer a parked car" as they say.
May 21, 2014, 07:00 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Ah, Dave when you said your blog, I thought you meant the one on your My RC GRoups member page thingy. Just found this!

Very frustrating about the wrong gear being sent.

12 x 6m plus the extra outside bit .... Wow!!!
May 22, 2014, 01:23 AM
Thread OP
Re Blog, I thought it is at the "My RC GRoups member page thingy"

Just click on the "Larrikin's Lair" heading.

Re wrong glass, the shed supplier has been notified by the window supplier that the glass will be easier to replace once the windows and doors are installed.

Re shed size, I'll have a model trailer in there too but, yeah ... it should go alright, hey?

Quick Reply