May 01, 2014, 08:44 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Build Log

Mig-15 and F86 Sabre

mrshea and myself have decided to do a joint build of these 2 great airplanes

Phil (mrshea) will be building the Sabre and I will be building the Mig

These are new drawings and plans and haven't yet been tested so it will be interesting to see how things work out

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Feb 09, 2017 at 04:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2014, 02:32 AM
Teddy Ong
Nice looking planes! I look forward to seeing how good they fly after being built.
May 02, 2014, 02:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ong
Nice looking planes! I look forward to seeing how good they fly after being built.
Thanks Teddy .. so do I

Lockey

EDIT ... PLANS POSTED HERE

Here are the plans/ patterns for the F86 .. they are untested
posted Dec 20th 2014

Plans are now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 04, 2016 at 07:44 AM.
May 02, 2014, 07:33 AM
Thread OP
Got the plans printed today and made a bit of a start on the build

I decided to do the wings first and felt that it wasn’t necessary to use all the ribs, the inner rib helps take the shape and the balsa spar takes care of the rest.

I used aluminium tube in the wing so I could glue it in place ready to slide a 4 mm CF tube inside when I join the wings through the fuselage

Very quick to do the wings this way.

I haven’t glued the aileron servo into the wing as I thought I would make a cut-out under the wing and fit it in later … Phil … you may have to make some covers for the push rods and servo arms as your one is a low wing or … it may be possible to use torque rods for the ailerons … what do you think?

Lockey

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 02, 2014 at 08:03 AM.
May 02, 2014, 07:42 AM
michigan jet guy
i got the plans printed too. Hope to get parts cut out this weekend. What size fan are using. Nedd to get one so need to know size. Phil
May 02, 2014, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshea
i got the plans printed too. Hope to get parts cut out this weekend. What size fan are using. Nedd to get one so need to know size. Phil

It is for a 64 mm EDF Phil, but a 70 would fit in there if you would rather

Lockey
May 03, 2014, 03:54 AM
Thread OP
Little more of the build, I used 6 mm Depron for the wings and other parts, only using MPF for all the bendy bits

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 03, 2014 at 07:06 AM.
May 03, 2014, 05:06 AM
sub'd, nice lockey! you always build nice planes. i look forward to seeing it finished.
May 03, 2014, 06:48 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Su-33, more build

So far, all the parts had gone together well, had to sand about 1 mm or so all round on the cutouts of all the formers for the inner tubes (might change this a bit on the plans) only a light sanding of the formers for the outer tubes to fit

64 mm EDF was a perfect fit inside the tube I made ... bear in mind, I am using MPF for all the bendy bits, Depron might be a little different sizing

I am thinking that I might use torque rods with 2 servo's for the ailerons

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; May 03, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
May 03, 2014, 07:16 AM
Bipes Rule!

Mig servos

By the last pic I see that maybe you have chosen to put servos in fuse not in tail? I installed the Elevator /aileron servos as far forward in the Mig 15 fuse as I could. I used .026 guages solid unwound Guitar strings. This was the only control wire I could get to travel smoothly through all the turns and laminations while still strong enough to get full throw. Available at local music store. I used two wires to controll both sides of elevator simutainiously. Sorry this Mig isn't as beautiful as yours internally . This Mig has found a tree a high speed with my bad depth perception .So the inside has had some modifications. Your build is really really nice work. Dennis
Last edited by RITTMEISTER; May 19, 2014 at 01:51 PM.
May 03, 2014, 08:49 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RITTMEISTER
By the last pic I see that maybe you have chosen to put servos in fuse not in tail? I installed the rudder/elevator servos as far forward in the Mig 15 fuse as I could. I used .026 guages solid unwound Guitar strings. This was the only control wire I could get to travel smoothly through all the turns and laminations. I used two wires to controll both sides of elevator simutainiously. Sorry this Mig isn't as beautiful as yours internally . This Mig has found a tree a high speed with my bad depth perception sometimes. So the inside has had some modifications. Your build is really really nice work. Dennis
Thanks Dennis, your Mig is a good looking bird never the less

Yes, I decided to try and keep all the weight I could up front (or not at the back) so will be doing a single serve to control the elevators with 2 wires to the back ... I don't intend to do a rudder at this stage

I hope the piano wire I have will slide OK inside the plastic tubes

I will try it as a belly take off and landing but may have to bit the bullet and fit landing gear

Lockey
May 03, 2014, 08:55 AM
Teddy Ong
Nice build so far! It seems more complex and yet simple and enticing for me at the same time.
May 03, 2014, 10:13 AM
Bipes Rule!

Aileron/elevator servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
Thanks Dennis, your Mig is a good looking bird never the less

Yes, I decided to try and keep all the weight I could up front (or not at the back) so will be doing a single serve to control the elevators with 2 wires to the back ... I don't intend to do a rudder at this stage

I hope the piano wire I have will slide OK inside the plastic tubes

I will try it as a belly take off and landing but may have to bit the bullet and fit landing gear

Lockey
Sorry bout that I meant Aileron/Elevator servos in forward fuse.
On the Mig 15 I have here I have to apply full up Elevator on steep dives . That is with full throw 140% and hopefully a lot of altitude. Maybe because of the far rear prop? The COG is correct but I have had some near misses or near hits whatever you call them. All crashes hurt , but this Mig with the time it took to build I am extra extra nervous about unscheduled landings. Could probably crack a walnut behind me while flying this one. So build the Elevator alittle Bigger! Dennis
Last edited by RITTMEISTER; May 03, 2014 at 10:29 AM.
May 03, 2014, 07:47 PM
Thread OP
Hey Dennis, where is the CG on your's ? ... this is where I had it on my test one (see pic)

Quote:
Nice build so far! It seems more complex and yet simple and enticing for me at the same time.
Thanks Teddy ... MPF is a lot easier to roll than Depron as it doesn't need any tape to stop it cracking, and ... once you get the hang of rolling the stuff, it is a very quick build .. I use different sizes of tube (plastic or wood ) to roll the MPF around.

I am thinking maybe do a torque rod ailerons .. see pic

Lockey

PS. anyone know how to straighten plastic tube ?
Last edited by Lockey; May 03, 2014 at 09:30 PM.
May 03, 2014, 09:58 PM

mig 15

nice build lockey looking forward to getting my project done and try a foam plane sam

Quick Reply