Mar 25, 2019, 05:42 PM
Carrera, I have covered most of my 1/4-1/3 with Ceconite.I get the lightest grade from aircraft spruce. I used to stick it down with SIG Stixit but have used the fullscale adhesive from Aircraft spruce (listed below)

I use the adhesion dope/glue on the wood. iron it down like fabric covering ,reseal the edges. Shrink it, and foam brush paint acrylic or latex right over it and it adheres great.. there is ZERO need to dope the ceconite or seal it with any toxic primer etc. The fabric doesn't get real baggy or anything looks great when finished.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=19010

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...?clickkey=3845
to remove ads between posts
Mar 26, 2019, 12:18 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Thread OP
Good information. I can keep using Rustoleum then. That's good news.
Mar 26, 2019, 09:42 PM
Thread OP
Still needs gauges and other bits.
Sep 05, 2019, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Completed the maiden flight in her new colors. Needed some trimming in the air but she's the gentle giant I remember.

Rhinebeck bound! See you all up there.
Sep 07, 2019, 01:30 AM
Isn't there a major loss of realism when seeing something like this flying around, sounding not like an airplane, but like a hair dryer???
Last edited by EloyM; Sep 10, 2019 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Sep 07, 2019, 08:38 PM
You really don't hear the motor at all, just prop noise , and the wind thru the struts and wings..
I use a 23/12 prop on my electric 1/4 scales and it does make a nice but quiet sound flying by. it also allows vibration free video footage from on board if you like doing that.
Sep 15, 2019, 06:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by EloyM
Isn't there a major loss of realism when seeing something like this flying around, sounding not like an airplane, but like a hair dryer???
I prefer the "hair dryer" to the chainsaw sound. The only wet fuel engines that sound nice are the large 4-strokes. The rest sound like buzzing bees. Completely annoying . Add to that the mess that fuel makes of the model soaking into the wood and covering. I'll keep my electrics.
Sep 16, 2019, 03:48 PM
Thread OP
Look for some raw video later tonight of the white stag flying. Did a single flight. Lovely as usual.
Sep 16, 2019, 03:59 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02

CarreraGTSCS

I looked for you at Rhinebeck but to no avail. I asked Rich Ferroldi and his sister Linda which of the Manhattan Project you might be but I couldn't remember your "handle" on RCG so no luck finding you. I flew there Thursday, Friday, Saturday , and Sunday. Tom
Sep 16, 2019, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
I looked for you at Rhinebeck but to no avail. I asked Rich Ferroldi and his sister Linda which of the Manhattan Project you might be but I couldn't remember your "handle" on RCG so no luck finding you. I flew there Thursday, Friday, Saturday , and Sunday. Tom
I saw you every day! I didn't know that was you. Lol This is me. Kind of hard to miss. Short guy, shaved head, pirate beard. Usually laughing. Lol. I flew the Nieuport and the Monocoupe.
Sep 16, 2019, 08:04 PM
Thread OP
These are the first and only video clips I have of the Fokker flying. These are from my phone but my friend shot a full length video on her 4K Sony. When she edits and posts it I'll put it here too.

Takeoff:
Electric 1/4 Scale BALSA USA Fokker DVII Takeoff (1 min 5 sec)

Flight clip:
BALSA USA Fokker DVII flight clip (0 min 18 sec)

Landing:
Landing in the Rough (0 min 39 sec)

We have a nice field but the park's groundskeepers hardly ever cut the full length of the field. I'd forgotten about that and didn't realize how long the grass was on the end of the strip. As soon as the landing gear wing gets into long grass it's game over/nose over at landing speed. Put a minor crack in the upper part of the rudder.
Sep 17, 2019, 08:36 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
Put a name with that face so I can remember you. I don't remember the Nieuport but I sure remember that big Monocoupe. I love that thing. I built a smaller one years ago and did it up just like the one Cole had, black and yellow. Sold it many years ago and regret doing so. I have another AstroFlite Monocoupe kit in the queue, if I can ever get to it. Tom
Sep 17, 2019, 08:50 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith
Put a name with that face so I can remember you. I don't remember the Nieuport but I sure remember that big Monocoupe. I love that thing. I built a smaller one years ago and did it up just like the one Cole had, black and yellow. Sold it many years ago and regret doing so. I have another AstroFlite Monocoupe kit in the queue, if I can ever get to it. Tom
The Nieuport was recently repaired so it was missing part of the right top wing roundel. I'm always pitted with Adam Liley and the JCSF group. We camp in the upper right parking/camping area.

We all went straight from Rhinebeck to the NEAT Fair in Downsville. I put a camera on the top of the wing of the Monocoupe and did some video of the valley. Maybe next year I'll do the same at Rhinebeck.

Is your Astro Monocoupe the 1/4 scale one like mine or the smaller one?

Mike

Flying High Above the 2019 NEAT Fair (4 min 16 sec)
Sep 17, 2019, 10:12 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
No wonder no one knew you under Rich Feroldi's tent. My bad. Adam and I go way back. When I was CD up there I was always after him for dive bombing the buildings across the runway from the flight line. And I see he is still up to it. Some things never change. I haven't been to NEAT in years. Matter of fact, Tom Hunt sent me a personal invitation this year but we had already been up north for two weeks and Elaine wasn't going for a third week. My Astro Monocoupe kit is the 48" one. My original had a Cox .049 black widow on it and used rudder and elevator. She flew till she rand out of fuel then glided down. It would have been nice to have throttle control but this was many moons ago and that was all I could afford. If I ever get to building the one in the box it will be e powered and should be much easier to fly with throttle control. . Tom

Quick Reply